Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mini-14 or AK47-Which is Best First choice?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

the AK can be accurate -- you have to compromise a little when your trying to crank them out by the millions for under $50 each-- LOL

the mini can also be accurate. though they certainly ain't KNOWN for their accuracy.

that would be a good shoot off for some gun rag AK vs mini--

mini is going to win cause ruger buys lots of ads--LOL!

Feedback Score

Never had the chance to shoot an AK. The mini 14 mag set-up is a pain for me.

Feedback Score

I wish I knew why Ruger did not make the Mini-14 to use the AR magazines. It sure would have been a lot better for all of us.

Feedback Score

AR mag set-up is alot easier and the mags are alot cheaper.

Gunco Veteran AK Builder FloridaAKM's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Spammer needs to go away now!

Thanks Mods, you are the best!
    Last edited by FloridaAKM; 09-02-2013 at 07:19 PM.

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?" - Sarah Palin
    New Member of the Busted Box Club

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

I have an issue with the Mini, wonder if any else has this problem. I have fired it with some ammo of questionable pedigree, that is to say probably corrosive. On one occasion, I did not clean it for a day or so and the gas port fused itself to the op rod. I had to use a dead blow hammer to free it. It seems that on the blued Minis this part seems very prone to corrosion and that caused these pieces to seize up with one another. This seems to be a bit of a flaw as compared to the chromed gas piston system of the AK
    Nemo ME Impune Lacessit
    Manus sapiens potens est
    пиштоли не убиваат луѓе, тие само го прават тоа полесно

Feedback Score

I own both if tshtf I'm grabbing the ak wife gets the mini-14 and my boy grabs the 10/22 problem solved lol.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Well,

This is an older thread. But I will throw in my $0.02. Just Because...

I have owned both, in large numbers. I like both, and I have no axe to grind.

My thoughts:

Mini-14 or Mini-30:
    Bad Magazine design / Execution. I have had mags just fall out. If Mini's were built to the same tolerances as M-14 rifles, this would not exist.
    No enough MEAT on the Receiver to Barrel Mate-up. A key to accuracy is to mate up the barrel to the receiver in such a way that there is zero movement. The mini and the AK suffer from this...Lot's of wobble. NOTE: this statement does not refer to Milled AKs. They are the best.
    Sights are just awful. Ruger should have made sights that would work out to 300 yards.
    Gas system is not all it could be. Clean one once, and you will know what I am talking about. Fail to clean it once and you will really know.

AK - NOT MILLED

Wiggly and wobbly when fired. Yes, every shot goes bang, and every bullet goes downrange. But, hitting an 18" target can get dicey at 300 yards or more. Some AKs are better than others. And, the issues are easily fixed with a thicker, stiffer receiver shell. I had a Hungarian SA-85 that was (literally) hit or miss at 300 yards. I also had an MAK-90 that was just fine and could hold 6" groups at 300 yards. Only real difference was the Hungarian has a 1mm receiver shell, and the MAK-90 has a 1.6mm Receiver shell...

Sights are crap. Just crap. They work, in much the same way an 81mm Mortar sight works.

End result. AK goes BANG. Mini has issues. Mini is more accurate. AK more robust. Mini must be cleaned every 200-300 rounds. AK can go 1000+ rounds before you knot up a boot lace and soak it in dirty motor oil to clean it with.

At the end of the day, both rifles remain very true to their intended purpose.

just sayin.....
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.