Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 shorty question.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    Great idea. Thank you. I will give you a call later and talk about this.
    I am actually starting to like these little B.B. guns.
    Coils says they can stop a tank.
    Coils and Sniper are always teasing me, so I aint sure if there kidding or not.
    So if a Russian T-35 tank is coming at me at say like 60 m.p.h.
    Can I get out of my foxhole and stop it with one round of armor piercing with this shorty?
    Plus I need to know if that is legal or not? I will keep my tax stamp with me in case the commies catch me.

thats right 4th! and the more shorter the barrel the more "boom" and we all know more "boom" = more firepower!

4th needs a ar-piston with a 7" barrel !
    look cool and do the quick draw!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Talking j4..

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post

thats right 4th! and the more shorter the barrel the more "boom" and we all know more "boom" = more firepower!

4th needs a ar-piston with a 7" barrel !
    look cool and do the quick draw!
    I know your into these Black rifles. Wish yah lived closer to me. Soooo.
    My Marine bud, 25 year retired D.I. Nam Vet, and me are checking the new toy out, out back here.
    We open the back pin and turn it upside down and the bolt and charging handle come out.
    Took us old Vets an hour too put it back together. Well we were sipping a bit of the devils brew.
    Oh yeah. I tormented that Marine. But we had fun. I will learn again.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I find it hard to believe you guys forgot how to field strip and assemble your rifles after being trained by Uncle Sugar. A DI with bad breath and a worse attitude screamin' in your ear to hurry up and get that thing back together should stick with a fella for a while!

My Buddy the Gunsmith was a Marine back in the late 60s, did a little vacation in SE Asia too. A few years ago he is working on a Springfield Armory M1A, the civillian legal semi auto version of the military M14. He is down on the floor looking for the part that has gone "sproing" during disassembly. I walk in and ask him which part he is looking for. He replies "the doohickey that kicks the thingamajig loose from the whatsis when the bolt closes". Speaking fluent "gunlingo" I immediately knew he was looking for a non-existant full auto part that was never on the semi auto model, just the military one. Even 30+ years later, he was still flashing back to that DI yelling at him to reinstall the whatsis before the thingamajig.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by pirate56 View Post
    it is the lower that is the nfa item, not the upper.
    OOPS - Sorry for the bad info 4th and thanks to Pirate for correcting me. Guess I was using common sense and should have known better since it's the BATF we are speaking of. I'll refrain from guesses in the future!!
    What next 4th, more noise (I mean firepower)?????
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bill from Spartanburg

Be like an old dog!!!! If you can't eat it or screw it, just piss on it and walk away!!!!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Talking

That is funny Kernel.
    We were rite after Tet 68". The need for warm moving bodies was of up most importance.
    Basic was a march around the field, left face, right face, good.
    Rifle training was, I think, M1 Garands. Couple of shots down range. Got my thumb stuck in the bolt thing and cried like a little girl with stolen candy.
    Advanced was better. More intense shooting, pistols, rifles, 106 recoiless, etc.
    At the time they were concentrating on theory more than practice.
    Oh it was good, dont get me wrong. Good instructors, God bless them. Just time was of the essence.
    But. They never taught us how to break the darn weapons down. Never.
    Shoot turn them in go.
    Then they packed us in these big jets and away we went. Trained Rite.
    Keeping war stories aside. I joined my Company.
    "Here. Hold this." 300 rounds of ammo and this Black Rifle. Thats it. No cleaning kit.
    "But Sarge. How do I clean it?"
    "Idiot. You see this jungle. Your gonna be out here for 12 months. These weapons dont need cleaning. The Government said so. Now put that selector switch on full auto and ride it on an empty chamber."
    "Now what else yah want FNG."
    "Who the hell do I shoot?"
    "Anybody that shoots at you idiot."
    Oh God I want to go home.

Marines. Inchon landing Korea. Sitting with my Uncle a few years back and his Band of Brothers from the landing. Frozen Chosin survivors.
    The Military had been thinned down after WWII.
    A General ordered up, full strength Marine Divisions in preparation for the landing.
    "Where do I get the men?"
    "Pull them out of basic training, the bars, I dont care. I want 3 full Divisions."
    A lot of the poor kids heading over did not even know how to load the darn weapons. There Brother Marines gave them a crash course and they learned quickly.
    Now I am old. I will learn how this thing works.
    Last edited by 4thIDvet; 03-24-2010 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Spelling
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bsouthnow View Post
    OOPS - Sorry for the bad info 4th and thanks to Pirate for correcting me. Guess I was using common sense and should have known better since it's the BATF we are speaking of. I'll refrain from guesses in the future!!
    What next 4th, more noise (I mean firepower)?????
    Yes. I ran a mag through in the swamp yesterday. Lot of noise, bullets coming out fast as hell.
    Now I am hooked on these Black Rifles. I want more. Oh God I am going too be filing bankruptcy soon with this hobby.
    Nice looking weapon there bsouthnow.
    Last edited by 4thIDvet; 03-24-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: ADD

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

nice looking shorty 4th. Maybe a 22lr upper will help to keep things affordable.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yeah, my Buddy had a similar experience with the M16 training, he did the full boot and advanced training course with the M14, he loved that rifle. Made a decent club and was good old heavy steel and walnut, a "real man's rifle" that he could qualify expert with at long range. Then they take away his beloved rifle, put him on a flight to Saigon and hand him a Mattel toy rifle that weighs less than the loaded magazine for his M14. Congratulations, here's your new rifle, good luck. He was not impressed at the time, immediately traded "unofficially" for an Ithaca model 37 sawed of special. He was also partial to the M79 with the buckshot and flechette loads for some reason.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thanks Sniper. Think I am going with the 5.45 upper.
    Kernel. My neighbor a early Nam Vet F.O. 65" got one of the first M-16s too be issued. Well not him because he only carried a .45 and a heavy ass radio.
    We went over this in the AR section. But those poor Marines got stuck with the early Black Rifles that jammed. Army also but a lot of Marines got the weapon.
    They tossed them in a junk pile and refused to use them.
    The M79 was a good "squad" weapon, but not enough firepower. Adapted too a rifle now is a lot better.
    Interesting we were 19 years young and the Government gave us just about any destructive device we wanted.
    Now I am 62 and have to give them $200 bucks for a stamp. Something is wrong with this picture.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Glad you got a laugh out of that Sniper, I heard that somewhere and laughed so hard my sides hurt.

4th, a 22 conversion is nice to have, cheap plinking.
    There's a few on the market now (I'm only using this vendor because I felt like it ), here's a drop in conversion
    Cope's Distributing
    and here's a complete upper with a barrel made just for 22, haven't heard any revues on it yet
    Cope's Distributing
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.