Gunco Forums banner

Can a Man build his own Can?

6K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  kernelkrink 
#1 ·
I'm on the verge of sending off the 200 hard earned dollars to the BATFEPQRX for to build my own can. I had originally thought about building one that would work on both my 10/22 and my Galil, but the more I think about it, the more I want to make one specifically for my 10/22.

I've got a qestion though. I'd like to not have to spend the money to SBR the little Ruger, but I'd also like to have the barrel w/can about the same lenght as original. If I permenently attatched the can (like 8" long) to a short barrel (like 8" or 9"), would that negate the need to SBR it?

#6 ·
One other thing you might want to do is drop off the rest of your rifle with a family member or friend before you chop and weld the extention/can to the barrel at a differant place. get your barrel length to legal rifle length before you have it all in one location as an unregistered sbr even if it's only for a little while.

#9 ·
I was thinking of making a 2-piece design where the outer can and rearcap are one piece, and the monolythic core and endcap another piece. If I'm making it integral to the barrel, I guess I could go as big I want, to facilitate an expansion chamber.

Getting approval from the spouse will probably be harder than from the ATF! I'll just have to send off the forms without her knowledge, then when it comes back, I'll play dumb.

"I didn't tell you about this? I thought I did 6 months ago."

#14 ·
I own several both store bought and home built. Good fun and worth it as far as I am concerned. For a .22 though on a rifle your'e just about better off buying one and permanently attaching it . Thompson machine in Florida has a line of $99 silencers with annodized K baffles that are practically begging to be pinned and welded onto the end of a short barrel to make it a 16 OAL barrel. Thats what I am doing with my GSG-5 P. I had him make me an 1 1/4" OD 9 inch long silencer for my GSG-5P that will bring the OAL to 16 inches and save me a lot of hassle for not a lot of of money. For the custom can it was $145!!!!

#15 ·
I received my approved BATF form 1 about a month ago after a 5.5 month wait! I haven't started my AR 300 Whisper build yet, but it's on the agenda as a winter project. I have all the parts including a virgin barrel and stainless for the monolythic core!
As for the application, make sure that you fill in the caliber and the length even though it doesn' make sense. They put a hold on my application because I n/a'd those entries. It only held up my approval by a couple of weeks or so thay say!
Good luck and happy shooting! beeeeeeverrryquiet!
Bill

#16 ·
On the subject of silencers/ suppressors, here in the UK its easy to get one to fit any rifle, all part of the Health and safety laws, I looked into one for an AR-15 I would just unscrew the flash suppressor and screw it on, only thing is they are about $800-$1000. Being a very good machinest I decided to make one myself, commercial one's are alloy!! and when I tried it, I did make a good job so no problems with the machineing work done,I found it worked well with .22lr conversion in my rifle, I then tried it with .223 blanks to be safe, after a few shots which were quiet it then started to collapse the baffels. Is normal alloy too soft, does it need to be anodised or should I have used stainless for the baffels? or could it be that I used blanks and not live rounds? this put me off trying with live rounds!!!! Any thoughts?

#20 ·
Hi after having a very good think about my "failed can", I think its because the first chamber I made was an axel shaped tube with porting in the main section and steel wadding wrapped around it to absorb the heat and allow the gasses to expand, then a serise of baffels until it reached the end, all in alloy, which I think was my mistake in a high velocity round, the can was 3" dia x 12" long and was made with shouldered threaded end cap's to ensure alighnment and to be able to clean it. What I found out had happened was judging by the blast marks on the first part of the blast chamber, it looked like the full force of the gases just hit the first plate and subsequent shots eventually weakened in until it " crushed the axel shaped section" I'll remake it with stainless internells and have another try. ps has any one come across a drawing for the " sure fire can's" I used one on an M4 and it was the dogs nuts, I have not been able to come across one over here but the best thing about it was its small size, quick fitting and it certainly was quite, just what you would expect from SF equipment.

#26 ·
The legal definition is found at: Justia :: 27 C.F.R. § 479.11   Meaning of terms.

"Muffler or silencer. Any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for the use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication"

Note there is no standard for actual reduction of sound, only that the device, or any part thereof, is designed or intended to reduce the sound. There was a case where a gang banger was threatening a person and stuck a potato on the end of his bbl. They charged him with possession of a silencer even though the idea was ludicrous. The court ruled that the gangbanger wasn't intent on finding a quick way to make hashbrowns, the defendant obviously intended for the spud to reduce the sound of the shot and was therefore a silencer even though it might have actually loudened the shot by blowing up the gun.

A single baffle, a threaded end cap or tube are all parts that by themselves can get you convicted if they can convince a jury your intention was to make a silencer out of it. There is even a little plastic adapter out there that adapts the threads on a 2 liter bottle to attach to the end of a bbl. Yep, it is a silencer, and every 2 liter bottle in your possession at the time you are caught with it is an add on charge.

OTOH, there are these:

Metrogun

Which are sold without tax to anybody. The stated purpose is to reduce sound, so why isn't it a silencer? Ditto for the .22 ammo like the Colibri that is designed for "quiet pest removal" and such. During Vietnam a 12 guage shell that had a captured piston was developed, when fired the shot was expelled by the piston but the explosion was contained within the shell, no noise. Each shell is a silencer according to ATF. In ATF's entire history, I don't think anybody has ever accused them of being consistent....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.