Gunco Forums banner

Can .223 cans fit .22 LR?

6K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  scottinthegrove 
#1 ·
I'm entertaining the idea of getting a suppressor in the not-too-distant future. Too many cats around here :) A few questions...

I know that a .223 can would have a larger hole than a .22 LR can, and I'm trying to figure if I get a .223 sized can, would it still work well enough on a .22 LR?

Or is this just wishful thinking?

If it DOES work well enough, can one swap calibers this way, or is the supppressor "hard-coded" on the form to a specific caliber? In other words, would I be allowed to put a .223 can on a .22 LR?

#2 ·
It will work fine. I know people that mount their 9mm can on 22 long rifles and it works fine.Just dont try to put a 22 lr. can on a .223. Its pressure will more likely than not blow up.Yes you can put it on your butt if you really want to.

#3 ·
I see no problem with putting a 22cal trough a 223can. I've used a 30cal can on a 32cal weapon and a 223cal weapon. And a friend of mine have used 45cal can on a 9mm without a problem. As long as the bullet passes trough without hitting anything or you overpressure the can it's good to go.

#4 ·
"Will it work" as in will it fit and fire without any problems? Yes. "Will it work" as in will it be really, really quiet? Maybe.

An efficient modern suppressor design is made to work with a specific volume and pressure of gas, often the high pressure gas is diverted against the stream of gas behind the bullet to break up the flow pattern and direct it into the baffles inside the suppressor. The bullet passage holes in the baffles may be much larger than the projectile itself, without the diverted gas breaking up the stream of outflowing gases the sound may be louder than from a similar sized suppressor specifically designed for a lower pressure round. Worst case scenario you will still get significant sound reduction, but the sound may not be the "Hollywood Quiet" possible with an excellent .22RF specific suppressor. OTOH, the extra volume in a .223 suppressor may make up for the lack of baffle efficiency and you may get great sound reduction. You'll just have to try it.

BTW, a simple .22LR suppressor is very easy to make with a little lathe work, a form 1 and $200 tax money and you can make your own for just a few bucks in materials. I've seen your projects, you have the skills needed to do the job.

#10 ·
Huh, the ones I've seen the lead had already formed into a film of sorts [with carbon all mixed in], it wasn't coming out, the person cleaning it used a sandblaster [bead blaster actually] to get it off, though this was after 1,500 rounds. I guess it might work before the lead sticks together, besides, you could always just heat it up and melt the lead out.

#9 ·
Thanks for the responses! I just fixed the wife's Walther P22 and it kind of got me walking down that road of "why not" build/buy a suppressor. Still on the fence, though! :)

#12 ·
Vinegar and peroxide are useful for lead-fouled barrels. I first found out about it at Homemade Firearm Related Products

I've tried it in a Cugir trainer .22 and it works. Messy, but gets the lead out.
Huh,I'll have to try that, it'd sure help with the .45, all it gets is 200gr SWC that I cast with a mold that is undersize, someone showed me a method to get it to cast bigger bullets, but I still have a ton of undersize ones, I've just been using a rifle length .45 brush, it seems to work pretty well.

#16 ·
Good luck on the from 1 tax stamp. I've been waiting over 4 months for mine for my .300 whisper project. Once I get this one, I'm thinking I'll submit 2 more form 1's. One for another can and one for a SBR. That'll give me something to wait on for the rest of the year!!!!
Good luck with the can.
Good information on the cleaning aspects.
Bill

#19 ·
Older designs relied on the bullet to "plug" the baffle by keeping the hole pretty close to bullet diameter. This forced the gas to expand into the hollow space between them during the time the bullet was passing through the baffle. More modern designs use specially designed baffles with passages in them that use the high pressure gas against itself, essentially sideways jets hitting the stream of exiting gases to break them up. These typically have much larger holes in them over bullet diameter. One advantage is any minor misalignment from a loose suppressor or improper threading will not cause baffle strikes. Some .223 baffles have 3/8 to 1/2 inch holes in them.

#22 ·
Some years ago a couple of guys in the neighbor town was caught for illegal hunting. They used a 223 with a 30cal can, later when their equipment was for sale at a lokal gunshop I bought the can. (In Norway we don't need to apply for a NFAform or like it, it's a free item to purchase) Our weapons have to be registred, but cans are free.
Anyway I know these guys loaded their own ammo to get it subsonic and they was doing it for years before they got caught.
So to silence a gun it is important to have the right ammo.

#23 ·
I have a YHM Stainless 5.56/.223 QD (Quick Detach) suppressor. It works great on my .22's including the walther p22 on that it is so quiet even with super sonic rounds (i guess because the barrel is so short). Anyway, YHM says if it gets lead build up from .22s, just fire some .223's through it and it will clean it right out. P.S. some suppressor manufacturers have had posted not to use their .223 suppressor on a .22. You might want to check with the manufacturer of the suppressor you have or are thinking of getting.

#24 · (Edited)
.223/ 5.56 suppressor on a .22 works great. I have a stainless steel YHM Phantom QD (quick detatch mount) rated for full auto fire. I use it on a walther p22, and also on a Sig Mosquito, also a Ruger 10/22. It is super quiet with subsonics, and even standard rounds at 1200 fps out of the pistols, I can't tell the difference in sound with the suppressor on them;
Info from YHM - Yankee Hill Machine, to clean it out after shooting .22's just fire a 5.56/.223 through it. Mine has stayed clean with no build up. I also give it a squirt of remington spray oil with teflon in it which may help keep anything from sticking.

#25 ·
To the original poster, I notice you mentioned the Walther .22. I would highly suggest you buy a quality name aluminum .22 lr can that can be pulled apart for cleaning. The 5.56X45 can will be too heavy to cycle on a pistol. My cousin has a Gemtech .22 can that he uses on his Walther and he had his kid's .22 lr Cricket bolt gun threaded for use with the can. So you can get double duty with the Walther and a .22 rifle.

As I would suggest to anyone considering the purchase of a can, especially a 5.56X45 can, actually demo one yourself. Internet opinion and "you tube" video are not going to be your actual experience. Unless you have a modern .22 can that you can use to copy, which has it's own issues, it will be hard for you, the first time out, to get a light efficient .22 lr can. The big names have spent quite a bit on R&D to have the designs that they currently have. You can file a Form 1 and make a can. The big question to me would be, would you really be happy with it?

There is also a legal issue to consider. The BATF&E considers internal suppressor parts to be a suppressor, in and of themselves. You can NOT have any spare parts. If a baffle doesn't turn out right, it will need to be destroyed. Is the "Black helicopter" guys going to be watching you? No. But a spare baffle "could" in the right set of circumstances, make you spend what you would pay for a transferable Colt M16 A2 on a lawyer in Federal Court to keep you out of prison. To me, even if I could do the work, the can probably won't be as quiet or as easy to use as a quality maker can.

If you are interested in a 5.56 can, I would highly suggest you demo it. To my knowledge, no manufacturer that I know of makes 5.56X45 subsonic ammo that will cycle a semi/full automatic firearm. To make the semi/full auto work supersonic ammo must be used. While muzzle sound signature masking has a tactical advantage, as a collector, that has not been an issue for me. I have been in the presence of and demoed 5.56 cans. To me, with supersonic ammo, they are too loud. Some might disagree. That is why I highly suggest that you actually demo a 5.56 can before buying or at least transferring to you. Good luck with your .22 lr/5.56 can project.

scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.