Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a scope on my Mini-14?

Feedback Score

Default Do I need a scope on my Mini-14?

For a while I have been shifting back and forth over whether a Mini-14 really needs a scope. I'm getting up in years and my eyes are kind of tired, so, I do believe an optical device would be useful. However, I don't know what would be the best way to go.
    We know that the .223/5.56 caliber is not really a long range cartridge. It is probably at its best at no more than 300 yards. So, how much scope would someone need? Once when I was in a gun store, the clerk was mounting a big old monster scope (something like 4-18 power, i didn't know for sure) on a Tactical Mini. I thought that was overkill. But, if that is how the owner wants to spend his money, that is his right. It just seemed to eliminate the reason to have such a handy carbine in the first place.
    I have been thinking of either a red dot sight or maybe a small 4 power scope. Maybe a scope made for handguns would be good for me. I'd love to hear some more opinions.

Feedback Score

I have to agree with you about keeping it low power because the Mini-14 is not a nail driver. A wide field of vision with 1"or 2" green dot will do nicely for your or mine ( old eyes ) A pistol scope is out of the question because it takes long to find your target with the limited field of view such as a 28mm or 30mm eye piece.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and goverment, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so that the second will not become the legal version of the first" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

The Mini 30 one I had a few years back(post built in scope base) I put a compact 4x on it and that seemed to work just fine for me. I'd tried a 3x9 but it looked weird and was to big for the gun and mounting wasn't quite right to get good eye relief, the rings didn't sit in the right place on the scope. Cantiliver or extended one's might have helped. This was years ago and I didn't keep it long, so I only tried a couple scope combos. But if I remember right a full sized scope was an issue mounting it right. If I recall correctly it may have ejected the cases into the bottom of the full sized scope too,, don't remember for sure, unless I'm thinking of something else.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

since the mini shoots 223 i would say it should be lethal to about 350M.

if i was you i would look at something towards what the ar-15 guys run say a 1 to x5 power with unlimited eye relief or maybe some type of optical sight like an eotech

if i had to lo-ball a scope and still get good glass maybe a nikon fixed 4x --a scope sort of like what you would put on a brush gun.

with the mini a big scope is out --too much of a PITA to get it mounted properly and too clunky.

yea you can scope the mini -- it just depends on what your wanting to do, but smaller scopes with long eye relief get on target fast and don't spoil the quick pointing quality the mini has.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

i love my tasco world class on mine , not a high dollar scope , but fits well
    MOLON LABE !!!!!

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjemin Franklin

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. -- Sigmund Freud

TO vote for the lesser of two evils , is to still vote for evil.

Feedback Score

Mine has the built in scope bases. But, I also purchased a Picatinny rail to mount on it so that I would have more flexibility. I don't think I need more than a 4 power scope. But, these 74 year old eyes could use some help.
    I appreciate everybody's contributions. They are all helpful.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I got 63 year old eyes and I can relate!!! Sucks don't it???

Sense you're putting a rail on the mini 14 I may have a suggestion, I have a Sig Saur M400 that came with a 3x Sig scope QCB type scope, I really like it and it might be an option for you. I saw them on the Sig site too so If you'd like , take a peak there, you can check it out. It might work for you. Mines real clear edge to edge and stay's accurate time after time and won't break the bank either,, I'm thinking it was 60 something $$ ??. I use the Sig at 100m -150 m most of the time for bouncing beer cans around the south 40 and it works just fine, and it is nice and compact and would look good on the Mini 14 I'd think.

Check it out.

Feedback Score

Thank you, Guncoholic. I will do just that! I don't want a big scope on a small rifle. I don't think really high power is needed for the 223/5.56 cartridge. At least scopes are not currently in short supply.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I got one on my mini 30, Bushnell 3x9, nothing fancy.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Because of their design mini-14s (other than the ranch model) aren't really scope friendly when it comes to mounting. I think the best set up for them is some type of scout mount with a long eye relief scope that is designed to be mounted in the forward position. A mount such as this one would be a good choice.
    Amega Mounts Home page

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.