Gunco Forums banner

7.62 x 25 sterling

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  agriebel 
#1 ·
I got a bolt and trigger group for my semi sterling and made a postie out of it, now it is much more fun!!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

#5 ·
Pirate.

Is that the weapon the Brits carried in WWII...
That is a nice smooth, not too fast rate of fire. Looks very controllable.
Think??? The Brit paratroopers carried them. Awesome.

#7 ·
You're thinking of the STEN gun 4th, the Sterling came after the war and was a sorta more refined improved version of the STEN. The STEN was designed to be made by hundreds of little mom and pop shops who could turn out a small part or two and then ship them to a central assembly point. This was necessasry due to the Blitz, they didn't want a single bomb taking out their whole production ability. They were dirt cheap too, just an exhaust pipe for the main tube and simple to make parts inside. Consequently they weren't what most people would place in a collection next to a Purdy or Holland and Holland!

Towards the end of WWII, the British asked for improved SMG designs and the Patchett designed SMG built by Sterling was selected for very limited field testing in the closing months of the war. Naturally, with all those STENs out there and a newly ended war, it took a few years before a slightly modified version was adopted as the STEN replacement in the early 50s. Besides being more refined inside and out, the magazines were vastly improved over the STEN, with rollers on the follower and a curved shape to better accomodate the tapered 9mm case. Folding stock too.

#9 ·
Good info..

I really like that slower steady rate of rapid fire. Pirate has it running smooth.
That weapon looks very controllable.
Pretty sure our Military has the 3 round burst option, on all the new squad weapons.
That was an excellent innovation on someones part.
Usually after the 3rd round, all you are doing is pissing off tree tops.
Plus that 7.62x25 is something I would not want too get hit with.
Either way. That is one nice collectors piece.
Now if I could only hit the damn lottery. Then sneak it in the house when the old lady is not here.
"No honey calm down. That is not another gun. Why that has been in the gun room for over two years now."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.