Thread: Need SBR info

Feedback Score

Default Need SBR info

I have an AR-15 SBR that has a 7.5 inch barrel. I would like to put an 11.5 inch barrel upper on the lower. Is it legal to swap out the uppers since the lower is registered as an SBR?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yep, as long as it is "temporary". If, however, you "permanently" change the length, say by selling off your original 7.5" upper, ATF needs to know so they can update your paperwork to the new length.

Feedback Score

Thanks, I was hoping that would be the case. Time to go shopping.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Okay , not to hijack the thread , but my neighbor is getting ready to switch depts , he is an ex LEO , getting ready to get onto my towns force ( thank god another good guy) . He has an AR15 with a 10 inch barrel , that used to belong to his ex dept , that he acquired legally . How much does he need to do to register his SBR , it is a 10" barrel .
    MOLON LABE !!!!!

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjemin Franklin

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. -- Sigmund Freud

TO vote for the lesser of two evils , is to still vote for evil.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Well, if he "acquired legally" he should have already have an approved Form 4 listing it in his name, transferring it from the PD to him. If he does not have a Form 4, he is in possession of an illegal SBR. Only the Feds are exempt from registering their toys with the NFA branch of ATF, state and local LE have to paper all their NFA stuff. They are exempt from the tax, but have to register everything just like us.

If they had it properly registered and then transferred it to him without doing any paperwork ATF thinks it is still in the possession of the PD, not your friend. He needs to get them to do a transfer and they need to keep possession of it until it goes through.

If the PD never registered it in the first place, he needs to remove the shorty upper and have a friend who doesn't own an AR (or has a registered shorty) keep it for him. Then he needs to file a Form 1 asking for permission to make the gun an SBR. Once approved, he can retrieve the upper and reassemble.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

THanks KK
    MOLON LABE !!!!!

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjemin Franklin

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. -- Sigmund Freud

TO vote for the lesser of two evils , is to still vote for evil.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.