Gunco Forums banner

ALRIGHT WHO HAS SOME CANS ON THEIR GUNS HERE

7K views 42 replies 10 participants last post by  [486] 
#1 ·
HEY ALL JUST SEEING IF ANYBODY ON HERE HAS ANY SUPPRESSORS ON HERE AND HOW GOOD THEY ARE .

WHICH IS BETTER K BAFFLES OR MONOLITHIC CORES ? WHAT OTHER TYPES OF CORES ARE OUT THERE ?? IVE HEARD OF M BAFFLES BUT HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT HOW GOOD THEY ARE .

SO ANYBODY HAVE ANY ????

#2 ·
I don't have any, but I have studied them a bit. Different baffle designs are not the only consideration in effectiveness. Comparing suppressors by saying "X Brand" has K baffles so it must be louder than "Y Brand" that uses the new Z baffles is not always correct.

Size is the major factor, a longer suppressor with one baffle design may be quieter than a shorter one with a different baffle. Is the difference the baffle design or the 3 more baffles in the longer suppressor? Also, pressure and gas volume make a difference. Some modern baffles really work the gases making them divert in all sorts of ways inside the tube. Use the same baffle on a lower pressure round and it may be louder since the gas may not be pressurized enough to flow properly through the baffle.

Overall design factors in as well. Hollywood quiet versus quiet enough may mean the difference between a small compact suppressor that allows you to shoot without hearing protection and a large awkward tube that is dead quiet but not practical. IIRC, there is at least one maker who offers his 10/22 integral in either an 18" or 24" package for this reason. Centerfire locked breech pistols require relatively lightweight cans in order to cycle. "Nielson Devices" can overcome some extra weight up front but in general a pistol suppressor is going to be lighter and smaller than a design for a rifle or subgun, and usually louder because of it.

From what I can gather, the monolithic cores are a manufacturing/assembly cost saving measure. They can be made on a CNC in one process instead of individual baffles that have to be put in and taken out one at a time, stacked in the tube, timed if necessary, etc. Don't think they are any quieter than the same baffle design made as individuals.

There are dozens of baffle designs. Check out Silencer Talk they have a gallery of disassembled suppressors. However, most of the newer ones are welded shut so it's hard to find pics of internals. The US Patent Office online lets you view silencer patents though. Silencertests also have measured sound level tests, although those can be misleading. Everyone hears sound differently, so even though a suppressor may have a higher DB output the tone may be such that most people think it's quieter than a lower DB one. Most people recommend you visit a dealer with several in stock and do a side by side comparison test on the type of firearm you plan to use it on.

#3 ·
yah the round and pressures make alot of difference . i have checked silencer talk out really good forum alot of machinist on there . they have 3D model pics of some of the internals which is really nice . i have made a few models in solidworks from some of the pics and designs ive seen on there mainly mono cores and a few K baffle cores and then put them through a flow analysis and they came out pretty good for the flow disruption . did some fat cans too 3.5 dia about 5 inches long . most of em are 2 inch and about 7 inches long

but are there really a Z baffle design out there ??? ive seen the Y design alot they have been around for awhile almost as long as the flat washer type . and they work pretty good from what i hear . the old M16 style silencer has a big expansion chamber with three to five cone type baffles . then you have the cobra can that has a spiral core used on the mac 10s

#4 ·
Z-Jet baffles:
Suppressor cutaway pic - Page 2 - ArmsLocker Forums

Back when I worked for a gunsmith there were a lot of NFA owners who brought their toys over for show and tell. The quiet ones were always the larger cans, but modern advances seem to have let them shrink them down a bit and keep the same performance. About the tops for quiet was a co-axial design on a MAC11 subgun. About a foot long, 2" diameter outer over an 1 1/4" inner tube with standard M baffles stacked inside according to the owner. Sounded like a Singer Sewing Machine at max speed when fired, you heard the bolt clacking back and forth and that was about it.

#6 ·
I always figured the ultimate would be an "active" electronic suppressor. You know some high end cars have noise cancelling built into the sound system. If you look at a sound as a waveform on an oscilliscope and inject an identical noise into the area with it being 180 degrees out of phase they cancel each other out. Wouldn't even have to be attached to the gun, you could wear a "boom box" and have it cancel out all the sound in the room.

#11 ·
I'm on the cusp of Purchasing an SWR Spectre from guns and ammo whse in Manassas Va (that is, if I dont blow it all on a 9mm pistol this weekend at the gunshow).
Been doing alot of research on this company and they come HIGHLY recommended.
This particular suppressor is all stainless (as opposed to alum) and will fit my .17 and my .22
SWR Spectre Multi Caliber Suppressor
LOOKS GOOD HOW MUCH IS IT ??? HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT ABOUT DOING A FORM 1 CAN ???

#12 ·
My latest...

I still need to install the adjustable sights, have it engraved, and duracoat it. It is a baffle/tube setup of my own design, that eliminates every excess part of the suppressor. The entire suppressor is only two parts, the tube and the monolithic baffle. The baffle itself threads to the barrel and retains the tube with a lip on the muzzle end sandwiching the tube to the receiver. This thing is movie quiet. Please excuse the pictures, all I had was my phone camera.

#21 ·
I'll get some clearer pics up shortly. I got it all parkerized, and it looks pretty slick now. As for engraving, I wasn't going to do anything quite like that, just manufacturer, model, caliber and serial number.

#22 ·
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: ive been waiting for a chance to show that off . i did that on a rotary axis on a cnc machine . if you send me the sleeve i can put anything you want on it ,picture ,numbers letters it only take me about 20 or 30 minutes to write up a cnc program for it . gotta love technology huh :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: if you want to do anything like that let me know but i only do sleeves so i don;t get into anything i don't want to get into .TROUBLE LOL

#25 ·
I came up with that at just because I know something inturrupting the flow would be better than nothing. The grooves are milled at alternating intervals from side to side, They could look better if they were more perfectly spaced, but I don't think they could work much better if at all. The "ribs" referred to earlier are the actual baffles, they have a hole in them of 9/32".

As soon as I get a decent camera (mine broke), I'll get better pics up.

#26 ·
VZ58

HERE IS SOME PICS OF SOME CORES . MIGHT GIVE YOU SOME MORE IDEAS

Attachments

#27 ·
WOW there is nothing to the yankee hill 45. I need to see if there are reviews on it. After the tax stamp that would be SUPER easy to replicate.

some of the monolithic cores are just a couple of hours on the lathe.......

Thanks, if there are more pics or personl reviews I would love to hear them. (maybe a new thread?)

Fritz I hope you get a camera 'cause yours looks sweet.

#28 ·
??? HOW WOULD YOU DO A MONO ON A LATHE OTHER THAN TO TURN IT DOWN . YOU HAVE TO USE A MILL OR AT LEAST A DRILL PRESS TO PUT THE CENTER LINE CHAMBERS BUT YOU WOULD NEED END MILL TO DO THE SIDE CHAMBERS .
THOSE DESIGNS ARE ALOT MORE EASY TO MACHINE THAN THEY LOOK

#33 ·
Filing a form one with your $200 is paying your tax to build one item as an individual. An SOT is a special occupational taxpayer, who just pays a flat rate tax and avoids individual tax stamps for each weapon transferred/manufactured.

#35 ·
You mean ...Like THIS?

AAC in 7.62. Seems to work well when on either a 5.45 or 5.56 krink as well. :)

#38 ·
30 minutes in the ultrasonic cleaning tank cleans the carbon right out. Flows out of there like ink.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.