Thread: Ruger's Mini-30

Feedback Score

Default Ruger's Mini-30

Inasmuch as I already had an SKS and an AK47, I thought that a Ruger Mini-30 would be a good addition to my "herd." So, I bought one. Ruger had just announced that they were going to manufacture 20 and 30 round magazines for this gun. I like its looks. I like the way it handled in the store (couldn't shoot it, of course). So, I pulled out the money and bought it! Hooray for me!
    Then I took it home. And, I did an internet search on it. One thing that seemed to keep recurring was the fact that the Mini-30 and Mini-14 often broke firing pins. Well, that's no problem, is it? You can buy replacements, can't you?
    So, I sent an email to Ruger and asked about buying firing pins and a few other parts. They said that they did not want to do this. They said that they absolutely will NOT sell firing pins to anybody-not even a gunsmith! The only way you could get a replacement firing pin would be to send the rifle to their factory. You pay shipping both ways. You pay for the parts and labor. And, they made it pretty clear that they DID NOT want to do this!
    Well, I hadn't even removed the gun from its shipping box yet. I figured that it was hopeless, but I took it back to the dealer and asked for my money back. I told him I would spend it all in that store. He agreed to take it back! Whew! What a relief!
    So, now I have an SKS and an AK that shoot 7.62X39. And, I have NO desire to own a Mini-30. I do have two Mini-14s that I bought before I learned of Ruger's idiotic policies. I think that, between the two of them I can keep one running ("one is none and two is one").
    It is really too bad that Ruger is so inflexible about spare parts. I think that has cost them a lot of sales down through the years. I still would like to own a Mini-30 if I could only get a few spare parts. Any mechanical device can break down. I'd like to be prepared for such an event. I'll keep the Mini-14s and forget the Mini-30.

Feedback Score

Midway has firing pins made by Glend Arms Product # 988708 for $29.99. Also sold by Brownell's Number 350-200-241WB for $30.99 Only thing it is a little too long. Spec is 0.028 inch minimum to 0.038 inch maximum. Some very careful trimming would have to be done. Numrich Arms sells used gun parts also. It is hit or miss there but it is a source to check.

Feedback Score

Thank you. I have checked at Midway and was aware that they sell the Glend firing pin. And, of course it would have to be fitted. There is a gunsmith 2 blocks from where I live who can do the job. And, I guess that I could buy the necessary tools and do it myself. I used to be a car mechanic so I do know which end of a screwdriver to hold. I do appreciate it when other forum members have advice to share. That benefits all of us. Again, thanks.

Feedback Score

Always glad to help. My soninlaw has 2 Ruger mini's (one's a ranch I know) that are going to be auctioned at his auction March 16 in Hodges S.C. Last auction there was about 500-600 people there. I bought a 20 ton press like new for $209 with the $99 kit. Would have cost $630 + 3 or 4 gal. gas to Greenville S.C. at Northern Tool.

Feedback Score

I was at my favorite gun store recently. I got into a conversation with another customer about our favorite guns. He was bragging about his Mini-30. He says that it is light, dependable and just fun to shoot.
    I agreed with him. I told him how I once purchased a brand new Mini-30. I wanted it because it shoots the same ammo as my SKS's and AK47. Another gun in a caliber that I already have. It is a good thing not to get too many calibers. I like the way that this rifle handles. It seems to be a very good weapon for survivalists. I thought that it would fit right into my collection.
    But, then I started doing some research on the internet. I read that many people who own this rifle have had problems when they use the foreign cheap "JUNK" ammo. It seems that this rifle is prone to breaking firing pins when shooting junk. In their manual, Ruger says to use only American made ammo in this gun. SAY, WHAT? Why do they make a gun to shoot a FOREIGN caliber but not make it to shoot foreign ammo? Seems strange to me.
    But, if I could get a couple of replacement firing pins to keep for spares, then there would be no problem, right? If one breaks, I'll just replace it. So, I contacted Ruger (I eMailed the question to "Ask the CEO") about replacement firing pins. They were very resistant to selling me any. After a little bit of eMail exchanges, they said that they would do it, but, I would have to send the rifle back to them, paying for the new firing pin(s) and having them fitted, and, paying shipping both ways. I decided to get rid of that gun. I went back to the dealer and asked if I could trade it straight across for a Mini-14 (I had never fired it or done anything with it. It still looked like a new Mint firearm). Normally, you cannot return firearms, but, he allowed me to do it, so that, now, I have a mini-14 instead. I have heard that they, too, can break firing pins. But, I already had one so, now I have two (James Rawles says that "One is none and two is one!"). So, I believe I am better off this way. But, if I could find the right deal, I might trade both Mini's for ONE AR. You can buy handfuls of firing pins for them in the range of $8.00m each.
    Anyhow, I told the customer my story and recommended that he not use junk, foreign ammo in it. His reply was that he does it all the time and he is going to keep doing it. He's been lucky so far. But, if he ever does have a firing pin break and has to send it back to Ruger for replacement, he'll probably spend all the money he save by using junk.
    I will only use American made ammo in my two Rugers. I have some foreign made ammo, but, I plan to sell it and buy more American made. I think I'll be better off in the long run
    And, I might add that Midway sells after-market firing pins for the Mini-14. I may order a couple of them for spares.
    I love the way that both Mini's (14 and 30) look and handle, but, in a survival situation, I'm not sure that I would want to have to rely on either of them as my "One and only!"

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

welcome to the "world" of ruger--

7.62x39 mill surp and russian export ammo has hard primers and there set deep.

an ar-15 set up to fire 7.62x39 will have a trimmed bolt and more than likely an extra power hammer spring.

we might find somebody here on gunco that cam make you a stronger pin --

that what we do here --make shit.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

now see if this was an ar-15 the world is full of firing pins for $6 and they just drop in.

i suspect in a tight you could make one from a nail--

you get so spoiled to the "easy smithing' on the ar series --you know what they say "when you go black you'll never go back!"--LOL!

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.