Gunco Forums banner

best 22 suppressor for the money ?

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Hunter_zero 
#1 ·
have been looking at 22 suppressors, one i can switch from a threaded MKIII ruger to a threaded 10/22. getting LEO approval will not be a problem...

anyone have any hands on ? there is a local III dealer that keeps some in stock but thought i'd ask here if anyone has any info on what works better for the buck

much thanks :)

#2 ·
have been looking at 22 suppressors, one i can switch from a threaded MKIII ruger to a threaded 10/22. getting LEO approval will not be a problem...

anyone have any hands on ? there is a local III dealer that keeps some in stock but thought i'd ask here if anyone has any info on what works better for the buck

much thanks :)
In the UK it's the Parker Hale MM1 (cost around $45) or The SAK (again $45).
Don't forget to get the best out of Suppressors you need to use sub-sonic ammunition, the 10/22 being semi-auto will jam if not cleaned often. If you are going through the hassle of getting a suppressor why not get a bolt action .22, combined with sub-sonic rounds, you will end up with a rifle that produces around 100 ftlb, .5 MOA and a muzzle blast sounding like an airgun (bb gun). Just my tuppence worth.

John

#3 ·
unfortunately suppressors are a helluva lot more money here. i know in europe, well in some countries there it's considered rude Not to use one !

prices i have been seeing are 300-500 plus the 200 stamp

i already have 4 10/22's so threading a barrel on one is a given

#5 ·
unfortunately suppressors are a helluva lot more money here. i know in europe, well in some countries there it's considered rude Not to use one !

prices i have been seeing are 300-500 plus the 200 stamp

i already have 4 10/22's so threading a barrel on one is a given
The threads on the UK sound moderators is 1/2" UNF. If it's cheaper I could buy & send you one (would be legal in the UK, not sure about the USA tho). $700 for a sound moderator seems very steep to me. I would guess shipping costs would be around $20 (?) so that's just $65. Yes it's a standard thing to use a moderator on all rifles in the UK and I guess some would say not using one would be silly.

John

#4 ·
Suppressor effectiveness is highly subjective, put 10 people behind 3 different suppressors and if you can get more than 4 to agree #2 is the quietest, it's a miracle. If your local dealer will let you test fire his, go for it and choose what you like best. Take apart for cleaning is a must though, .22s fill full of crap pretty quick.

Of course, you could always form 1 your own and save the $300-500.

#6 ·
Suppressor effectiveness is highly subjective, put 10 people behind 3 different suppressors and if you can get more than 4 to agree #2 is the quietest, it's a miracle. If your local dealer will let you test fire his, go for it and choose what you like best. Take apart for cleaning is a must though, .22s fill full of crap pretty quick.

Of course, you could always form 1 your own and save the $300-500.
I've been using my MM1 for 20 years, never cleaned it. Last for ever do the MM1's, made of solid sheffield steel. I've owned and tested many moderators, there isn't much in any of them when used on a .22rf with subsonic ammo. Slightly different story with centre fire where reflex is in my opinion the way to go. You do need to give the crown a good clean every few 100 rounds with a .22rf and you MUST be very careful with center fire, if you don't clean the crown & moderator, you will completely knacker your barrel and the moderator will rot away very fast. I've seen moderators welded on to barrels with crud and rust but as I say the .22rf is easy going.

John

#7 ·
Since 1968, foreign made suppressors have been banned from civillian ownership. We can't legally import them, they have to be made in the USA.

Here's a thread from last year showing how much crud and buildup is found in a .22 suppressor:

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f287/have-sealed-silencer-want-opened-61934/

And here's some pics on a suppressor forum detailing the cleanout of an SWR Spectre can after 1600 rds. There is some comments that use on a pistol causes heavier buildup, mainly from the unburned powder being blown into the suppressor from the short bbl. IIRC, a typical .22LR needs at least a 14" bbl to complete the powder combustion inside the bbl.

SilencerTalk • View topic - SWR Spectre Baffles after approx. 1600 rounds

#8 ·
Yup, under the terms of our National Firearms Act (NFA) certain firearm configurations must be registered and taxed in order for a citizen to posses said configuration.

A suppressor is one of those configurations, which drives the price up to the insane levels we experience here in the U.S.A.

#9 ·
Seems like an insane law where you can purchase foreign made firearms but not moderators. If you go back twenty years ago, the UK police forces did not like to grant authority for center fire sound moderators and I doubt that they would have even today if it wasn't for the fact of health and safety.
It's madness to restrict and item that is essentially a safety device and little more than a tube of steel. However it answers the issue over sending one. Madness, I can go and buy 100 over the counter right now (okay when the shops open in three hours).

If I have time over the weekend, I'll strip my MM1 and take some photos. I guess it's full of crud now but still works.

John

#10 ·
I have an SWR Warlock and it works great with my 10/22, Walther P22, and Marlin bolt action. It's a sealed can, so frequent clean out is very difficult.

I highly recommend the Sparrow from Silencerco. Its easy to take appart for cleaning which you will have to to often with a 22 suppressor.

There are alot of cool Youtube videos out there; check en out.

Eric

#11 ·
Hunter, the silencer laws we have here were passed in 1934, during the tail end of the "Gangster Era" when the papers were filled with stories of daily killings during bank robberies, bootleggers getting into firefights with police, etc. In those days, silencers were seen as the tool of the assassin or hitman trying to avoid notice. Public opinion and certainly opinions among lawmakers have changed little since then. Look at popular movies like the James Bond series and similar, movies depicting hitmen, etc. and they all use silencers for the express purpose of killing silently. I can't think of a single mainstream movie where they were used for recreational purposes, other than maybe a bored hitman using one to "target practice" in his hotel room while awaiting further instructions. Same for books, the silencer equipped pistol or "sniper rifle" is standard fare for every writer out there. Sadly, outside of those arenas, few people have actual experience with suppressors. You can go to almost any range here today, screw a can on the end of your gun, and at least 90% of the people there will think you are breaking the law and are a criminal of some sort. I know of at least one guy who got so tired of having to educate patrons, range personnell, and the cops who were called on him that his stuff was legal that he simply sold all his stuff for a huge loss and bought some ear plugs.

#12 · (Edited)
You can go to almost any range here today, screw a can on the end of your gun, and at least 90% of the people there will think you are breaking the law and are a criminal of some sort.
We get the same sort of thing in the UK. Semi-auto shotguns are not welcome on clay grounds or traditional pheasant shoots, because people believe that the guns are unsafe. Pump-action shotguns are almost completely over looked, so this reason prices for new pump actions are as little as $400. Why? Well pump action shotguns are for films and not real shooting!
Back 20 years ago, our police forces didn't like people using sound moderators for all the reasons you listed, center fire sound moderators were almost unheard of.
These days it's expected that you will use a sound moderator for hearing protection and in some cases landowners wouldn't let you shoot on their land if you were not using a sound moderator. The major benefit with center fire sound moderators is the kill in recoil, making a .308 shoot like a .410.
The world is a crazy place, thats for sure. Both you and I know that a sound moderator makes little difference to a 'hit' man, who in all likelihood would use a shotgun any way or some other form of killing and lets be honest, it's not hard at all to produce a sound moderator in any half equipped workshop. I would bet I could produce one in half a day in my garage, using aluminium tube, of two diameters, washers and some plumbing fixings, give the whole lot a spray with black paint and you would have a half good sound moderator. The crazy thing is in the UK that would be legal, and it would be legal to use it on a shotgun or an airgun but not a firearm unless you registered it with the police and had it added to your firearm certificate!

Have a gander at this : hushpower.co.uk

You may notice that boxes of them appear on the gun shop counters: Jackson Rifles - rimfire and air rifle silencers

Or the Parker Hale MM1
[video=youtube;JdaUzpkc2io]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdaUzpkc2io"]AIR GUN SUPPRESSOR RIFLE SILENCER BASIC TEST 24. PARKER HALE. - YouTube[/video]

And talking about the MM1, I took mine apart for a clean:-

What I do is smear the crown with "copper grease" to protect it from corrosion, all the crud simply wipes away.

Here are the internals, not cleaned in many years. I honestly can not remember the last time I took this thing apart but I'm sure I have at some point (baffles are just like the engine block freeze plugs) :

Wiping out the inside of the moderator (I'll also scrub it with a 12 bore bronze brush). Robla Solo Mil is great for cleaning all the crud off, in fact it eats powder residues for breakfast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.