Thread: Suppressor concern... maybe

Feedback Score

Question Suppressor concern... maybe

Okay. I may be over thinking this but here it is. I have a 762SD awaiting approval and a 7.62x39mm AR15 with a carbine length gas system, external piston and a foot of barrel and suppressor between the gas port and the suppressor outlet. AAC assured me that the suppressor bore was big enough for the 7.62x39mm bullet but did not give an exact bore diameter.

Now for the paranoia: I think I am at a risk of an end cap or baffle strike because of the short carbine gas system starting to actuate The piston before the bullet exits the barrel, add the 6 inches of barrel after the gas port and the 6 inches of suppressor the bullet passes through all of which is moving as the rifle cycles.

Now why I think it is just paranoia: Aren't integrally suppressed AK's like 5 inch barrels with (I'm guessing) 8 or so inches of suppressor tube before the outlet? Surely the bullet exits the suppressor before the gas system starts the cycling sequence?

Personally I think it will be just fine but with a $1500 investment riding on something just for fun, I'd rather be safe than sorry. (Just for fun because the suppressor is mainly for the Savage 10 and the x39 AR is for S&G)

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I wouldn't worry about it, have you ever seen some of those super slow motion video's ??? the bullet is still moving super fast and is about 3-4 FEET away from the rifle before the shooter starts to feel any recoil

Try slincertalk.com good forum they would know more

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

the Col pretty much hit it on the head.

by the time the bolt carrier has even budged the bullet should be long clear the barrel and the can.

you might hit some of those "can" sites for more info.

there "might" be some issue if your running sub-sonic ammo?

my biggest fear when running the can was one of those not enough charge loads that would jam a round half way up the tube-- on full auto-.

but were letting uncle sugar pick up the tab.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCol.U.S.M.C. View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it, have you ever seen some of those super slow motion video's ??? the bullet is still moving super fast and is about 3-4 FEET away from the rifle before the shooter starts to feel any recoil

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

My biggest fear when shooting with my 762SD is that it unscrews itself because the QD mount sucks balls.

Feedback Score

I shot it some on a SIG556 and it stayed tight. I have the 51T model. I heard the 18T model has problems backing off. I have read some users made thier own retention devices from handmade wire clips to simple zip ties on other forums.

Quote Originally Posted by eyegun View Post
    My biggest fear when shooting with my 762SD is that it unscrews itself because the QD mount sucks balls.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by TheCol.U.S.M.C. View Post

True. I figure if the SVD and Barret can be suppressed with those long barrels, my little project will be just fine.

Feedback Score

Have you thought about the cyclone? For bolt guns I would rather have a thread mount suppressor. You will be fine on the x39 ar.

Feedback Score

Put about 100 rounds through in the last few months. No problems at all. Biggest difference is that it ejects Wolf 10-13 feet instead of the usual 3-5 feet. And I get far less gas out of the ejection port than a D.I. AR and my SIG556. No need for the Gasbuster CH or RTV seal.

Feedback Score

The thing I would be worried about is if the threads are concentric to the bore.
    Did you have someone chop and thread it or was it done at the factory?

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.