Thread: Flash suppressor on a Mini-14?

Feedback Score

Default Flash suppressor on a Mini-14?

I notice that Ruger offers a "Tactical" Mini-15. The main thing that I notice is that it is equipped with a muzzle break/flash suppressor. Is this realy a necessity on any gun that fires the .223/5.56? I don't notice any really bad recoil. But, I do notice the ear-splitting muzzle blast. Of course, now that my hearing is bad, I always use ear muffs and/or plugs when I shoot. I recommend that to every shooter-every time!
    And, I think the flash would only be a problem in the darkness. And, I don't know how much of that I will do. So, I think I will use my Mini-no flash suppressor-just as it came from the factory.
    Any differing opinions?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Is it a muzzle brake of flash suppressor?
    I have a 185 series GB model that came from the factory with a flash suppressor so I am familiar with them, but I've never seen a Ruger muzzle brake.
    Chances are that my flash suppressor is never going to be needed and a muzzle brake on a S/A 5.56 is not exactly required equipment in my book. So I wouldn't be too concerned with not having either of them.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

way back yonder there were some slip over and pin on FH for the mini. i had a couple on one or two of the minis i had.

they wern't worth squat cause they would slip around on there, the damn pins kept backing out and other problems.

i can't recall what the GBs had though i think they had 1/2-28 threaded similar to a m-16.

the idea behind the flash hider on the mini ain't to hide flash or be a break. it is to hang enough weight at the muzzle to reduce barrel whip at the muzzle end and dampen some of the out of control barrel harmonics the mini is known for.--

a really heavy flash hider might improve accuracy provided it is securely attached. and installing a flash hider is much less of a problem than changing a barrel on the mini.

during ww2 most US rifles and carbines came without breaks or flash hiders.

i figure this was because of the war time production speed had to be increased for d-day.

if they had had a little more time to machine the parts they probably would have come with FH/breaks installed.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

It's a flash hider
    Ruger Mini-14 Tactical Rifle Autoloading Rifle Models

For the question about a brake being useful on a 223, it mainly depends on barrel length, and the only real advantage is to keep the muzzle climb to a minimum, as mentioned recoil is nothing with this round.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.