Thread: NFA Engraving Question

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default NFA Engraving Question

If you purchase a manufactured stock firearm and convert it to an SBR (with the proper paperwork of course)do you have to have it engraved with SBR and the name of your trust?

I have looked through all of the ATF firearm regulations and can not find anything that refers to this with the exceotion of 478.92 which refers to licensed manufacturers. Threr is nothing that refers to indivuals.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The "maker" of the SBR has to engrave his ID on the gun. If you are doing the work yourself, then that would be the name of the trust and city and state.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I understand that. But no one has been able to show it to me in the ATF statutes. Like I said I have looked and the only refernece is to licensed manufacturers not individuals. I have had a coupel of people tell me that it does not need to be engraved. I am getting conflicting information and can not find anything either confirming or denying this to be true.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bulrich View Post
    I understand that. But no one has been able to show it to me in the ATF statutes. Like I said I have looked and the only refernece is to licensed manufacturers not individuals. I have had a coupel of people tell me that it does not need to be engraved. I am getting conflicting information and can not find anything either confirming or denying this to be true.
    bulrich. What the kernel is saying.
    I have SBRs that were manufactured by ProjectGuns. Their name is on it as the creator.
    Transfer was on a form 4 I believe? Too me.
    If you are the creator, making it, you use a form 1 for the stamp.
    Kernel correct me if I am wrong.
    ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - National Firearms Act (NFA) - Short Barreled Rifles and Shotguns
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I did my form 1's and have already recieved them back. I was just asking the question for informational purposes because I have not been able to find it it writing from the ATF.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Bulrich, 90% of what ATF does is not written in black and white, it's "administrative procedures and regulations". Congress writes a law and someone at ATF writes 200 pages of regs to actually implement the law, or worse just makes it up as they go along and it becomes "the way we've always done it" with nothing written down anywhere. Look at a Form 1, it demands on the back that you fill it out in blue or black ink. Where is the law specifying blue or black ink over red ink or purple crayon? Yet, if you submit it in crayon it gets sent back to you for correction. Same with the name and addy of the maker, if they demand it and if ya want the stamp, ya do it.

Now, that said I did a bit more research and all I can say right now is they may have changed the requirements, which is not unusual for ATF. Back in the day when I was more plugged into the NFA side of things, form 1s came back with line H rubber stamped "registrant must engrave name and city/state on receiver" or similar if it was left blank. I just Googled some form 1s that had no rubber stamp or info there and they were approved. Of course, reason for making was listed as "Zombies" and "Chicks dig short bbls" so who knows what they approve these days! To get the current straight poop, write a letter to ATF or talk to their NFA people on the phone. They should know.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

The interpretation I have always seen is that it didn't leave the factory as an SBR, you "made" it one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks Kernel! My form 1's do not say anything about it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I would still either engrave them or get ATF to tell you you don't have to. One little letter can save a bunch of lawyer costs later.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Mine came back because I did not but the word "The" in front of my trust name.
    Then they sent it back again because I wrote "The" in front of the trust name, but did not initial it.
    Mailed, back again, because I sent the copy instead of the original.
    So I offer too give the female agent a hundred bucks too fill it out for me.
    She had no sense of humor.
    After about 47 attempts, I finally got it correct.
    The name of the creator on the weapon, also has too be "Inscribed" a certain depth, when you machine it on the receiver.
    Like the Kernel is saying. Check the rules, they change twice a day.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.