Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can .223 cans fit .22 LR?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Vinegar and peroxide are useful for lead-fouled barrels. I first found out about it at Homemade Firearm Related Products

I've tried it in a Cugir trainer .22 and it works. Messy, but gets the lead out.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    Vinegar and peroxide are useful for lead-fouled barrels. I first found out about it at Homemade Firearm Related Products

I've tried it in a Cugir trainer .22 and it works. Messy, but gets the lead out.
    Huh,I'll have to try that, it'd sure help with the .45, all it gets is 200gr SWC that I cast with a mold that is undersize, someone showed me a method to get it to cast bigger bullets, but I still have a ton of undersize ones, I've just been using a rifle length .45 brush, it seems to work pretty well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    Thanks for the responses! I just fixed the wife's Walther P22 and it kind of got me walking down that road of "why not" build/buy a suppressor. Still on the fence, though!
    I bought a gemtec outback2 in april-may waitting for my paperwork from the ATF got to shoot my buddy's before i bought my it was so quite had to buy mine. It will be well worth the money and wait once i get it. i think i payed $355 +200stamp I will be putting it on my P22 and a 10/22

Feedback Score

You can put any can that is made for a larger bullet on a smaller one...like a .308 can on a .223 but not the other way around. I just don't know how the sound would work...I'm from NY ;-)

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by kevinwkahle View Post
    You can put any can that is made for a larger bullet on a smaller one...like a .308 can on a .223 but not the other way around. I just don't know how the sound would work...I'm from NY ;-)
    The .22 and the .223 have the same .224 diameter bullets, so it'll even be good enough that tons of gas won't get by like .223 outta a .30 can.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Good luck on the from 1 tax stamp. I've been waiting over 4 months for mine for my .300 whisper project. Once I get this one, I'm thinking I'll submit 2 more form 1's. One for another can and one for a SBR. That'll give me something to wait on for the rest of the year!!!!
    Good luck with the can.
    Good information on the cleaning aspects.
    Bill
    Bill from Spartanburg

Be like an old dog!!!! If you can't eat it or screw it, just piss on it and walk away!!!!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by [486] View Post
    The .22 and the .223 have the same .224 diameter bullets, so it'll even be good enough that tons of gas won't get by like .223 outta a .30 can.
    I think the 22 LR is slightly smaller in diameter but not by much. A 22 LR barrel bore is .221" not the .224" the 223 uses. I have seen .311" and .308" cans interchanged so I suspect it will still quiet the 22 LR but the gas seal may not be as tight.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by allesennogwat View Post
    I think the 22 LR is slightly smaller in diameter but not by much. A 22 LR barrel bore is .221" not the .224" the 223 uses. I have seen .311" and .308" cans interchanged so I suspect it will still quiet the 22 LR but the gas seal may not be as tight.
    The bullets are the same diameter, measure them. The .221 might be the land to land measurement, I'll have to look it up. Huh, turns out the bore is .221-.222. Well, it isn't enough of a difference, besides, the tolerances on suppressors have to be sorta loose, if a bullet hits a baffle it does bad stuff, so it'll have a at least a couple hundredths clearance anyways.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Older designs relied on the bullet to "plug" the baffle by keeping the hole pretty close to bullet diameter. This forced the gas to expand into the hollow space between them during the time the bullet was passing through the baffle. More modern designs use specially designed baffles with passages in them that use the high pressure gas against itself, essentially sideways jets hitting the stream of exiting gases to break them up. These typically have much larger holes in them over bullet diameter. One advantage is any minor misalignment from a loose suppressor or improper threading will not cause baffle strikes. Some .223 baffles have 3/8 to 1/2 inch holes in them.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    More modern designs use specially designed baffles with passages in them that use the high pressure gas against itself,
    Some .223 baffles have 3/8 to 1/2 inch holes in them.
    Huh, never knew that, so so long as there is enough gas a .223 will be somewhat quiet in a .308 suppressor?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.