Gunco Forums banner

Mini-14 project

4K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  dario541 
#1 ·
I wanted to try something different for a change and the mini-14 platform has always intrigued me. I knew I wanted a pre-ban stainless GB model. I scored a mini that was a MI corrections gun trade in when they transitioned to ARs.

This is what I started with.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I hated the looks of the Tapco stock, but it was the correct model I was looking for. pre-ban stainless GB model. The GB (government barrel) has the flash hider and bayo lug.

I switched out the stock, did a trigger job following this tutorial Ruger Mini14 Trigger Job by Great West Gunsmithing

It now looks like this

Attachments

#3 ·
I stripped the barrel, had Zap move the front swivel to the side of the gas block to emulate the AC-556 (full auto) model and installed an under size gas bushing.
I found acquiring a quick sight picture was difficult due to the wide front blade and small peep sight. So I thinned the front blade from .080 down to .070 and increased the peep sight from .093 to .113. Made a world of difference.

Attachments

#4 ·
The trigger job brought the pull down from 6 1/2lb to 4 1/2lb and cleaned it up nicely. These things are way over gassed from the factory. They will cycle anything but it really beats up the gun.
I had Zap make me a .050 gas bushing to replace the .080 factory bushing. I also added a wilson combat 1911 buffer (they work great in a mini). Now the gun is not beating itself up with every shot.

#6 ·
That looks nice x39!! I'm not a big Mini-14 guy, although I have owned them in the past, but I really like the looks of that one.

#7 ·
Looking good. Are there any other changes being planned for it? :)

#8 ·
I have a magpul single point, 2 point convertible sling on the way. I'm going to bed the stock and I may add a forward rail and a scout scope, but other than that, it's pretty much good to go.
The few changes I did make, made a world of difference. These things are notorious for pitching brass into the next zip code, but reducing the gas port fixed that.

The trigger job tightened up the groups about an inch. It's no sniper rifle for sure, but it will shoot 2-3 MOA. These rifles seem to respond very well to bedding and I expect to tighten that up a little more once that is done. The barrels are very skinny on these things and harmonics are a real issue.

#9 ·
interested where this ends up , I would love to get more accuracy from my mini .

#16 ·
B4 I sold mine I mounted a 3x9x 40 scope with look thru mounts...

Had to hand cut the the see thru's to make them viable. Since Ruger is not scope friendly.

However the mini 14 is a neat compact rifle and with the folding stock a really cool gun!

#17 ·
According to Diane Swinestein's new Assault weapons ban, the Mini-14 as it comes in its regular clothing, is exempt from the ban! I was thinking of purchasing an ATI replacement stock for it. This stock comes with a pistol grip and folding stock. These 2 items will make it subject to Swinestein's ban. If I leave it stock, I can continue to use it! Does that make sense? Does anything that these intellectual pigmies in our government do make sense? In most every thing else, the cream rises to the top. In government, it's the feces that rise to the top!

#18 ·
I thought that this was a great thread, too. I have a couple of Minis that I plan to do a few modifications to. There are a lot of changes I would like, but I haven't totally settled on anything. Because of the current buying frenzy, some of the changes I want to make may not be possible.
Anyhow, thank you 7.62X39. You did a lot of good work and I'm glad that you showed it to us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.