Gunco Forums banner

Mini-14 or AK47-Which is Best First choice?

8K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  bellson 
#1 ·
I have a Mini-14. I like it really well. It is light, fairly easy to handle, shoots the current American military caliber, and, best of all, people don’t freak out when they see it. It doesn’t look so “military.”
I also have a Romanian AK47. It is a very dependable firearm. Although it shoots a foreign designed caliber, at one time there was plenty of it around for very good prices. I used to buy it by the case. I also like it very well. It is not too heavy, it always fires when you pull the trigger, the caliber is powerful enough to do the job, and, it is fun to shoot. However, some people DO freak out when they see this gun! It is better not to show it around too much.
So, I like both of them. I feel that I would be well served carrying either of them if TSHF. They are both dependable. They don’t have extreme target accuracy, but they will both get the job done. I have ample ammo for both. So, I can get some practice. What I have to decide is: If I had to grab one and run, which would it be? I think either would do the job.
The AK47 has a reputation of ALWAYS firing! That’s a plus. The AK plus a certain amount of ammo would weigh more than the Mini with the same number of cartridges. And, I think that-within 200 yards-the AK probably hits a little harder. But, does the AK have a big edge over the MINI?
The Mini-14 also has the reputation of shooting every time you pull the trigger. Some people say that they have shot thousands of rounds without even cleaning it and it keeps going. I like handling this gun. It shoots a good caliber that should do the job. I think that its range is close to that of the AK.
The number one thing that would determine my choice is, probably, the availability of spare parts. The AK wins this one hands down. You can find all the spare parts all over the place. A good place to start is the Shotgun News. They almost always have advertisers selling AK parts. Some parts for Mini-14s are available, but, firing pins-which are vulnerable-are not. Except for after market parts. I plan to order 2 Glend made Mini-14 firing pins. Then I will have complete faith in my Mini.
However, I still believe that the AK is the best “first choice” tactical firearm.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a mini and "couple" of aks. I must say I just really enjoy shooting the mini. If I'm assembling a group of rifles to take to the range, more often than not, the mini is in there. I do love AKs and there will generally be at least one of them going too.
Maybe it's just because they get rotated and I have only 1 mini, it seems that I just end up shooting it a lot.

As far as a go time gun, depending on the situation, I would probably grab either an AR or a FAL.

#3 ·
Hi Dario,

Just to be sure we are on the same page:

Mini-14 Range: 300 Meters.
AK Range: 300 Meters.

Capacity: Same.

Reliability: Edge to AK

Magazine design: Edge to AK

Lethality: Same.

Ergonomics: Mini-14.

Sights: Edge to Mini-14.

With all of that being said, the real decision between the two boils down to the purpose.

Need to clean out a swarm of Zombies or Blue-Helmets? AK!

Need to defend yourself, and get some game on the table? Mini-14!

Since you have both, there is no real issue.

My opinion is that the Mini suffers from accuracy issues under sustained fire. Magazines have always been a crap shoot. And spares are always an issue with Ruger made firearms.

Still, I would be just as happy with a Mini as an AK. And in all likelihood, carrying the Mini might just save my life. Mostly due to my avoiding issues.

I love to hate the Mini, just as much as I love to hate the AK. The magazine issue is the most difficult in my mind. I live in Kalifornia, so I have no experience with the new generation of Mags. I sold my Mini's due to that reason.

Regards,

#5 ·
no contest--AK!

the AKM was designed to be durable and reliable. to withstand the most difficult conditions imagined in a mechanized war spanning most of the globe.

from 50-f below zero to 120f in the jungle, in mud, the desert, in swamps

the soviet union wasn't 'playing " when they started cranking ak-47 and AKM out by the millions.

the mini on the other hand was built to fit a market demand. it about sales. what it looks like.

the AKM is a ugly device and it is all business too.

#6 ·
From what I have learned, neither the Mini nor the AK are target guns. But, for protection, either should suffice. I like the Mini better, but, I think that the AK may stand up to heavy use longer. I do not know that from experience.
I appreciate all of your comments.
Bellson, you did give me some food for thought!

#7 ·
CHEVY vs. FORD - DISCUSS

Yeah you can't realistically make an apples:apples comparison. Both have good, both have bad. Just choose your poison and understand the pros/cons of each. ;)

#11 ·
the AK can be accurate -- you have to compromise a little when your trying to crank them out by the millions for under $50 each-- LOL

the mini can also be accurate. though they certainly ain't KNOWN for their accuracy.

that would be a good shoot off for some gun rag AK vs mini--

mini is going to win cause ruger buys lots of ads--LOL!

#16 ·
I have an issue with the Mini, wonder if any else has this problem. I have fired it with some ammo of questionable pedigree, that is to say probably corrosive. On one occasion, I did not clean it for a day or so and the gas port fused itself to the op rod. I had to use a dead blow hammer to free it. It seems that on the blued Minis this part seems very prone to corrosion and that caused these pieces to seize up with one another. This seems to be a bit of a flaw as compared to the chromed gas piston system of the AK

#18 ·
Well,

This is an older thread. But I will throw in my $0.02. Just Because...

I have owned both, in large numbers. I like both, and I have no axe to grind.

My thoughts:

Mini-14 or Mini-30:
Bad Magazine design / Execution. I have had mags just fall out. If Mini's were built to the same tolerances as M-14 rifles, this would not exist.
No enough MEAT on the Receiver to Barrel Mate-up. A key to accuracy is to mate up the barrel to the receiver in such a way that there is zero movement. The mini and the AK suffer from this...Lot's of wobble. NOTE: this statement does not refer to Milled AKs. They are the best.
Sights are just awful. Ruger should have made sights that would work out to 300 yards.
Gas system is not all it could be. Clean one once, and you will know what I am talking about. Fail to clean it once and you will really know.

AK - NOT MILLED

Wiggly and wobbly when fired. Yes, every shot goes bang, and every bullet goes downrange. But, hitting an 18" target can get dicey at 300 yards or more. Some AKs are better than others. And, the issues are easily fixed with a thicker, stiffer receiver shell. I had a Hungarian SA-85 that was (literally) hit or miss at 300 yards. I also had an MAK-90 that was just fine and could hold 6" groups at 300 yards. Only real difference was the Hungarian has a 1mm receiver shell, and the MAK-90 has a 1.6mm Receiver shell...

Sights are crap. Just crap. They work, in much the same way an 81mm Mortar sight works.

End result. AK goes BANG. Mini has issues. Mini is more accurate. AK more robust. Mini must be cleaned every 200-300 rounds. AK can go 1000+ rounds before you knot up a boot lace and soak it in dirty motor oil to clean it with.

At the end of the day, both rifles remain very true to their intended purpose.

just sayin.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.