Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: full-auto conversion pre '86 ?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Default full-auto conversion pre '86 ?

Hi, just curious, but was an individual allowed to convert his own weapon to select fire/full auto pre May 1986 and register it? Tom

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

i think it had to already be registered at the time of the ban, so i'd say no unless your class 2, but even then it'd have to be out of your possession or destroyed within a year.
    ~ Czolgosz, Leon (1873-1902)
    "I killed the President because he was the enemy of the good people, the good working people. I am not sorry for my crime."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Post Good Question.

Quote Originally Posted by 1phast340 View Post
    Hi, just curious, but was an individual allowed to convert his own weapon to select fire/full auto pre May 1986 and register it? Tom
    So if I had mailed AKs home, like everyone and his brother was doing from Nam in 1968, would I have been able to register them?
    They used to toss the war booty in a pile and ask who wanted them.
    Mostly Russian and Chinese AKs.
    Hell we used to trade AKs for cases of peaches. Not a lot of guys wanted those junk wooden toys. We liked peaches.
    But good question Tom. I still don't know what happened between 1968 and 1986?
    Can an 07 still build legal full auto, register and sell? Or did everything have to be registered before 1986?
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

Before the cutoff, an individual could manufacture an MG, and register it as a transferrable title-2 weapon.

Regarding the question "could I register an AK I mailed home from Vietnam?".....the answer is no....unless it was brought back prior to the amnesty in 68 and registered then, it would always be considered a contraband item.....

Many unregistered guns had their receivers cut, then were rewelded/remanufactured on a form 1 prior to '86........making them legal/transferrable.

Any MG made since 86 will be a dealer sample, and not transferrable to individuals

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Villafuego View Post
    Before the cutoff, an individual could manufacture an MG, and register it as a transferrable title-2 weapon.

Regarding the question "could I register an AK I mailed home from Vietnam?".....the answer is no....unless it was brought back prior to the amnesty in 68 and registered then, it would always be considered a contraband item.....

Many unregistered guns had their receivers cut, then were rewelded/remanufactured on a form 1 prior to '86........making them legal/transferrable.

Any MG made since 86 will be a dealer sample, and not transferrable to individuals
    Thanks bud. What is a dealer sample? Like just for L.O.s or military?
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Like just for LEO's and the military. Specific rules apply, the LE agency or government agency has to request the sample, for instance.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score

There are 2 types of dealer samples........

MG's imported /registered prior to 1968 are transferrable.

MG's manufactured in the US / registered prior to 1986 are transferrable.

MG's imported after 1968, and before 1986 are referred to as "pre-may" or "pre-86" dealer samples.....meaning they may be transferred only between licensed dealers. These guns may be retained by the dealer when his license expires.

MG's imported after 1986, or built domestically after 1986, are referred to as "post-86" or "post-may" dealer samples. They may be sold only to Law Enforcement / Govt, or to dealers that can provide a Law Enforcement / Govt "demo" letter. If the dealer gives up his license, these guns must either be destroyed, or transferred to a qualified dealer/agency/etc.........this is why you see so many HK416, MP-5, G-36 parts kits......easier to destroy the receivers and sell the parts than it is to find qualified buyers.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Post Very Interesting.

Thank You.
    See "L.O. only" full auto on Gunbroker once in awhile.
    Huh. If I start a new town and run for Police Chief can I buy one? Cool.
    Our little town of Astor is patrolled by the Lake County Sheriffs. Were unincorporated.
    Hmmm!! Now yah got me thinking.
    4th for Police Chief.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

That is actually an idea I've thought of before. Besides cheap toys they can buy LE can get all sorts of toys free from the government. Last I heard they can go to any DOD auction beforehand and basically cherry-pick any equipment they want for free. Pay for the shipping, and they can order free M16s from the DOD as well. Prices have really gone up, but back about 89 or so Shotgun News had ads for police only surplus West German MP5s, complete with a half dozen mags and accessories for $500 each. M14s were $350. A Steyr MPi69/81 SMG could be had for $500 as recently as 5 years ago.

BTW, licensed NFA Manufacturers can basically build all the MGs they want, no letter needed as they are licensed to build them not just sell them. Almost any MG they could want for essentially the cost of a parts kit and a receiver. Costs $500-1000 per year in taxes to stay in business, but they get to have a lot of fun.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Class II manufacturers can also import one technical samples for reference. It is unclear what they consider enough variation between like firearms. The class II mfg I talked to said that importing variations for reference is somewhat of a crap shoot as one guy gets approved and another does not. These must be destroyed once the project they are needed for is over, but many retain them for future reference or the project stays on going.

-Yarro

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.