Gunco Forums banner

NFA firearm demil question to licensed gunsmith

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  twa2471 
#1 ·
Hello,

I would like to pay to have a properly licensed gunsmith demil a post 86 machinegun so that I may have the remaing parts to use to build a semi-auto.

I was wondering if anyone can suggest a trustworthy and experienced dealer/manufacturer to do this and possibly an estimate of the cost to have it done.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Why not have the owner of the MG do it? As a Post Sample, it's either already in a dealer/manufacturer's inventory or belongs to a PD. The trouble with Posties is transferring them to another dealer, you can't do that without one of their local PDs giving them a letter stating they want a demo of that model MG. There is no other provision for transferring them between dealers, except temporary ones for repair and such. Destruction, since there is no gun to return, would qualify? If the owner can't do it, the only alternative would be to have a local guy do the job while the owner is present, no transfer.

What model MG is it?

#3 ·
I think destruction might qualify as a "service" similar to repair and / or service, so a temporary transfer might be alright. I remember there was somebody that had some (two?) FN Minimi's cut to his specs in Canada and imported the demilled parts to the US to weld back together. His cutting specs of course were to make it easiest to weld back together and to be legal to import.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.