Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mini-14 project

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default Mini-14 project

I wanted to try something different for a change and the mini-14 platform has always intrigued me. I knew I wanted a pre-ban stainless GB model. I scored a mini that was a MI corrections gun trade in when they transitioned to ARs.

This is what I started with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I hated the looks of the Tapco stock, but it was the correct model I was looking for. pre-ban stainless GB model. The GB (government barrel) has the flash hider and bayo lug.

I switched out the stock, did a trigger job following this tutorial Ruger Mini14 Trigger Job by Great West Gunsmithing

It now looks like this

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I stripped the barrel, had Zap move the front swivel to the side of the gas block to emulate the AC-556 (full auto) model and installed an under size gas bushing.
    I found acquiring a quick sight picture was difficult due to the wide front blade and small peep sight. So I thinned the front blade from .080 down to .070 and increased the peep sight from .093 to .113. Made a world of difference.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

The trigger job brought the pull down from 6 1/2lb to 4 1/2lb and cleaned it up nicely. These things are way over gassed from the factory. They will cycle anything but it really beats up the gun.
    I had Zap make me a .050 gas bushing to replace the .080 factory bushing. I also added a wilson combat 1911 buffer (they work great in a mini). Now the gun is not beating itself up with every shot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Good project, I like it! The new stock is reminiscent of he M1 Carbine paratrooper folding stock, but much more robust.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

That looks nice x39!! I'm not a big Mini-14 guy, although I have owned them in the past, but I really like the looks of that one.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Looking good. Are there any other changes being planned for it?
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I have a magpul single point, 2 point convertible sling on the way. I'm going to bed the stock and I may add a forward rail and a scout scope, but other than that, it's pretty much good to go.
    The few changes I did make, made a world of difference. These things are notorious for pitching brass into the next zip code, but reducing the gas port fixed that.

The trigger job tightened up the groups about an inch. It's no sniper rifle for sure, but it will shoot 2-3 MOA. These rifles seem to respond very well to bedding and I expect to tighten that up a little more once that is done. The barrels are very skinny on these things and harmonics are a real issue.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

interested where this ends up , I would love to get more accuracy from my mini .
    MOLON LABE !!!!!

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjemin Franklin

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. -- Sigmund Freud

TO vote for the lesser of two evils , is to still vote for evil.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mauser1959 View Post
    interested where this ends up , I would love to get more accuracy from my mini .
    Did you see this?
    Ruger Mini14 Trigger Job by Great West Gunsmithing

If you do nothing else, clip a half to one full coil off of the disconnector spring. I did that as well as the trigger job. They both work well, together or separately.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.