Gunco Forums banner

SHORT BARREL AR QUESTION.

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Markp 
#1 ·
O.K. so I look up AR uppers. Checking for short barreled ones.
The few companies that were selling them had notices "Sold only too Law Enforcement or Military."
As I now have a "Legal Federal tax stamp" too own one. I want another claiber to put on mine.
Anyone else have trouble buying a shorty upper?

#2 ·
that shouldn't be a problem. you can build a shorty pistol. no laws against buying a pistol barrel that i know of??

in fact i am a waiting for those 11.5" chrome lined nato chambered barrels to come in stock for a pistol build --hopefully they will be in stock by the end of the month!

#4 ·
I thought I was seeing correctly. Just the uppers like I ordered from you guys they were saying LEO, Military only.
Will be putting it on my legally tax stamped lower.
j4. They did such a good job on the one I just got from ProjectGuns, now I want one in every caliber. I wish. :)
Fun to shoot. Future mall ninja.

#6 ·
4th, the vendors that set up at the local gunshows don't have a problem selling you a short bbl, they just ask to see a copy of your registration paperwork. Like Pirate says, just a CYA move on their part. I would call the vendor that has what you want and ask if a copy of your form 4 would suffice to satisfy their legal due diligence. I don't see why it wouldn't.

Wonder how one of those conversion uppers that take P90 mags would look with a shorty bbl? Or the Lakeside Machine belt fed .22LR conversion? That would be really cool with an integral suppressor hidden under the handguards....

#7 ·
I understand yes.

My problem is I am mechanically illiterate. :) It took me a year of following Gunco before I joined and started asking stupid questions on how too build the AKs. I just got done re-building my first ones. :)
Now going on 63 I will be dead before I learn about these ARs.
I get dizzy looking at the options for the AR. What front sight do you want, what barrel twist, what lug for your slug? How the hell do I know.
When my head stops spinning I just call Stan and Jorge and say build the damn thing. Those guys have taken real good care of me.
Guys say the AR is real easy too build. Well hell so is brain surgery after you crack the first head open. :)
Interesting they wanted paperwork to order the shorty upper. I understand now after it was explained.
I visited AR15.coms site. It was like they were speaking a foreign language with all the options for the weapon.
If I dont stop buying this stuff I am going to be living in a tent with my weapons.

#8 ·
Some vendors will ship shorty uppers no questions asked... I have a tax stamp, but none of my vendors (3 different ones) asked for any information beyond my CC to pay for it.

My AR collection consists of the following:

7.5" SBR
11" 5.56 pistol
11" AR-57 pistol

Mark

#9 ·
Mark..

I dont know for sure. But I just wanted too order the complete upper without the gas tube.
The few sights I checked wanted a license. Like I say. I am new too this so I just called my Bros at ProjectGuns and let them take care of it.

#10 ·
one of the gray areas is you can make any 10.5" or 11.5" barrel legal by blind pinning or welding the 5.5" flash hider on it. this was popular a few years ago to make replica xm-177 type ar's.

i built a very lightweight ar with a 11.5 thin barrel and an aluminum 5.5" inch flash hider that was double blind pinned on. that and one of those polymer cav-arms lowers is about as light as you can get and still be reliable. sort of a nich market for the short ar-barrels with the long FH though.

lots of 10.5/11.5" pistols--some even shorter--seems like there are some 7" barrels floating around somewhere?--LOL!

#12 ·
4th check out this YouTube build site for AR's [video=youtube;iA_Vkb2UB1w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_Vkb2UB1w&feature=related]YouTube - Assembling an AR-15 Stripped Lower 1 of 2[/video]

#13 ·
4th check out this YouTube build site for AR's YouTube - Assembling an AR-15 Stripped Lower 1 of 2
Wow. Frogman thank you much. Cool. Damn that looks easy. Excellent video. Oh yeah. Hell I bet a total mechanical idiot like me could even do that. :)
I bookmarked that.
Called Jorge at ProjectGuns yesterday. They are engraving my next SBR for me. Then it is FFL transfer too the new gun shop in town here and off too the ATF with my check for $200 smackers.
I was wrong in one of my prior posts. Jorge explained it is a form 1 needed too send too the ATF.
Salbos posts R.I.P. Bob is correct in the library.
A form 4, which we used last time, was for a transfer of a SBR.
As ProjectGuns was the builder of the SBR. The form 4 was used to legally transfer it too me.
With j4's help. I am going totally Mall Ninja. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.