Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Polymer instead of aluminum on a 10/22-good or bad?

Feedback Score

Default Polymer instead of aluminum on a 10/22-good or bad?

Cut and pasted from Ruger website Q&A section

"I have heard that Ruger has changed the 10/22 carbine trigger group components from aluminum to polymer. Is this true and, if so, why was this change made?

Yes, it is true that we have updated the 10/22 trigger group components and that they are now made of glass-filled polymer instead of the die cast aluminum parts. Ruger engineers are always looking for ways to improve our products, including evaluating new and evolving technologies and materials. The benefits of polymers are many, including improved impact resistance, an unmatched ability to withstand the elements, and of course weight savings. Accordingly, polymers are routinely used in firearms that are subjected to heavy use in harsh conditions, law enforcement and military applications in particular. The new trigger group features injection molded components of high tech polymer for an improved product with closer manufacturing tolerances. The firearm is as reliable and, because the color is incorporated into the polymer of the injection molded components, the finish will never wear off due to normal use or unexpected abrasion. Also, the heat stabilized, glass-filled polymer will withstand impacts that would bend or even break the die cast aluminum parts previously used in Ruger 10/22's."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Fine in that application.

For me,,, I hate plastic frame guns though,,,

And as I have said a million times before,,,,"real steel is the real deal",,at least for me it is anyways. Polymers do have there place though, and that's a good example. IMO.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

eeeh---

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I hate plastic trigger groups. I like how they try to put a positive spin on it by saying that they are more impact resistant and can take impacts that would cause one of their aluminum grigger groups to crack.......Is it a trigger group or a hammer? I haven't heard of cracking trigger groups being a common problem with the 10/22, and with as popular as they are you think it would of showed up by now. They aren't improving anything, but they can make them much cheaper and still charge you the same amount. I would buy used before buying their "improved" version.

Feedback Score

I think most manufacturers are now using some form of "plastic" on their rifles. A while back I was allowed to go behind the counter at a local gun store. I saw a magnet laying their and I tried it on all of the trigger guards. Virtually everybody-Ruger, Remington, Savage, Marlin, Howa and maybe a couple others were using plastic. I guess that is the way things are right now. So, if you don't want plastic, look for something older; probably used.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

a plastic trigger guard is one thing but a plastic part in the fire control group is a fricking disaster!

if i was the BATF i would BAN all fricking plastic fire control parts.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Did I miss something?? Is it the housing or the trigger parts that are polymer?

If the trigger parts itself,,, Hell No,,,,,not for me,,,thanks. That IS a disaster waiting to happen.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

IIRC, at least the trigger has also become plastic in the newer models. As it has no contact surface with any of the hammer/sear/disconnector interface surfaces it should hold up in that application.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

IIRC the FN PS90 had a plastic hammer in it. Bought it, shot it, sold it, so I can't say for sure.

When some one can show me a plastic hammer that is 100 years old and still works, I'll buy it. Until then, I want all my moving parts to be made from metal.

Feedback Score

I, agree with tanvil. I want ALL moving parts to be made of a strong metal like steel. It would help my confidence a lot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.