Thread: Suppressor baffle idea

Feedback Score

Default Suppressor baffle idea

I have heard of using freeze plugs but has anyone ever tried using valve spring caps? I found some that looked like they would make great M baffles if you put spacers between them. Heres a link to the caps.

Redirect Notice

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Kinda pricey. Another option is the spring seat washers inside a Bendix air governor for the air compressor on a semi truck air brake system. I used to replace 2-3 a month, ask your local big rig garages to save them for you, most disassemble them and toss the main casting into the Al recycle bin. IIRC they would make great 9mm baffles.

Feedback Score

Freeze plugs work well (9mm), inexpensive and last.
    Last edited by mija; 12-19-2011 at 05:05 PM. Reason: add caliber

Feedback Score

yeah i'll probably go the freeze plug rout if i decide to build a suppressor for my uzi. mija do you have experience building suppressors? i dont wanna waste $200 and 3 months to build something that doesnt work well.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Heck, spring caps are a great idea!

Your local engine shop or scrapyard might sell you some for cheap. Or rebuilder-grade stuff from Pioneer is cheap enough for brand-new.

Feedback Score

Freeze caps are basically the same design used in the Parker-hale MM1. Another design commonly used in the UK is a one piece machined insert, which is simple to make on a lathe but would be equally easy to make from washers and a tube insert (obviously with holes drilled in to the pipe between the washer baffles), held with either braze or solder depending on materials used. Threaded on both ends and inserted in to an outer tube casing.

Not sure if that makes any sense at all to you, it does to me

Sort of like this, where the centre of the moderator is machines from one piece of aluminium bar. I guess it would be hard but possible with simple hand tools.

And this is a Parker Hale MM1 on my CZ .22lr

Many years ago we used to be able to buy plastic silencers or sound moderators as we call them. Again same principle as above but in ABS plastic.
    We also used to use PVC plumbing pipes and connectors to make .410 moderators, but these are commonly available over here now so there isn't much of a need and if I'm to be honest when we get our 5 year inspections a .410 moderated shotgun, is kind of saying "poaching" or at least that was the remark said on my last inspection.

John
    Last edited by Hunter_zero; 12-28-2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Photo

Feedback Score

damn im jealous of yall in the uk. you might not have the best gun laws but when it comes to suppressors yall got it right

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.