Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Suppressor

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Rifle Suppressor

As a follow up to my post from last week entitled Pistol Suppressors I have decided to purchase a suppressor for my .22lr rifle as I could actually justify the expense and noise reduction while varmint hunting. This will also be less expensive than the .45 acp suppressor by a longshot.
    I read that the .22 suppressor will also handle my .17 hm2 ammo with no problem?
    Any suggestions? I see that there are a few different manufacturers and know nothing about them.
    AAC, Gemtech, AWC, Bowers, Surefire, HTG, etc.

Also, is it difficult/possible for a machinist to thread the bull barrel on my rifle to accomodate this silencer?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

http://www.redstick-firearms.com/sup...suppressor.jpg

Here is one from Red Jacket for $489.00. If I wasn't short on cash I would like to get one myself.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

I have to agree with 4Th, a 22 suppressor will serve you better in the long run - You'll get
    more use out of it for practical shooting. Back in the day I used to have fun with a High Standard suppressed 22. Xfrog
    Last edited by Frogman; 03-26-2009 at 10:53 PM.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Silencer Talk is a great resource for silencer questions.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks for all of the info, fellas. I read that the .22lr suppressor will accomodate a .17 cal, does anyone know if this is correct?
    I'll also check with the folks at silencertalk.com forums later

Also, just found this...

Shooters Discount, Inc. - Tactical Solutions - Cascade 22LR Suppressor - OD Green

and

Innovative Tactical Solutions
    Looks like they are the same?

ALso tried to register with silencertalk forums, but they DO NOT accept memberships with Yahoo or hotmail accounts, so I emailed the admin and see if I can join with my yahoo account anyways?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

In general, a larger caliber suppressor can be used on a smaller caliber, it just might not work as well. The .17 rimfires in the .22 rimfires, for example, will be similar gas volumes and such, but the hole is "too big" for the .17 and allow more gas to escape around the bullet. Design also factors into this, some baffles use very small holes only slightly larger than the bullet, this in effect "plugs the hole" as the bullet passes through it, diverting the pressure into the baffle. Others use the flowing gases themselves to disrupt the straight line flow of gases, and on these the holes tend to be larger so it wouldn't matter as much with the .17.

Of course, this is only true with rounds of similar pressure, or shooting a low pressure round throiugh a high pressure suppressor. While a .30-06 bullet will pass through a 9mm baffle with no problems, the extra pressure behind it may just disassemble the unit. OTOH, popping .22LRs through your .223 suppressor will usually be OK.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I see what you mean, and will now focus my efforts on a reasonably priced suppressor for the .22 lr.

Feedback Score

Heres a pretty good 223 suppressor made from stainless steel and is fully disassembled. It can also support full auto. Price $450

Heres a aluminum 22lr supp thats just bout the cheapest you will ever find a supp. $250. DO NOT try to use an aluminum supp with 223. TAC65 .22LR SUPPRESSOR Excellent Suppression, Easy To Clean by:

Anyways both those got pretty decent scores on silencer talk for their price. And the ability to be disassembled is a feature to look for in 22lr because a lot of rounds aren't jacketed and theres a lot of lead build up from vapors. Personally I'd grab that 223 supp for future upgrades and it can be used on the 22lr and 17 (but it is about 6" long and will weigh about the same as a walther p22 so the balance will be off) Anyways good luck and have fun.

Feedback Score

I would only recommend the SWR Spectre and if they ever release the new core the AAC Prodigy.

For all things considered I think the Spectre is the better buy because its SS and will last forever no matter what. It is a little heavier then the Prodigy though.

I've done quiet a bit of research on .22 cans. I wouldn't recommend anything other then those two.

Feedback Score

Also, don't try and save money on any suppressor. Do your research, buy right or buy twice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.