Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Can a Man build his own Can?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Check out silencertests.com they have a lot of pics of internals, I'm pretty sure they have an X-Ray of the Surefire at least.

Feedback Score

Cheers Kernelkrink that is an excellant website, I think I'll be on it for a while.
    thanks again Dinger.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Full Auto View Post
    Why call them "cans"? isn't that a toilet?? hmmmm
    I call em "cans" because it sounds so innocuous compared to "silencer" nowadays.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

ok so what defines a suppressor/silencer? is there a magic drop in sound pressure level or is it any reduction in noise level?

is it ok to quieten but not silence(using this term loosely)?
    al gore is full of carbon enriched shit

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by smartbomb View Post
    ok so what defines a suppressor/silencer? is there a magic drop in sound pressure level or is it any reduction in noise level?
    is it ok to quieten but not silence(using this term loosely)?
    I think it was 3db, so not much at all...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The legal definition is found at: Justia :: 27 C.F.R. § 479.11   Meaning of terms.

"Muffler or silencer. Any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for the use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication"

Note there is no standard for actual reduction of sound, only that the device, or any part thereof, is designed or intended to reduce the sound. There was a case where a gang banger was threatening a person and stuck a potato on the end of his bbl. They charged him with possession of a silencer even though the idea was ludicrous. The court ruled that the gangbanger wasn't intent on finding a quick way to make hashbrowns, the defendant obviously intended for the spud to reduce the sound of the shot and was therefore a silencer even though it might have actually loudened the shot by blowing up the gun.

A single baffle, a threaded end cap or tube are all parts that by themselves can get you convicted if they can convince a jury your intention was to make a silencer out of it. There is even a little plastic adapter out there that adapts the threads on a 2 liter bottle to attach to the end of a bbl. Yep, it is a silencer, and every 2 liter bottle in your possession at the time you are caught with it is an add on charge.

OTOH, there are these:

Metrogun

Which are sold without tax to anybody. The stated purpose is to reduce sound, so why isn't it a silencer? Ditto for the .22 ammo like the Colibri that is designed for "quiet pest removal" and such. During Vietnam a 12 guage shell that had a captured piston was developed, when fired the shot was expelled by the piston but the explosion was contained within the shell, no noise. Each shell is a silencer according to ATF. In ATF's entire history, I don't think anybody has ever accused them of being consistent....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.