Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Suppressor

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by new21022 View Post
    I would only recommend the SWR Spectre and if they ever release the new core the AAC Prodigy.

For all things considered I think the Spectre is the better buy because its SS and will last forever no matter what. It is a little heavier then the Prodigy though.

I've done quiet a bit of research on .22 cans. I wouldn't recommend anything other then those two.

Thanks, a the fellas at silencertalk.com recommended the very same one to me for my purposes.
    The biggest considerations, given my research, for a suppressor are:
    -durability and longevity
    -ease of use and ability to clean
    -solid construction(stainless)
    cosmetics and weight are non-factors in my search. I want something that will LAST and is "overbuilt" as I have been told that the Spectre IS.
    I am saving all of my money for this as we speak.If all goes according to plan, I should have the money for this around March or April.
    Then, I'll need to save a bit more to have a gunsmith buddy of mine recrown and thread the barrels of my .22 and .17 to accept this suppressor.

I just bought a few boxes of .22lr sub-sonic ammo in preparation for this new addition.
    I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Feedback Score

Default WOW

My suppressors are AWC and I love them. The company is easy to get hold and they return your calls and have been very reliable. 2/3 run on FA's.

As for shooting subsonic 22's---- check with the manufacturer, I was told by AWC not to use that type of ammo because it is slower burning and dirtier.

Besides, they really aren't any quieter but cost more.

Feedback Score

In pistols it might not matter, but in rifles most standard velocity [bulk pack] rounds have the supersonic crack...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Poverty Ridge View Post
    My suppressors are AWC and I love them. The company is easy to get hold and they return your calls and have been very reliable. 2/3 run on FA's.

As for shooting subsonic 22's---- check with the manufacturer, I was told by AWC not to use that type of ammo because it is slower burning and dirtier.

Besides, they really aren't any quieter but cost more.

Iheard the same thing about the subsonic ammo, BUT I ALSO heard that they help in rifles, moreso than in pistols.
    Appaerently the shorter barreled pistols offer less noise than the longer barreled rifles. So you would have better results with a sub round in the rifle?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Velocity on most .22 LR rounds maxes out around 14" down the bbl, go over about 18" and it actually slows down due to the friction and dropping pressure behind the bullet. So a pistol with a short bbl is going to keep most rounds subsonic just because the pressure hasn't built to max before it leaves the bbl.

You get a lot more blast from the gunshot though, since the unburned powder and hot gas are exiting the short bbl and continuing to burn in the open air. This is why a rifle is quieter to shoot than a pistol. (sans suppressors, of course!) The rifle bbl has burned all the powder, and if it is a bit longer than 16" min length the pressure is dropping as well. Less noise from the expanding gases, but faster bullet that may go supersonic.

In most pistol and rifle suppressors, subsonic rounds will produce a quieter shot since the supersonic crack is gone and the reduced powder charge means less gas to deal with. The pistol may not require subsonic ammo to eliminate bullet flight noise, but the rifle does.

OTOH, some advanced designs use the high pressure gas to work against itself, redirecting the gas flow to disrupt the tendency of the gas to want to blow right out through the central hole in the baffles. On some of them, if the pressures drop below a certain point they actually get louder as the efficiency of the flow disruption drops with the pressure.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I just got a Walther P22 with the 5"bbl I wanted to get a good suppressor that I could take apart to clean. Anybody know if this is a good thing most of the ones I've found you can't take apart to clean. I don't even know if you have to clean suppressors but i would think for it to last a long time and work good you would

Oh what would be a better bbl length I was going to get the 3.5"bbl so i could swap them out All the pics i see online have the suppressors on the 3.5" bbl. I wanted the shorter one to get two guns out of one

Feedback Score

If you're shooting .22 then get a cleanable one, .22 is really dirty in general...

Feedback Score

Hi Folks, I'm new here. I have used the AAC Aviator and find it to be extremely efficient on both rifle and pistol. Use the Remington standard velocity target ammo in the rifle and it is exceptionally quiet. On a 4 inch TS upper on a 22/45 you can use any 22 LR ammo with good results.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Master Blaster how do you clean a suppresser if cant take it apart? do you need to clean them a lot or do you just spray them off any input will help me greatly i'm planing on getting one soon but i have no clue on how to keep the thing clean so they will last all so i will be putting it on a 10/22 and a walther p22

Feedback Score

Default subsonic ammo

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    Thanks, a the fellas at silencertalk.com recommended the very same one to me for my purposes.
    The biggest considerations, given my research, for a suppressor are:
    -durability and longevity
    -ease of use and ability to clean
    -solid construction(stainless)
    cosmetics and weight are non-factors in my search. I want something that will LAST and is "overbuilt" as I have been told that the Spectre IS.
    I am saving all of my money for this as we speak.If all goes according to plan, I should have the money for this around March or April.
    Then, I'll need to save a bit more to have a gunsmith buddy of mine recrown and thread the barrels of my .22 and .17 to accept this suppressor.

I just bought a few boxes of .22lr sub-sonic ammo in preparation for this new addition.
    I CAN'T WAIT!!!
    Beware of remington subsonic ammo- dirty,dirty,dirty. Got some cci and it is really clean, but found that cci standard velocity works better and has rnd nose v/s h/p. Am using winchester .22 tube feed and other than having to remove compensator for loading it is nice and quiet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.