Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ruger's "Target Rifle" Mini-14

Feedback Score

Default Ruger's "Target Rifle" Mini-14

I am looking in the Ruger catalog at the different models of Mini-14 that they offer. Most look like workaday models that serve a purpose. I like them.
    However, Ruger does offer two "Target" models. They come with a device called a "Harmonic Barrel Tuner." Supposedly you can tune this device to make the gun more accurate. To me it is just something more to go wrong! Also, the weight of these 2 "Target Rifles" is approximately 1.5 to 2.5 pounds heavier. They also cost a couple hundred dollars more. I personally see NO use for these rifles! I don't need a tactical gun that can shoot a gnat through his eye at 100 yards.
    I prefer the regular models. They are lighter and handier and don't need special attention. I believe that the Mini-14s accuracy is sufficient for my needs just as it comes. I may have to try different kinds of ammunition to get the best accuracy with it, but that is also true of the target models.
    If I want to target shoot with the .223/5.56, I can find a bolt action for far less money than the target Minis.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

if ruger could make a "straight" barrel they wouldn't need all that snake BS oil to get one to shoot straight.

prices are coming back "normalish" for the ar-15.

with the ar-15 you can have the cake and eat it too as far as accuracy and light and handy goes.

a barrel swap is as straight forward as turning a nut, bolts, carriers, firing pins, buffers and so on just drop in.

cheap good mags still abound.

now i like the design of the mini, it could have been the US "AK" had they not cut corners everywhere. i could probably make a mini do everything an ar can do but it would be a lot more PITA and work. and the parts selection or lack there of is another problem.

do one barrel change on a mini and then do one on an ar-15 and call me in the morning--LOL!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking double fire

the double fires gonna get me kicked out of the range!

Feedback Score

If I had it to do over again, I would now have two ARs and plenty of mags for them. But, years ago I bought my first Mini-14.It has always worked fine. A few years back I bought another because the AR was higher priced at the time. So, now I have what I have and am going to keep them. Fortunately an AK47 lives here, too. I think I will grab it first! But, I don't apologize; I do like the Mini-14.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Check the 2nd pic at this site. I hear good things about these guns, altho pricey. Rifle Accuracy Systems Inc Custom Accurate Rifles Barrel Conversions Ruger Mini Remington 700 7400 750 AR10 AR15
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

what was that rubber ball things people were putting on thir minis to improve accuracy?

looked like a rubber toy ball with a hole in it?

i would try that first before a dumped a ton of $$$ into a mini.

if i had a mini today this is what i would do.

#1 cut the barrel back to 16.25 -- for myself i would probably cut it back to 14.5" and double blind pin it--

#2 get a good crown

#3 thread the barrel for 1/2-28

#4 get a heavy ar-15 slip over flash hider and install it --

i think this would improve the accuracy a bit and ya wouldn't be out much green-- $$$

Feedback Score

I don't think that I will make any changes to my Minis. If they work with whatever I feed them (and I haven't tested everything) then I will leave them as they are. Both are stainless steel with synthetic stocks. One is the "pencil barrel" type and the other is today's model. The older one has a Ramline stock, the newer one ha the one from the factory. I got to get out and do some shooting tofind out how they function. I have shot the older one and it fired 100%. So, any changes I make will be done only if necessary.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

. I personally see NO use for these rifles! I don't need a tactical gun that can shoot a gnat through his eye at 100 yards.
    IMO a 223 that wont shoot under 1' MOA is worthless an id expect 1/2 moa . Try hittng a praire dog at 500 yards with one or even a coyote . lots of guys shoot 223 on varmint an they need to be accurate . I have 223,s so I can shoot little targets between the eyes . A 223 that dont shoot good just sucks .

extra weight in the barrel keeps it cooler longer an also reduces recoil something thats really important if you want to see impacts .

Id rather have a gun that hits something than one that scares stuff away .,

Rugers biggest problem original was there barrels were supplied by the lowest bidder an there to expensive for what you get .
    A mini 14 can be made to shoot well but a original one especially a older one that shoots accurate are few an far between .

tunners are used on all sorts of guns . Browning has had the BOSS system for years an I think some winchesters even use it. There proven an they work especialy if you dont hand load an tune your ammo tot he gun .

Bench rest guys have been using them for years.

I can do anything with my AK i built in 223 so I dont screw with Rugers. I know a few guys who have them an most have sold them an replaced them with AR,s

I was a huge ranch rifle fan until I shot one.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

. I personally see NO use for these rifles! I don't need a tactical gun that can shoot a gnat through his eye at 100 yards.
    IMO a 223 that wont shoot under 1' MOA is worthless an id expect 1/2 moa . Try hittng a praire dog at 500 yards with one or even a coyote . lots of guys shoot 223 on varmint an they need to be accurate . I have 223,s so I can shoot little targets between the eyes . A 223 that dont shoot good just sucks .

extra weight in the barrel keeps it cooler longer an also reduces recoil something thats really important if you want to see impacts .

Id rather have a gun that hits something than one that scares stuff away .,

Rugers biggest problem original was there barrels were supplied by the lowest bidder an there to expensive for what you get .
    A mini 14 can be made to shoot well but a original one especially a older one that shoots accurate are few an far between .

tunners are used on all sorts of guns . Browning has had the BOSS system for years an I think some winchesters even use it. There proven an they work especialy if you dont hand load an tune your ammo tot he gun .

Bench rest guys have been using them for years.

I can do anything with my AK i built in 223 so I dont screw with Rugers. I know a few guys who have them an most have sold them an replaced them with AR,s

I was a huge ranch rifle fan until I shot one.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Saying "target Mini 14 " is kinda like saying "I just ran over a smooth bump!!!!!

Going to take some doing to bring them into the "Target" realm, even though the mini 30 I used to have wasn't to bad. There no target gun,, by any stretch of the imagination!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.