Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Mini-14, a great gun, but...

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I sold the mini I had simply because once you got a few rounds down the barrel it wasn't more accurate than my sks was with the barrel smoking. The only mags that worked at the time were the factory mags. I never needed any spare parts though.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

yea i got some really off the wall accuracy issues with two of the three the minis. the stainless ones were the worst. the other two were OK if 4MOA is your thing.

i probably could have tuned up the old 180 today--cut the barrel back some, add a heavy honking FH to dampen things down a bit. replace all those screws that kept backing out and striping with some good steel SPS hex screws--

the potential of the mini was there --it was the execution was poorly done.

i think ruger had some issues with their barrel steel in the minis.

the mini was one of those guns that everybody loved till they had one for a few years.

i didn't find them all that reliable either. kind of makes me wonder about all the gun rags going on on how reliable the mini was over the AR-15??--LOL!

when the dod was testing the AC-5.56 versions for export , one was firing full auto the bolt flew out of the carbine. i think the op-rod shattered --

we took apart another one that had see about 1k mostly full auto.

the moving parts were pounded all to hell , like the steel was too soft or they skipped the heat treat. then again it might have been cooking off rounds that beat it all to hell--

there were a few decent mags for the .223 mini those smoked plastic LANCERS seemed to run well enough.

if winchester had made the mini in the 1960s before they went wall street--that could have worked--LOL

everyone really wanted the mini to be the shit cause it was the m1a1s little brother --

a good smith might be able to do wonder with a good example.

a side note numrich had a bunch of used mini barrels for $60 they were pulls, now the question was were they pulls from guns set up with shop barrels or were they customer returns to the ruger factory?--

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

[quote=dario541;702499]Thanks for your comments. I appreciate all of them.
    I, too, like the Mini-14. Back during the 70s and 80s I read a lot of gun and survival magazines. The Mini was very popular with the various writers. And, I determined that I wanted one. So, years ago I purchased one of the (now) older models-the "pencil barrel" type. I still have it. It has always worked. I enjoy carrying and using it. It seems to be sufficiently accurate for a "duffer' like me. Under today's conditions, it's a keeper. It goes "BANG" every time I pull the trigger, so it will suffice for my needs.
    A couple of years ago I decided to buy one of the newer types (580, I think). It has a tapered barrel and is supposedly more accurate that the older model. I haven't had the opportunity to take it to the woods and test it yet. But, I hope to do so soon.
    In the current Shotgun News there is an ad for a new type of Gas Block for the Mini. It is adjustable. You can change the gas system to make the gun function to your specifications-anything from "mild to wild!" One you replace your old block with this one, you can easily adjust it as you shoot. There is no need to dismantle the gun. I like the looks of this product and am considering it. It does cost $119.11. But, if it functions as they say, it will be worth it to me.
    Another thing I am going to do is to order 2 Glendt replacement firing pins from Midway. These pins will have to be fitted to my guns, but, as an old former auto mechanic, I think I can do it. If not, there are several good gunsmiths in this area. Midway also sells various replacement springs and other small parts (extractors, etc) and I think I will make a small parts kit for my Minis. At that point, I will make it or break it with my Minis. I think it may be too late to try to accumulate M4s and their spare parts.
    I might add that I also have an AK47 and a couple SKSs.
    And, for all of the above I do have a good supply of ammo.

[url=http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com

[url=http://www.midwayusa.com[/QUOTE]

Yup! The adjustable gas system that I had looked like the Gen 1 unit they have at the bottom of the page. I think mine looked a little clunkier though.

Some of the other posts made good points, especially the trigger work that is possible. I did something similar, and it did improve things. I finally remembered the mags that I liked for the Mini, Thermold! You did have to clean up the mag lips a bit, but they fit, fed and functioned very well.

If your Minis are the 181 or later style, and are the Ranch variant, then optics are not an issue for you. If you have the non-Ranch Mini, then look into the side mount scope rails. These are not very good, but they work fine out to 300 yards.

My best advise is that you should consider a heavier profile barrel. j427 I think talked about the metal used in the barrels, and I agree with him. I found that the 181 series receivers and bolts were properly hard, but I have seen earlier examples that were as he described...Peened, battered, and scary.

Any rifle can be fixed, and any rifle is worth having if it functions correctly. Your Minis are fine, and I think you have a good plan for them (parts, spares, etc). The only downside is the barrel.

Just my $0.02
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

The mini is way over gassed from the factory. But, I don't think an adjustable gas block is necessary. Swapping out the factory gas bushing or a .050 will keep your brass in the same zip code and keep the rifle from hammering itself to death.
    Also if you have the early pencil barrel, a barrel strut from accustrut or mo-rod will really help your group size once it starts to get hot.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

All good points here. I have owned three, 181 series. After fine tuning them they had acceptable accuracy. I wasted alot of money on mags that could not be made to work. Then I bought a Tapco. It ran great. So I bought another, then 1 more. They all work great. i replaced the bbl on one that was badly pitted with one of the numrich take offs and it was very accurate.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score

I have several Ruger factory hi-cap mags. I also have a number of after-market hi-cap mags that I purchased during the Clinton "Assault Weapon Ban." I haven't tried all of the after market mags, but the ones I did try functioned OK.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dario541 View Post
    I have several Ruger factory hi-cap mags. I also have a number of after-market hi-cap mags that I purchased during the Clinton "Assault Weapon Ban." I haven't tried all of the after market mags, but the ones I did try functioned OK.

have you got any of the lancers? i don't think they have made a mini mag in a long long time--

that was the only AM mag that i could reliable function out of--in the mini.

my lancers would also work in the ar-15--

Feedback Score

I don't know what the make of my after market mags are. There are no markings. They all came sealed in individual plastic bags. So far, I have only opened a few. They work! I don't know about the rest. But, I guess I better take them out and learn how well they function.

Feedback Score

I have an old mini, I like it. I was at the gun shop the other day 55 bucks for a little extractor. That is what he told me. I lost a spring for my 77 and they sent it to me free.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

That is an $8 part.
    Extractor | Ruger Mini-14 | Ruger

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.