Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Find A Barrel

Feedback Score

Default Help Me Find A Barrel

Hey guys, I'm new here as you can tell from the post count. I have an Flemming registered HK sear. I'm involved in developing some hosts (guns I can install my sear into converting the guns into macheguns or submachineguns.

I'm looking to make a HK53 (a MP5 sized gun that shoots medium powered rifle rounds) and a HK 33 (a 16" barreled rifle that shoots medium powered rifle rounds) clone guns. I would like to make them in 5.45X39. The profile of the barrels can be converted to a HK profile from a AK-74 blank.

The builder said that "you would have to fit a ak74 barrel that doe's not have the extractor cut in the face." I would also think that with a roller locked delayed action, there is no need for a gas port.

Does anyone have any suggestions on who to talk to for these barrels or even a barrel blank? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind my post count is low to I have limited functions through the site. Thank you for your time.

Scott

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

you could call green mountain and see what they have. They may have blanks if nothing else. You you would then need to get the flutes cut into the chamber... not sure where you would get that done.
    Pat

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

You definitely want a US made bbl, all the foreign made ones are chrome lined so that would be a major problem adapting them to the HK pattern. Headspace is another factor, on an AK headspace is set by how deep the bbl sits in the trunnion, on an HK the bolt butts against the rear of the bbl and headspace is set by chamber depth. Since you would most likely have to recut the chamber anyway, re-facing the rear to eliminate an extractor cut should not be a problem. Fluting is also gonna be a problem. Murray Urbach used to EDM cut them into his custom made bbls, but last I heard he retired and no longer does it.

The HK53 is one cool little gun. Always liked it, Gary Johnston had a write up on them back in the day when his department SWAT team adopted them.

Feedback Score

Thanks for the assistance guys. Cohaire is making a CA53AR pistol. It is a 53 clone that uses AR-15/M16 mags instead of HK mags. It is great for me. I'm originally a AR guy and have piles of AR mags including five Beta C mags.

I have a modified HK 33 kit with a HK 53 bolt/carrier assembly. I held off building the kit when I heard about the CA53AR. I'm gathering the parts for a 33 and a 53k. I was thinking that a 53 and 33 in 5.45X39 would be a lot of fun and cheap to shoot. C Products 5.45X39 AR mags sound like just the ticket. Now I just need the barrel. The builder is "ghilliebear2000" at HK Pro. I believe Jeff has a way to get the chamber "fluted". I just need to get the barrels. I don't believe he has a 5.45X39 chamber reamer. I certainly don't want to buy one for a couple of barrels. I need to find someone who can do the barrels. I have a Rim Country Machine HK 53 barrel in 5.56X45 to go by. Jeff said he could modify a 5.56X45 bolt and extractor to be used with a 5.45X39 barrel. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Scott

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by scottinthegrove View Post
    Jeff said he could modify a 5.56X45 bolt and extractor to be used with a 5.45X39 barrel. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    If the only different dimension on the bolts is the bolt face diameter you could use a 9mm bolt head, as 9x19 has the same rim diameter as 5.45.

Feedback Score

Default Rifle and Subgun Bolts and Trunnions Are Different

Yes, that would be a "piece of cake" if I could use a 9mm bolt. But the pistol caliber trunnion and the mid power rifle caliber trunnions are different. I'll need to have a 5.56X45 bolt and extractor opened up to the 5.45X39 base. I would love to use a 9mm parts, I don't know if the pistol caliber bolt and trunnion would take the extra force of a mid power rifle round very long. I do appreciate you pointing that out though.

Scott

Feedback Score

Login
    Found one of the threads.

ETA: sorry if it makes you log in...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Here's brand new US made 53 brls. HK 93 Barrel

Feedback Score

Question-is your sear multi-caliber? I thought that you had to stick with the caliber the sear was registered in?

Feedback Score

funny i had this same idea for a hk33 in 5.45x39. Im not too sure a fluted chamber would be necesarry bc the flutes are just to help extract brass cases when they expand right? steel case 5.45 rounds wouldnt expand as much. i heard from another source that the chamber flutes are just to allow gases to flow by from the blowback operation so the chamber doesnt get gummed up as quick but these are just things ive heard so a fluted chamber may not be needed. feel free to correct me as i dont know too much about hk's

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.