Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can .223 cans fit .22 LR?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Can .223 cans fit .22 LR?

I'm entertaining the idea of getting a suppressor in the not-too-distant future. Too many cats around here A few questions...

I know that a .223 can would have a larger hole than a .22 LR can, and I'm trying to figure if I get a .223 sized can, would it still work well enough on a .22 LR?

Or is this just wishful thinking?

If it DOES work well enough, can one swap calibers this way, or is the supppressor "hard-coded" on the form to a specific caliber? In other words, would I be allowed to put a .223 can on a .22 LR?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

It will work fine. I know people that mount their 9mm can on 22 long rifles and it works fine.Just dont try to put a 22 lr. can on a .223. Its pressure will more likely than not blow up.Yes you can put it on your butt if you really want to.

Feedback Score

I see no problem with putting a 22cal trough a 223can. I've used a 30cal can on a 32cal weapon and a 223cal weapon. And a friend of mine have used 45cal can on a 9mm without a problem. As long as the bullet passes trough without hitting anything or you overpressure the can it's good to go.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

"Will it work" as in will it fit and fire without any problems? Yes. "Will it work" as in will it be really, really quiet? Maybe.

An efficient modern suppressor design is made to work with a specific volume and pressure of gas, often the high pressure gas is diverted against the stream of gas behind the bullet to break up the flow pattern and direct it into the baffles inside the suppressor. The bullet passage holes in the baffles may be much larger than the projectile itself, without the diverted gas breaking up the stream of outflowing gases the sound may be louder than from a similar sized suppressor specifically designed for a lower pressure round. Worst case scenario you will still get significant sound reduction, but the sound may not be the "Hollywood Quiet" possible with an excellent .22RF specific suppressor. OTOH, the extra volume in a .223 suppressor may make up for the lack of baffle efficiency and you may get great sound reduction. You'll just have to try it.

BTW, a simple .22LR suppressor is very easy to make with a little lathe work, a form 1 and $200 tax money and you can make your own for just a few bucks in materials. I've seen your projects, you have the skills needed to do the job.

Feedback Score

If you don't have a cleanable .223 supressor you'll have trouble getting all of the .22 lr carbon and lead out, .22 is really dirty, and so cheap that you'll put about 20 times more through it. Be sure to get a cleanable one.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Or, buy a good ultrasonic cleaner and don't worry about being to disassemble the can to clean.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    Or, buy a good ultrasonic cleaner and don't worry about being to disassemble the can to clean.
    What about lead, with .22 there is substantial lead buildup.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Ultrasound will knock it out. If it doesn't, a mix of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide in the ultrasound bath will solve it out.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks for the responses! I just fixed the wife's Walther P22 and it kind of got me walking down that road of "why not" build/buy a suppressor. Still on the fence, though!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    Ultrasound will knock it out. If it doesn't, a mix of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide in the ultrasound bath will solve it out.
    Huh, the ones I've seen the lead had already formed into a film of sorts [with carbon all mixed in], it wasn't coming out, the person cleaning it used a sandblaster [bead blaster actually] to get it off, though this was after 1,500 rounds. I guess it might work before the lead sticks together, besides, you could always just heat it up and melt the lead out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.