Gunco Forums banner

9mm can (fuel filter design)

14K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  dutigaf 
#1 · (Edited)
this is kind of a companion piece to the Flashlight can...

while i do work with Tony & have access to all kinds of nice toys that way, its also nice to still build your own.

this is my last unfilled stamp & now i'll have to send in some more forms for some other ones. why? because we can!

so lets get into this... since this is not Silencer Talk its just gonna be the basic over view of it and the video from today.

the length is perfect for what i said on my stamp! (12" & 9mm cal)

diameter is 2" outside.. right at 1 3/4" inside..

threads are very very heavy and deep..

rubber ring seals & rubber coated outside that you COULD remove if you wanted to.... i think.

this looks to have much more large caliber potential than the light did. MUCH MUCH stronger tube/threads.

See less See more
#2 ·
parts list/cost

wix filter 24003 $20

1.75" pipe x12" $6

1.75" freeze plugs Dorman 5550034 $7

1.75" washers $3

1 adapter to 1/2 x28 $15
cost: $51
tax stamp $200

OTD price: $251

did a few quick tests

in the basic set up.. 5.45 & tok sound just like a unsupressed 22lr. :p

7.62x39 is pretty close as well..

didnt get to test it on the 9mm as its coming down in buckets here..

all in all its just like we said: noise reduction for shooting with no earpons... but not silent

this is a 9mm registered can that im running 7.62x39 thru for this test...

sure it could have been a little quieter if it was 7.62 hole size instead of 9mm...

but the entire idea for this build is to be able to use it on different stuff.

as you can tell this is very hearing safe.

factory 7.62x39 wolf steel case ammo on all 4 shots.

with just a little tweaking im sure this would be even quieter.. but im a rookie at this part of our hobby.

[video=youtube;wtivW29Qa1Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtivW29Qa1Y[/video]

#5 ·
KK,

yes i do... probably will.

the point of this particular build at this time was to do it without & as dog simple as possible & see what could come of it.

for the simple set up that it is, im pretty happy. :w00t1:

the next version will be all about maximum reduction and minimum weight cause this one is HEAVY.

#6 ·
Nice! Sean, have you tried coneing your freeze plugs? Its simple to do, just put a ball bearing up against the hole and squeeze in a vice. The plug o.d. will change unless you put the plug into something to keep it from it, like a section of pipe about 1/2" long fitted so the plug just fits inside. I'm sure this is old news to you anyway, but I'm just starting to wrap my head around this stuff. Here's at sloppy drawing of what I mean. I tried it and it makes beautiful cones.

#7 ·
YES & YES... :thumbup1:

as posted to Kernnel:

i purposely left this a "flat" set up just to see how much difference there would be. it was more just seeing if this would work with the pressures & so on .... you cant trust anything someone says on the net of "oh listen its so quiet" & then after you blow your face off you find out that they were running subsonic custom loads instead of full power surplus stuff..

now that we know it does work & hold up to full power surplus loads, the fine tuning can begin. :)

the "good" freeze plugs that we use are not too hard to make cones out of with some tricks ive learned from SubSonic & a few other can GURU's...

not sure im even gonna go that route with this. as big & heavy as this can is, it might need a different internal design if maximum quiet was the goal. it just wasnt my goal at the time.. feasibility/safety & no hearing protection was the goal up to this part.

have i got you talked into doing one of these now? if so, it will be great to see where you can take it on your run thru... we may come up with something totally different to "go inside" ..

LMAO

#8 ·
I'll be sticking to the no-machine building, as I have no machines! Well, except for a drill press. I was at the range a few weeks ago and someone had one of the Maglite brand homebuilds with coned freezeplugs on a 22/45. I was very impressed. Action sound and bullet impacting the backstop was about all I heard. I refuse to buy a sup for the insane prices they charge. Happy building! John

#9 ·
cant wait to see you get this going!

you coming to the creek this year?

if so, i'll bring it & you can get a good look at it.

#10 ·
Man I hope so. I want to meet more of the Gunco and WG guys. Got my WG t-shirt so now I can blend in. And if some yahoo makes a smart-arse comment about my kilt like that turd did last time I'm gonna curb stomp 'em. Ummm, Sean, You do got by back, right? LOL!

#11 ·
^^^ you know i do bud.

3 of my favorite things all start with F. LMAO (f***kin, fighting, food)... the order they fall in can vary. ROTFL

beside if you & me cant cover it, we'll let DemonDave go all commando on them, doesnt take much for him to have a flashback...flashout.

but maybe you better wear something under that kilt if your planning on having a rumble. :bawling:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.