Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Can .223 cans fit .22 LR?

  1. #11
    Gunco Maniac sjohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    7,454
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

    Default

    Vinegar and peroxide are useful for lead-fouled barrels. I first found out about it at Homemade Firearm Related Products

    I've tried it in a Cugir trainer .22 and it works. Messy, but gets the lead out.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

  2. #12
    Gunco Veteran [486]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    MSP area, MN
    Posts
    1,631
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    Vinegar and peroxide are useful for lead-fouled barrels. I first found out about it at Homemade Firearm Related Products

    I've tried it in a Cugir trainer .22 and it works. Messy, but gets the lead out.
    Huh,I'll have to try that, it'd sure help with the .45, all it gets is 200gr SWC that I cast with a mold that is undersize, someone showed me a method to get it to cast bigger bullets, but I still have a ton of undersize ones, I've just been using a rifle length .45 brush, it seems to work pretty well.

  3. #13
    SniperPig TheCol.U.S.M.C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    738
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    Thanks for the responses! I just fixed the wife's Walther P22 and it kind of got me walking down that road of "why not" build/buy a suppressor. Still on the fence, though!
    I bought a gemtec outback2 in april-may waitting for my paperwork from the ATF got to shoot my buddy's before i bought my it was so quite had to buy mine. It will be well worth the money and wait once i get it. i think i payed $355 +200stamp I will be putting it on my P22 and a 10/22

  4. #14
    Gunco Member kevinwkahle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    40
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    You can put any can that is made for a larger bullet on a smaller one...like a .308 can on a .223 but not the other way around. I just don't know how the sound would work...I'm from NY ;-)

  5. #15
    Gunco Veteran [486]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    MSP area, MN
    Posts
    1,631
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevinwkahle View Post
    You can put any can that is made for a larger bullet on a smaller one...like a .308 can on a .223 but not the other way around. I just don't know how the sound would work...I'm from NY ;-)
    The .22 and the .223 have the same .224 diameter bullets, so it'll even be good enough that tons of gas won't get by like .223 outta a .30 can.

  6. #16
    Gunco Regular bsouthnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Spartanburg SC
    Posts
    445
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

    Default

    Good luck on the from 1 tax stamp. I've been waiting over 4 months for mine for my .300 whisper project. Once I get this one, I'm thinking I'll submit 2 more form 1's. One for another can and one for a SBR. That'll give me something to wait on for the rest of the year!!!!
    Good luck with the can.
    Good information on the cleaning aspects.
    Bill
    Bill from Spartanburg

    Be like an old dog!!!! If you can't eat it or screw it, just piss on it and walk away!!!!

  7. #17
    Gunco Regular allesennogwat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    921
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [486] View Post
    The .22 and the .223 have the same .224 diameter bullets, so it'll even be good enough that tons of gas won't get by like .223 outta a .30 can.
    I think the 22 LR is slightly smaller in diameter but not by much. A 22 LR barrel bore is .221" not the .224" the 223 uses. I have seen .311" and .308" cans interchanged so I suspect it will still quiet the 22 LR but the gas seal may not be as tight.

  8. #18
    Gunco Veteran [486]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    MSP area, MN
    Posts
    1,631
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allesennogwat View Post
    I think the 22 LR is slightly smaller in diameter but not by much. A 22 LR barrel bore is .221" not the .224" the 223 uses. I have seen .311" and .308" cans interchanged so I suspect it will still quiet the 22 LR but the gas seal may not be as tight.
    The bullets are the same diameter, measure them. The .221 might be the land to land measurement, I'll have to look it up. Huh, turns out the bore is .221-.222. Well, it isn't enough of a difference, besides, the tolerances on suppressors have to be sorta loose, if a bullet hits a baffle it does bad stuff, so it'll have a at least a couple hundredths clearance anyways.

  9. #19
    Gunco Good ole boy kernelkrink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,051
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default

    Older designs relied on the bullet to "plug" the baffle by keeping the hole pretty close to bullet diameter. This forced the gas to expand into the hollow space between them during the time the bullet was passing through the baffle. More modern designs use specially designed baffles with passages in them that use the high pressure gas against itself, essentially sideways jets hitting the stream of exiting gases to break them up. These typically have much larger holes in them over bullet diameter. One advantage is any minor misalignment from a loose suppressor or improper threading will not cause baffle strikes. Some .223 baffles have 3/8 to 1/2 inch holes in them.

  10. #20
    Gunco Veteran [486]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    MSP area, MN
    Posts
    1,631
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    More modern designs use specially designed baffles with passages in them that use the high pressure gas against itself,
    ...
    Some .223 baffles have 3/8 to 1/2 inch holes in them.
    Huh, never knew that, so so long as there is enough gas a .223 will be somewhat quiet in a .308 suppressor?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •