Gunco Forums banner

Can you suppress a revolver?

5K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  kernelkrink 
#1 ·
#2 ·
And it's heavy enough to throw at your opponent when the 7.62 Nagant bullets fail to do anything but annoy him :rofl:

Seriously, the sealing cylinder of the Nagant revolver makes it one of the few handguns that can be silenced. But the question remains, "why?"

#4 ·
Well, props for doing one! I thought it was a stock photo of one for discussion only.

It certainly ought to be quiet! And, probably a fun plinker. The stock Nagants are fun to shoot.

#6 ·
Yes. The cartridge is loaded with the bullet completely seated below the case mouth. The case mouth is lightly beveled to form a seal against the barrel.

While the round is anemic (think 32 ACP power), the revolver is worth owning simply due to this unique design feature.

As you pull the trigger, the first thing that happens is the cylinder being cammed forward against the barrel. The Nagant seals up almost like a pistol. It's a mechanical joint, but makes the Nagant one of the very few (only?) revolvers that can truly be suppressed.

#7 ·
Reed Knight suppressed a Ruger Redhawk revolver for special ops use, essentially converted it into a short rifle. It started out as a .44, but shoots .30 cal bullets in a Sabot. On firing, the sabot jams against the .30 cal bbl and seals off the gap. I've also heard of a few guys playing around with Dan Wesson revolvers that had the gap adjusted down to almost nothing. Only good for about 6-8 shots before it needed cleaned but supposedly not bad sound reduction.

#10 ·
A supressed Nagant would probably be used at pretty much contact range... so I don't think the sights would matter much.

Neat guns to have in the collection, especially when they can be had for sixty or seventy bucks.

#17 ·
Found this video when looking at another, silenced Nagant Revolver, I didn't think it was real at first but you can see the smoke after a couple of the shots.
[video=youtube;vvF4yurWSc0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0&feature=related]YouTube - Silenced 1895 Nagant revolver (NFA)[/video]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.