Gunco Forums banner

AR-15 shorty question.

5K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  Coils 
#1 ·
O.K. finally got my shorty. ProjectGuns held my hand through the whole process and I finally got down to South Florida to pick the weapon up.
They went over the rules and regulations of owning a NFA weapon.
I have to keep a copy of the tax stamp with me at all times when leaving the house with the weapon.
If I travel too another state with the weapon, I have too fill out a form to "legally" bring the weapon into another state.
Question? After 3 days I finally figured out how too take the upper off.
O.K. so I am stupid o.k. Shut up Sniper :lol:
Now. I see complete uppers for sale. Can I buy another complete "full size" upper and put it on this one to do some shooting. Without getting strung and quartered. Or thrown in a cell with Bubba. :scared:
Are the complete uppers headspaced?

#3 ·
I'm not saying anything negative 4th :trulies: :lol:

I just think it would be a hoot to shoot. :)

#4 ·
4th, on an SBR, the upper (<16" Barrel) is the part of the gun that is stamped! Put any 16" upper on it and blast away!
Can't believe your getting into black rifles though! I have several myself along with about a dozen AK's in various formats.
Enjoy! .223 is expensive, hell, all of it is expensive these days.
I hope the price of beer doesn't go up any time soon!

#9 ·
it is the lower that is the nfa item, not the upper.

4th, you can put any upper on it but the lower is still an nfa item, keep the copy of the form in the bag with the gun. if you want another upper consider one in 5.45 x 39, ammo is cheap and plentifull. we can also chop a 16" one for you so you will have a set of short bbls for the lower in different calibers.

the shorty ar's draw a lot of attention at the range, I have goe shooting and had $15, K of exotic guns sitting on the bench and the only one that draws comments is my ar sbr.

#5 ·
Thanks Guys...

Yes. Been 40 something years since I touched one of these rifles.
So it is legal. Good to know.
Always wanted one. Just never got around to buying.
I will give a range report in the AR-15 section.
Tiny little bullets they are :) kinda weird holding one after all these years.

#7 ·
I don't care who you are, that's funny. :D :lolup::fnypost:

#8 ·
Yeah rite...

So were deep in the land of oz south east Asia.
The Sarge comes up and says, "Come on Tim were going deer hunting."
"Deer hunting. :smilie_sc:w00t1: Uh Sarge were like in ***** country. What you mean deer hunting?" :chinese:
"Follow me." O Tay. :dunno:
Crawl too the perimeter and there stands this giant Asian deer. All of 60 pounds soaking wet.
Wham. Square in the shoulder he hits the poor thing. :crybaby:
Damn deer hits the ground, gets up, looks at the Sarge like "Thats all you got, off he goes frolicking to the bush.".. :rockin:
Oh yeah. Little tiny bullets they are. :)

#10 · (Edited)
Great idea. Thank you. I will give you a call later and talk about this.
I am actually starting to like these little B.B. guns. :)
Coils says they can stop a tank.
Coils and Sniper are always teasing me, so I aint sure if there kidding or not.
So if a Russian T-35 tank is coming at me at say like 60 m.p.h.
Can I get out of my foxhole and stop it with one round of armor piercing with this shorty?
Plus I need to know if that is legal or not? I will keep my tax stamp with me in case the commies catch me.

Attachments

#13 ·
I find it hard to believe you guys forgot how to field strip and assemble your rifles after being trained by Uncle Sugar. A DI with bad breath and a worse attitude screamin' in your ear to hurry up and get that thing back together should stick with a fella for a while!

My Buddy the Gunsmith was a Marine back in the late 60s, did a little vacation in SE Asia too. A few years ago he is working on a Springfield Armory M1A, the civillian legal semi auto version of the military M14. He is down on the floor looking for the part that has gone "sproing" during disassembly. I walk in and ask him which part he is looking for. He replies "the doohickey that kicks the thingamajig loose from the whatsis when the bolt closes". Speaking fluent "gunlingo" I immediately knew he was looking for a non-existant full auto part that was never on the semi auto model, just the military one. Even 30+ years later, he was still flashing back to that DI yelling at him to reinstall the whatsis before the thingamajig.

#15 · (Edited)
That is funny Kernel. :)
We were rite after Tet 68". The need for warm moving bodies was of up most importance.
Basic was a march around the field, left face, right face, good.
Rifle training was, I think, M1 Garands. Couple of shots down range. Got my thumb stuck in the bolt thing and cried like a little girl with stolen candy.
Advanced was better. More intense shooting, pistols, rifles, 106 recoiless, etc.
At the time they were concentrating on theory more than practice.
Oh it was good, dont get me wrong. Good instructors, God bless them. Just time was of the essence.
But. They never taught us how to break the darn weapons down. Never.
Shoot turn them in go.
Then they packed us in these big jets and away we went. Trained :) Rite.
Keeping war stories aside. I joined my Company.
"Here. Hold this." 300 rounds of ammo and this Black Rifle. Thats it. No cleaning kit.
"But Sarge. How do I clean it?"
"Idiot. You see this jungle. Your gonna be out here for 12 months. These weapons dont need cleaning. The Government said so. Now put that selector switch on full auto and ride it on an empty chamber."
"Now what else yah want FNG."
"Who the hell do I shoot?"
"Anybody that shoots at you idiot."
Oh God I want to go home. :crybaby: :)

Marines. Inchon landing Korea. Sitting with my Uncle a few years back and his Band of Brothers from the landing. Frozen Chosin survivors.
The Military had been thinned down after WWII.
A General ordered up, full strength Marine Divisions in preparation for the landing.
"Where do I get the men?"
"Pull them out of basic training, the bars, I dont care. I want 3 full Divisions."
A lot of the poor kids heading over did not even know how to load the darn weapons. There Brother Marines gave them a crash course and they learned quickly.
Now I am old. I will learn how this thing works. :)

#17 ·
nice looking shorty 4th. Maybe a 22lr upper will help to keep things affordable. :)

#18 ·
Yeah, my Buddy had a similar experience with the M16 training, he did the full boot and advanced training course with the M14, he loved that rifle. Made a decent club and was good old heavy steel and walnut, a "real man's rifle" that he could qualify expert with at long range. Then they take away his beloved rifle, put him on a flight to Saigon and hand him a Mattel toy rifle that weighs less than the loaded magazine for his M14. Congratulations, here's your new rifle, good luck. He was not impressed at the time, immediately traded "unofficially" for an Ithaca model 37 sawed of special. He was also partial to the M79 with the buckshot and flechette loads for some reason. :dunno:

#19 ·
Thanks Sniper. Think I am going with the 5.45 upper.
Kernel. My neighbor a early Nam Vet F.O. 65" got one of the first M-16s too be issued. Well not him because he only carried a .45 and a heavy ass radio.
We went over this in the AR section. But those poor Marines got stuck with the early Black Rifles that jammed. Army also but a lot of Marines got the weapon.
They tossed them in a junk pile and refused to use them.
The M79 was a good "squad" weapon, but not enough firepower. Adapted too a rifle now is a lot better.
Interesting we were 19 years young and the Government gave us just about any destructive device we wanted.
Now I am 62 and have to give them $200 bucks for a stamp. Something is wrong with this picture. :)

#20 ·
Glad you got a laugh out of that Sniper, I heard that somewhere and laughed so hard my sides hurt.

4th, a 22 conversion is nice to have, cheap plinking.
There's a few on the market now (I'm only using this vendor because I felt like it :D ), here's a drop in conversion
Cope's Distributing
and here's a complete upper with a barrel made just for 22, haven't heard any revues on it yet
Cope's Distributing

#24 ·
Coils - it's always good to laugh. :D

The chiappa that cope's sells (the 22 upper) is made by ATI. Does it take the BDM mags? Anyone use one yet?

#22 ·
Thanks for the links guys.
I would love to have my own nuclear missile. How much are the tax stamps on one of those bad boys?

#23 ·
Should be a destructive device, so $200. Wonder if you submitted a Form 1 to make a nuke how long it would take them to send the NEST boys your way? The field stripping and cleaning manual for a Polaris missile has gotta be pretty thick, ya might wanna read up on it a bit before you start reassembling your kit in the back yard. Wonder who sells missile fuselage flats?

#26 ·
It shows 25 to 26 rounds on the BDM site AR15 .22 conversion 25 Round Full Body 2nd Generation depending on ammo. The 1st generation BDM mags (the skinny ones) were somewhere around 28 to 30 rounds. Maybe without the bolt hold open follower it would make it possible to get more rounds in???? :dunno:

#28 ·
"Hello Copes." Yes this is Coils and Sniper. Does your mag hold 25 or 26 rounds?
"Say what???"
"This is Mandy. Now you guys ask me one more stupid, yes I said stupid question like that and you wont be able to buy a free pen from us anymore. You guys understand."
"Mandy who was that on the phone?"
"Oh God I am busy as hell and Coils and Sniper are arguing about 1 round in a mag."
"Just hang up on them." :rockin: WaAAAAHHHH Haaaaa haaa. :nanabang::lildevil::geezer::woot::headspin::lol::lol::lol::lol:

#29 ·
4th that's why we're going to let you call Cope's and ask the question.... :avid: :nanabang: :nanabang: :whisker: :whisker: :rofl: :bleh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.