Thread: Mini-14's stock-wood or synthetic?

Feedback Score

Default Mini-14's stock-wood or synthetic?

I recently read on another forum that Ruger was going to quit offering the Mini-14 with Wood stacks. I decided to do a little research. I visited Ruger's web site and found that they are still offering this gun with wood stocks. Maybe that will change someday.
    But, I did get to wondering. Which stock is the most preferred, Wood or Synthetic? I like the looks of walnut and I have a few rifles with that wood. But, I also have a few that have a different kind of wood-beech, maybe? And, I don't really care for that look.
    Both of my Minis have synthetic. One is by Ruger and the other is Ram Line. For my purposes, I think synthetic is better. It rains a lot here in Oregon and I think that having my Minis in stainless steel and synthetic stocks is preferable. I have heard that wood can retain moisture and cause your gun's point of impact to move.
    But, some of you may feel differently. Let's hear it!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i think the minis i had the early ones were beech , the later ones were ash.

and that last one i bought had some kind of soft-wood --it was very soft whatever it was , like you were supposed to just chuck it for plastic.

i would stick with the wood if it is an older model with a metal butt-plate.
    if it was the later models i would probably go with the plastic stocks.

Feedback Score

I kinda like my guns just as they are. They have the synthetic stocks. They are light and handy. I don't know of anything I can do to improve them. All I plan to do is try to obtain some spare parts. And, then I will go all the way with the Mini!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i never saw a mini with walnut-- a real walnut stock would be nice though.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

For looks, I think the stainless looks best with black plastic and the blued ones look best with wood. For comfort and resistance to abuse, I prefer the plastic.

Walnut would be nice but I don't think I've ever seen one either.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

The Mini & 10/22 I have both came with wood stocks, they are nice but as mentioned are soft, I switch them both out with aftermarket poly folders so if I ever decide to sell them I'll offer them with both.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

I have a few rifles that came with wood stocks. I installed synthetic on some of them. But, I kept the original stocks in case I ever want to use them or, if I decide to sell something (not likely in today's political climate) I can include them with the original weapon.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Years ago I acquired one of the Ruger factory folding stocks in a trade. It's built nice and solid. Stainless and wood. The last one I saw had a pricetag of $350 on fleebay.

If you run across a deal on one, they are worth having if you like the look of a folder.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I got lucky with a factory folder that someone missed spelled something in the title and I got it for about $200. After messing with it for a while, I really didn't care for it, it was built well but I just didn't like it, put it back on ebay starting it at what I paid and got just over $300 for it.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

I bought a aftermarket wood for mine its way better than the wood on the new ones if its a older mini just leave its factory wood in it.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.