Gunco Forums banner

Rifle Suppressor

8K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  kernelkrink 
#1 ·
As a follow up to my post from last week entitled Pistol Suppressors I have decided to purchase a suppressor for my .22lr rifle as I could actually justify the expense and noise reduction while varmint hunting. This will also be less expensive than the .45 acp suppressor by a longshot.
I read that the .22 suppressor will also handle my .17 hm2 ammo with no problem?
Any suggestions? I see that there are a few different manufacturers and know nothing about them.
AAC, Gemtech, AWC, Bowers, Surefire, HTG, etc.

Also, is it difficult/possible for a machinist to thread the bull barrel on my rifle to accomodate this silencer?

#3 · (Edited)
I have to agree with 4Th, a 22 suppressor will serve you better in the long run - You'll get
more use out of it for practical shooting. Back in the day I used to have fun with a High Standard suppressed 22. Xfrog

#5 ·
Thanks for all of the info, fellas. I read that the .22lr suppressor will accomodate a .17 cal, does anyone know if this is correct?
I'll also check with the folks at silencertalk.com forums later

Also, just found this...

Shooters Discount, Inc. - Tactical Solutions - Cascade 22LR Suppressor - OD Green

and

Innovative Tactical Solutions
Looks like they are the same?

ALso tried to register with silencertalk forums, but they DO NOT accept memberships with Yahoo or hotmail accounts, so I emailed the admin and see if I can join with my yahoo account anyways?

#6 ·
In general, a larger caliber suppressor can be used on a smaller caliber, it just might not work as well. The .17 rimfires in the .22 rimfires, for example, will be similar gas volumes and such, but the hole is "too big" for the .17 and allow more gas to escape around the bullet. Design also factors into this, some baffles use very small holes only slightly larger than the bullet, this in effect "plugs the hole" as the bullet passes through it, diverting the pressure into the baffle. Others use the flowing gases themselves to disrupt the straight line flow of gases, and on these the holes tend to be larger so it wouldn't matter as much with the .17.

Of course, this is only true with rounds of similar pressure, or shooting a low pressure round throiugh a high pressure suppressor. While a .30-06 bullet will pass through a 9mm baffle with no problems, the extra pressure behind it may just disassemble the unit. OTOH, popping .22LRs through your .223 suppressor will usually be OK.

#8 ·
Heres a pretty good 223 suppressor made from stainless steel and is fully disassembled. It can also support full auto. Price $450

Heres a aluminum 22lr supp thats just bout the cheapest you will ever find a supp. $250. DO NOT try to use an aluminum supp with 223. TAC65 .22LR SUPPRESSOR Excellent Suppression, Easy To Clean by:

Anyways both those got pretty decent scores on silencer talk for their price. And the ability to be disassembled is a feature to look for in 22lr because a lot of rounds aren't jacketed and theres a lot of lead build up from vapors. Personally I'd grab that 223 supp for future upgrades and it can be used on the 22lr and 17 (but it is about 6" long and will weigh about the same as a walther p22 so the balance will be off) Anyways good luck and have fun.

#9 ·
I would only recommend the SWR Spectre and if they ever release the new core the AAC Prodigy.

For all things considered I think the Spectre is the better buy because its SS and will last forever no matter what. It is a little heavier then the Prodigy though.

I've done quiet a bit of research on .22 cans. I wouldn't recommend anything other then those two.

#11 ·
I would only recommend the SWR Spectre and if they ever release the new core the AAC Prodigy.

For all things considered I think the Spectre is the better buy because its SS and will last forever no matter what. It is a little heavier then the Prodigy though.

I've done quiet a bit of research on .22 cans. I wouldn't recommend anything other then those two.

Thanks, a the fellas at silencertalk.com recommended the very same one to me for my purposes.
The biggest considerations, given my research, for a suppressor are:
-durability and longevity
-ease of use and ability to clean
-solid construction(stainless)
cosmetics and weight are non-factors in my search. I want something that will LAST and is "overbuilt" as I have been told that the Spectre IS.
I am saving all of my money for this as we speak.If all goes according to plan, I should have the money for this around March or April.
Then, I'll need to save a bit more to have a gunsmith buddy of mine recrown and thread the barrels of my .22 and .17 to accept this suppressor.

I just bought a few boxes of .22lr sub-sonic ammo in preparation for this new addition.
I CAN'T WAIT!!!

#12 ·
WOW

My suppressors are AWC and I love them. The company is easy to get hold and they return your calls and have been very reliable. 2/3 run on FA's.

As for shooting subsonic 22's---- check with the manufacturer, I was told by AWC not to use that type of ammo because it is slower burning and dirtier.

Besides, they really aren't any quieter but cost more.

#14 ·
My suppressors are AWC and I love them. The company is easy to get hold and they return your calls and have been very reliable. 2/3 run on FA's.

As for shooting subsonic 22's---- check with the manufacturer, I was told by AWC not to use that type of ammo because it is slower burning and dirtier.

Besides, they really aren't any quieter but cost more.

Iheard the same thing about the subsonic ammo, BUT I ALSO heard that they help in rifles, moreso than in pistols.
Appaerently the shorter barreled pistols offer less noise than the longer barreled rifles. So you would have better results with a sub round in the rifle?

#15 ·
Velocity on most .22 LR rounds maxes out around 14" down the bbl, go over about 18" and it actually slows down due to the friction and dropping pressure behind the bullet. So a pistol with a short bbl is going to keep most rounds subsonic just because the pressure hasn't built to max before it leaves the bbl.

You get a lot more blast from the gunshot though, since the unburned powder and hot gas are exiting the short bbl and continuing to burn in the open air. This is why a rifle is quieter to shoot than a pistol. (sans suppressors, of course!) The rifle bbl has burned all the powder, and if it is a bit longer than 16" min length the pressure is dropping as well. Less noise from the expanding gases, but faster bullet that may go supersonic.

In most pistol and rifle suppressors, subsonic rounds will produce a quieter shot since the supersonic crack is gone and the reduced powder charge means less gas to deal with. The pistol may not require subsonic ammo to eliminate bullet flight noise, but the rifle does.

OTOH, some advanced designs use the high pressure gas to work against itself, redirecting the gas flow to disrupt the tendency of the gas to want to blow right out through the central hole in the baffles. On some of them, if the pressures drop below a certain point they actually get louder as the efficiency of the flow disruption drops with the pressure.

#16 ·
I just got a Walther P22 with the 5"bbl I wanted to get a good suppressor that I could take apart to clean. Anybody know if this is a good thing most of the ones I've found you can't take apart to clean. I don't even know if you have to clean suppressors but i would think for it to last a long time and work good you would

Oh what would be a better bbl length I was going to get the 3.5"bbl so i could swap them out All the pics i see online have the suppressors on the 3.5" bbl. I wanted the shorter one to get two guns out of one

#19 ·
Master Blaster how do you clean a suppresser if cant take it apart? do you need to clean them a lot or do you just spray them off any input will help me greatly i'm planing on getting one soon but i have no clue on how to keep the thing clean so they will last all so i will be putting it on a 10/22 and a walther p22

#23 ·
When any object (airplane or bullet) approaches transonic speed it passes through it's own "Precursor" wave, (think the bow wave from a boat only in air) and experiences buffeting from the shockwave as it passes through. Subsonic rounds never experience this buffeting and are usually more accurate because of it.

#28 ·
Sealed suppressors are commonly cleaned by making a "tank" out of a capped off length of plastic sewer pipe and filling with a solvent. Depending on solvent and paint used, it might strip the paint off. Serial numbers are engraved in the metal, paint coverage would not affect the number.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.