Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Any news on the RPD builds?

Feedback Score

Stan shipped my MKI. last Monday. I talked to him briefly and it sounded like the Brens were pretty much done and prep work on the RPDs had been started. He did amazing work on my Bren. Looking forward to sending him my MG34 and RPD.

Feedback Score

Yes, Stan says prep work on the RPDs has started. He said mine is built and awaiting semi parts that will come early this week. Then he will test fire it, blue it, and ship it.

Gunco Veteran AK Builder FloridaAKM's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

From Stans website:
    12/10/2011

The RPD run is in progress, the first 15 guns should be ready to test fire by wednesday. The next 15 are in the
    process of having the barrels installed.

I hope to have extra RPD FCG sets to sell in about a week

The Vickers parts are on the way back from Lonnie, I have Gordie K on the way down to get these builds started.

I feel like a kid @ Christmas again, just no Red Ryder BB gun this time!

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?" - Sarah Palin
    New Member of the Busted Box Club

Feedback Score

I just got my kit back from Stan at project guns today. I say kit because in 18 weeks he failed to finish building my RPD. This was up from the initial 6-8 weeks I was told when I sent my kit in. I didn't pester him, but communicated on a regular basis to see where the progress was at. In 18 weeks I got nothing but excuse after excuse along with some flat out lies. It went from one lead time to another, then he needed my invoice number to determine lead time, then later (even after I had given him my invoice number) he couldn't tell me where my gun was at with the others, then he couldn't give me any lead time at all. Not once did he even attempt to apologize for the ridiculous lead times. In the end, he sent the kit back due to my "abuse" as he called it.
    In 18 weeks he managed to do about 40 minutes worth of machining, remove the bipod from the barrel, and bead blast my parkerized DSA receiver. For everyone that still has a kit there, he is (according to him) making semi-auto parts (which are curiously listed as "in stock" on his website), which will need fitted to each of the 40 some guns he said he was making. He still needs to turn the threads off of the barrels, press and headspace them, then parkerize every gun. I would be very surprised if anyone sees a finished rifle before February. Below are all the emails Stan and I exchanged. The only communication not there is the call where I asked when my gun would be finished, he asked for my name, went on a tirade about how he didn't need my abuse (when he realized who I was), said he was sending my kit back and hung up on me.

I am a manufacturing engineer who runs a 26 person CNC job shop. I ran CNC mills for 5 years before I started running this shop. I deal with customers on a daily basis and this isn't how it's done. I sent this to Stan because I have too many projects already. Now all I have to show for it is 40 minutes of machining and 18 weeks lost. Also, if you are on a few of the other gun building forums excuse the cross posting. I want anyone who might be inclined to deal with Stan to know the facts before they send a kit to him.

To: Stan
    Date: Wednesday, July 27, 2011, 11:25 AM

I just saw that you are working on some builds. I have a parts kit and DSA receiver and wondered if I could still get in on this. The barrel is already out of the old receiver section. Please let me know as I can send it out ASAP. Thanks. (I do have a weaponeer semi-auto parts kit as well if needed)

Thad Temple

To: Thad
    Date: Wednesday, July 27, 2011, 1:22 PM

Hi,
    send it, I don't use the wise lite semi parts . be sure to put your name, address and phone # in the box

Stan

Date: Wednesday, July 28, 2011, 9:44 AM

It's going out UPS today. What is your approximate lead time? Thanks.

Thad Temple

Date: Wednesday, July 28, 2011, 11:15 PM

Hi
    6-8 weeks
    Stan

Date: Sunday, August 07, 2011 12:47 PM

Hi,
    invoice for your rpd build is attached.
    Stan

Date: Monday, August 8, 2011, 8:02 AM

When should I send the money, and how
    do you prefer payment? Thanks.

Thad Temple

Date: Monday, August 08, 2011 9:33 AM

HI,
    i WILL CALL WHEN THE GUN IS DONE FOR PAYMENT, YOU CAN PAY BY CC, CHECK OR MO STAN

Date: Wednesday, August 31, 2011, 12:09 PM

Just thought I'd shoot you
    an email to see if you had an idea of what the ship date on these is
    looking like. Thanks.

Thad Temple

Date: Monday, August 31, 2011 3:00 PM

sept or oct depending on your inv #

Date: Wednesday, August 31, 2011, 3:18 PM

INV: 1166

Date: Tuesday, September 27, 2011, 3:14 PM

Invoice 1166. Just curious as to where you are at with mine. Just want to make sure the funds are ready when the gun is. Thanks.

Thad Temple

Date: Monday, September 28, 2011, 9:49 AM

Hi,
    I am maching internals now, it will be about 4 weeks.
    Stan

Date: Thursday, October 13, 2011 10:00 AM

I'd like to have this by Friday the 28th, is that going to be possible? Thanks.

Thad Temple

Date: Monday, October 17, 2011 9:34 AM

Hi,
    I am building over 40 guns, it won't be ready by then.
    Stan

Date: Monday, October 17, 2011 1:47 PM

I just saw that you were away at Knob Creek. I understand the quantity of guns you're are dealing with. I'm a manufacturing engineer at a large CNC job shop. I sent this to you because I just didn't have time to work on it. I'd just like some sort of date. Originally I was told 6-8 weeks. Then I was told another 4 weeks after that time was up. Right now we're working on 11 weeks and you're telling me that it won't be done in 12 weeks. Any idea on a realistic ETA?

Thad Temple

Date: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:36 PM

Hi,
    can't give a date, I don't know how many guns are ahead of you.
    Stan

Date: Wednesday, November 9, 2011 3:09 PM

I've been pretty patient with your delays. So have a lot of other people that I've talked to who are waiting for their builds. I would like your best guess as to when my RPD may be done. My invoice number is 1166. Thanks.

Thad Temple

Date: Friday, November 11, 2011 8:43 AM

I am building 45 of these at once, it takes time, I want them done asap as it is pay day for me when they ship.

Date: Friday, November 11, 2011 8:48 AM

That isn't a good enough answer. You've already told me this, and honestly, it isn't my problem as a customer that you took on more work than you could handle. It also isn't my fault as a customer that you chose to move your shop after taking on this many builds. Maybe I have less sympathy for you because I run a CNC shop with 26 employees and 35 machines and deal with this all day long.

I want an estimate in weeks. Before Thanksgiving, after Thanksgiving, before Christmas...I want something to go by. After almost 14 weeks, they ought to be close, and being that you've built these before, you ought to have a pretty good idea.

Thad

Date: Friday, November 11, 2011 11:55 AM

I moved and invested in bigger better equipment to get work out faster. I can't give you a delivery date, but I can send your kit back if you can't wait.

Date: Friday, November 11, 2011 12:02 PM

I don't want a half finished kit back with 14 weeks of time I could have been working on it lost. I'm still baffled as to how you can't give me any sort of date at all. This is especially annoying at a price of 875.00 which is a premium price for the amount of machine work and parts that are included. I even went to the trouble of removing my barrel from the receiver stub before sending it. At this point I'd have a hard time recommending your build services on any of the half a dozen gun forums I'm on.

Thad Temple

Date: Friday, December 01, 2011 8:15 AM

Stan,

Is this going to be done before or after Christmas? I'm actually going to be in Florida during Christmas, and in Honduras for a mission trip the 5-15 of January. It's gone from 6-8 weeks to 17 weeks now. I really don't give a shit at this point, I just need to know so I can make some plans.

Date: Friday, December 8, 2011 9:36 AM

18 weeks now. I don't care what your situation is, I expect an email back in a timely manner unless you are literally working 24 hours a day or you're dead. Before or after Christmas?

Date: Friday, December 09, 2011 10:39 AM

the guns are being built, it will be after christmas. thanks for your your kind words

Date: Friday, December 09, 2011 11:11 AM

I decided I don't need your abuse, so I am sending your kit back

Date: Friday, December 9, 2011 12:20 PM

Stan,

First off, below it the email you referenced on the phone. I did not, as you stated, say that I didn't care if you were dead. I said that would be an acceptable excuse as to why you couldn't respond to an email in over a week. In the 18 weeks you've had this kit, I could have sent it to one of 5 other guys to have it finished but I decided to stick it out with you since you had time into it. If you send my kit back unfinished, I'll be posting this entire email chain along with everything that has transpired on every online forum I'm on. I've already found two threads online about people currently waiting for their RPD's and several people who have RPD's that you built who are having problems that you don't seem interested in fixing. I would prefer that you finish the gun. If you finish it, I'll pay you and our business will be done. If you send me back a half machined parts kit, I guarantee you will lose a serious amount of business. If I don't hear from you by tomorrow afternoon I'll assume that you aren't concerned about losing business.

Date: Friday, December 9, 2011 1:12 PM

Stan,

I changed my mind, go ahead and send my kit back. I would rather people know about how you do business. I wish someone would have told me ahead of time that as far as Project Guns is concerned, Stan is always right, the customer isn't. Funny, when you read back through all the emails there isn't one apology from you for this grossly excessive wait time. I know now that you're telling other people with RPD kits you're building that you're waiting on semi auto parts even though your website states that they are in stock. I just don't trust you at this point. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Well...We've all known Stan for a LONG time. We've all known the facts & think his work is worth the wait. I truly feel sorry for the 26 poor saps working under you Mr. important.

Joining GUNCO just to show your ass in kind of TROLL like
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Gunco Veteran AK Builder FloridaAKM's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

When you constantly inquire about a build that you sent to Stan, it takes away from his machine time, to actually answer all the emails. If this project was an industrial necessity as I am normally used to having to do on a daily basis in my line of work @ the chemical plant, it would be a problem. This build is a hobby project that I trusted Stan to do, not myself! He will get it done, correctly, as his schedule allows. Several of my close friends have RPD's in the same time frame build as mine & we are not going to sweat Stan on the, "Are we there yet" questions! Rant over!

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?" - Sarah Palin
    New Member of the Busted Box Club

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrock View Post
    Well...We've all known Stan for a LONG time. We've all known the facts & think his work is worth the wait. I truly feel sorry for the 26 poor saps working under you Mr. important.

Joining GUNCO just to show your ass in kind of TROLL like
    When I ask a person who works for me when they are going to get something done, they don't lie to me or string me along. We all get along great. And yes, clearly I joined in February knowing that 9 months later I was going to complain about something that I wasn't even aware was going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaAKM View Post
    When you constantly inquire about a build that you sent to Stan, it takes away from his machine time, to actually answer all the emails. If this project was an industrial necessity as I am normally used to having to do on a daily basis in my line of work @ the chemical plant, it would be a problem. This build is a hobby project that I trusted Stan to do, not myself! He will get it done, correctly, as his schedule allows. Several of my close friends have RPD's in the same time frame build as mine & we are not going to sweat Stan on the, "Are we there yet" questions! Rant over!
    Yes, the 12 emails I sent over the 18 weeks he actually had the kit in his possession are what help up the entire operation. The gun is a hobby for me, but it is a full time job for Stan, so I would expect him to deal with it how I would deal with customers at my full time job. If his schedule needed 18 weeks to get the gun done, then so be it, but he should have told me that at some point, like maybe from the very beginning. Not a continuous change of dates and then finally telling me he doesn't know when it will be done.

Maybe he is honest and polite with you, he wasn't with me. If you get along with Stan and are willing to either have no communication, or get lied to when you ask, continue to do business with him, that is your choice. Just as it's my choice to post my experience for others to take or leave.

Feedback Score

Cool

Sporkman:
    I've been a customer of Project Guns for many years now and am the proud owner of numerous builds I have trusted Stan with. Yep, every one of them took longer than I expected. Yep, every one of them turned out far nicer than I expected. Yep, I discovered that Stan is not in the "Customer Service" business. Yep, I discovered that he is an "Absolute Gun Artist." I've yet to find another gun builder that can take a box of greasy, grimy cut up steel junk, and turn it into a beautiful weapon that would look great on any den wall and perform great on the range. If you are that great talented gun builder Mr. Spork, please let us know so we can consider your work. Perhaps you should spend more time doing your own builds rather than all of this time trying to defame one that doesn't have the time to hold your hand. If you want great "Customer Service" handholding, I would suggest that you try Nordstrom's. If you want a quality build done right (I know, you have to have a Spork schedule) then I use Project Guns. I have an RPD kit in the current group of 40. Yep, I would love to have it in time for Christmas. Yep, I wish Stan would have done the Brens after my RPD, but, the Brens Were there first! Yep, if he had only accepted 10 RPD kits instead of 40, they might be done by now. But then, maybe mine wouldn't have made the first group of 10 and I'd still have an unbuilt kit in my closet. Yep, I'm happy I'm in the queue at all! Nope, I'm not sending e-mails or making phone calls to have my hand held. Project Gun's reputation over the years assures me that no build will be rushed before its time and I'm happy to wait rather than eat up the Builder's limited time. Yep, I've wasted enough time reading and responding to your whining, but then, we used many of these cherished weapons to defend your precious right to whine all over this land.
    Have a Merry Christmas Mr. Spork!
    Newvik

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Newvik View Post
    Sporkman:
    I've been a customer of Project Guns for many years now and am the proud owner of numerous builds I have trusted Stan with. Yep, every one of them took longer than I expected. Yep, every one of them turned out far nicer than I expected. Yep, I discovered that Stan is not in the "Customer Service" business. Yep, I discovered that he is an "Absolute Gun Artist." I've yet to find another gun builder that can take a box of greasy, grimy cut up steel junk, and turn it into a beautiful weapon that would look great on any den wall and perform great on the range. If you are that great talented gun builder Mr. Spork, please let us know so we can consider your work. Perhaps you should spend more time doing your own builds rather than all of this time trying to defame one that doesn't have the time to hold your hand. If you want great "Customer Service" handholding, I would suggest that you try Nordstrom's. If you want a quality build done right (I know, you have to have a Spork schedule) then I use Project Guns. I have an RPD kit in the current group of 40. Yep, I would love to have it in time for Christmas. Yep, I wish Stan would have done the Brens after my RPD, but, the Brens Were there first! Yep, if he had only accepted 10 RPD kits instead of 40, they might be done by now. But then, maybe mine wouldn't have made the first group of 10 and I'd still have an unbuilt kit in my closet. Yep, I'm happy I'm in the queue at all! Nope, I'm not sending e-mails or making phone calls to have my hand held. Project Gun's reputation over the years assures me that no build will be rushed before its time and I'm happy to wait rather than eat up the Builder's limited time. Yep, I've wasted enough time reading and responding to your whining, but then, we used many of these cherished weapons to defend your precious right to whine all over this land.
    Have a Merry Christmas Mr. Spork!
    Newvik
    I'll say it again, I'm not telling anyone "not" to spend their money with Stan. I'm telling them to be cautious. He will tell you what you want to hear (lead time of 6-8 weeks) even when he knows that isn't possible. If you are content to deal with someone who has terrible customer service, fantastic. If you have dealt with him before and are aware that his timelines are unrealistic based on what he has going on, great, I wasn't. And when I asked on numerous occasions he was flat out dishonest. I was one of the last people to send a kit in as well. I've talked to several people who sent kits to him in May. *edit I also forgot to point out that there are several customers with RPDs from Stans last batch that don't run right that Stan has been reluctant to help with.

I'm an excellent machinist. I have CNC mill and lathe at home as well as a manual mill and lathe. With that comes dozens and dozens of projects for myself and others. I sent this to Stan not because I couldn't build it myself but because I didn't want to wait 6 months until a time when I could get to it.

As for having my "hand held." I don't think you understand the phrase. As a customer paying almost 1000.00 to have this kit built with 750.00 worth of my parts in Stan's hands, I expect an open line of communication. If this were a hobby for him, I could have been much more understanding, but this is what he does for a living to put bread on his table. If he doesn't have time to answer emails then he needs to hire someone who can. I answer twice as many emails a week as he has total customers at any given time. Sometimes I have to take an hour after work at home to just answer emails. If he can't deal with customers because of time constraints (and poor attitude) then he should hire a part timer to just take care of that 3 days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Newvik View Post
    Yep, I've wasted enough time reading and responding to your whining, but then, we used many of these cherished weapons to defend your precious right to whine all over this land.
    Don't be so melodramatic. Whining would have been me coming here crying "where's my gun, where's my gun." I've decided that Stan's lead times and attitude towards customers aren't in line with what I'm looking for. I'm simply stating what happened so others can make that decision before the fact rather than after.

And more of the weapons Stan builds were used against us than were used defending us.
    Last edited by spork2367; 12-16-2011 at 01:29 PM.

Feedback Score

I have a dog in this hunt so will chime in.

During last year’s run of RPDs I had Stan build me one. Delivery took quite a while (can’t remember how long exactly) but the gun was beautiful when it finally got here. Operation was sporadic for the first 1-200 rounds but I was in contact with Stan and we finally got it running pretty well. I believe that it just took some shooting to break it in.

Things were good for another several hundred rounds but when the round count neared 1K things started to get interesting. It doubled and tripled on me several times and the striker began to fail to fall when the trigger was pulled. I contacted Stan via e-mail and he asked that I send it back so he could take a look at it. I did and it was returned after a week or so.

Took it out again and it ran fine for 1-200 rounds and then the problems began again. This time, the striker failing to fall when the trigger was pulled got worse. The doubling or tripling was less of a problem but was still present. I had contacted Stan again via e-mail and he replied that it worked fine for him. I took it back out and the problems persisted. I contacted him AGAIN and he wrote that he’d let me know when to send it in again. That was back in August.

Still in my possession, I tried the rifle again during Thanksgiving and it still had problems. Keep in mind that, essentially have an illegal weapon at this point due to no fault of my own. With this in mind I had kept all communication written so I could prove that I was attempting to rectify the problem if asked about it.

I contacted Stan AGAIN following the holiday and he wrote that I send it back. I did just that but had to pay the shipping myself. Remember that his warranty is for one year. This rifle is not a year old yet. Shipping should have been covered . . . But . . . Oh well. At this time the rifle is in FL hopefully in the process of being fixed.

Upon seeing my RPD when I first got it a friend decided to have Stan build one for him as well. I also decided that I’d have him build me a shorty model as well. Thus, we have two kits in this next run. I’ll admit that I’m a bit nervous as to how they will turn out. I’m sure they’ll be beautiful . . . But . . . Will they run?

I’m not here to bash Stan at all as he seems like a really good guy. However, I’m also not going to join in the love fest that some here seem engaged in either. Some of you guys can defend or love on Stan all you want but I’ll bet you’ll feel different if your RPD has the problems that mine (and a few others) have had. If you end up with an essentially illegal weapon and are having problems getting it fixed you might feel a little differently.

I simply want my PRD fixed into working order and expect the shorty to operate as expected too. Surely anyone else with a kit in the pipeline expects the same.

Now, before anyone says that they have had one of PG’s RPDs and it’s been fine let me ask you something - how many rounds have you shot through it? Mine ran fine for several hundred rounds too. Put 1,000+ through it and get back to me. Hopefully you have and it’s been problem-free. If not, at least give Stan some feedback in case he needs to make a design change. He’ll never know if the current designed is flawed unless he knows about it.

Truthfully? I’m beginning to think that most of these are used for nothing more than safe queens and are not shot at all or are shot very little.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.