Thread: Long range AK Tech Specs

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Default Long range AK Tech Specs

Hey guys,

Getting a ton of questions on the AK Sniper, I want to give y'all a run down on the build.

First we started with a Saiga .308, it was mentioned numerous times, as well as when we chose the off the shelf match ammo and loaded up hand loads for it on camera, I guess it didn't make the cut, details often don't make it in. And whomever would even think a X39 round is capable of that range is probably not a buyer anyway....

We used a stainless Kreiger 1:10 34" blank, it was chambered with an obermeyer match chamber for Reliable feeding and proper throat for the 168 and 175 grain loads and turned down to ~1" and cut at 24".

The gas system was cut as short as possible and uses a Micro Galil piston, the gas tube is a galil piece that was cut down and integrated into the RSB so it would free float and not touch the FGB.

The FGB is a fully new fabricated unit so the gas piston would not touch.

The Barrel was floated and bedded using a block that was integrated and pressed into and onto both the Trunnion and Receiver (Slips under and past the front trunnion for quite a ways, almost to the mag hole) the free float tube was pressed over that block and screwed to the receiver and Bedding block.

The Barrel was head spaced tight after the bolt locking lugs, bolt face, Trunnion and Barrel face was all parallel ground.

The FCG started as an Off the shelf unit which was redesigned and the sear re-profiled to have a neutral and shorter engagement. It was also setup with adjustable pre-travel and over travel stops. The hammer was lightened and the Heaviest hammer spring I could find was used to bring the lock time down (I think it was an FPK).

The Carrier was fitted to the receiver as tightly as possible and smoothed to ensure function, the recoil spring was a brand new Galil Telescoping unit with a new rear over travel stop in place of the .308 version.

The receiver was boxed for stiffening at the rear with an extra heavy weld-on plate and fitted with a PRS stock.

I would like to develop a set of stiffening rails for the whole receiver but the trunnion and bolt lock up tight as hell.

I think that was about it as far as high points, there was a lot of detail stuff done that only shows up as the guns are built.

The First group shown on TV was actually a 5 round group at 100 yards with one as a flyer (new trigger for the shooter), the 4 were in the one hole to the lower right (about .2 MOA) .After that I guess it is kind of uninteresting for TV to see the groups naturally spread as the distance increased... It's hard to beat Shooting through a windshield ,a back glass and popping a bad guy in the neck and hitting an 8"X10" baggy of SureShot tapped to a propane cylinder right behind him for a demonstration of it's capability. We are not on the Military channel guys, little bitty holes punched in paper at 100,500,800 and 1000 yards are not interesting to most of the world, I am surprised that any of the sight in groups even made it in!
    Will Hayden, RedJacket Firearms
    www.Redstick-Firearms.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Thanks for the details on that sniper.
    Interesting to see how far the accuracy was improved
    in your x39 build. Keep up the amazing work.
    Charter member-Busted Box Club est. 2006

"I will adhere to the Patriot Act, the one signed in 1776"
    - Marc Anderson

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Hi Will,

Thanks for the info. I really enjoy the show, and wish you great success.

BTW: Your Daughter is a great role model. My girls love her!
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bellson View Post
    Hi Will,

Thanks for the info. I really enjoy the show, and wish you great success.

BTW: Your Daughter is a great role model. My girls love her!
    I appreciate that Bellson , shes good people .

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Great info Will. Thanks much for sharing it. The show is great entertainment even if the stuff we enthusiasts would like winds up on the cutting room floor. Ditto on your daughter being a great role model. I think that you both have done an excellent job together, and deserve all the good fortune that comes your way.

Semper Fi
    Parris Island 1982 3rd Bat. "I" Co.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

THank you guy's . We're talking about doing some "tech" videos on some of these projects they air as well some conversion videos . When to find the time though ?

BHP
    Feedback Score

I'd think the tech videos would help the serious shooters understand the process and would enhance the show. Most of the viewing public wouldn't care about the details so I understand why they don't have it on the show. I'd think that some of the details that end up on the cutting room floor could be on the show's site and would only help draw and hold interest of those that are gun savy.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BHP View Post
    I'd think the tech videos would help the serious shooters understand the process and would enhance the show. Most of the viewing public wouldn't care about the details so I understand why they don't have it on the show. I'd think that some of the details that end up on the cutting room floor could be on the show's site and would only help draw and hold interest of those that are gun savy.
    That's our thought on it .

Feedback Score

Have you thought about doing a sniper conversion with one of the Super Vepr's? I've got a Super Vepr that had similar work done to my rifle. I've got one of the older units with the different scope mount that keeps the scope closer to the barrel. There is still enough room for the scope to quick detach with low Molot 30mm rings and 50mm objective.
    Another thing to think about is putting a recoil reducer in the A2 butt stock tube since it's wasted space anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long range AK Tech Specs-img_1271.jpg  

Long range AK Tech Specs-img_1272.jpg  

Long range AK Tech Specs-img_1273.jpg  

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AZAKMS View Post
    Have you thought about doing a sniper conversion with one of the Super Vepr's? I've got a Super Vepr that had similar work done to my rifle. I've got one of the older units with the different scope mount that keeps the scope closer to the barrel. There is still enough room for the scope to quick detach with low Molot 30mm rings and 50mm objective.
    Another thing to think about is putting a recoil reducer in the A2 butt stock tube since it's wasted space anyway.
    That is absolutely gorgeous . We are doing some stuff , coming up , with Vepr's , but the "1000yrd AK thing is done and I never intended it to become a production item .

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.