Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Re-building a 580 series

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

To the naysayers...I have had three minis, 1 I bought NIB, two I rebuilt from barreled receivers. All three were dead on accurate, and they never once gave me any problems. One was stolen, one I sold for way more than I had in it, and 1 I gave to one of my sons upon graduating college. He still shoots it regularly. And these were earlier 181+ models. I hear that the 580's and above are an overall better gun as far as accuracy goes. Now, I know of all the stories of mini's that wouldn't shoot inside of 5" or more at 100 yds, I just have never experianced that. And hope I never do! They are no AR, but hell I got 5 of those, and no mini. The thing that gets me is the price of new ones. No way would I pay that.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Well, I don't quite know what to think about Ruger. They called yesterday and said they would rather send me a new gun the same model free of charge. That's cool, only I like to "rescue" guns that no one wants anymore. I may just sell this new one when it gets here. I don't know yet. Sense of pride in rebuilding something I guess. Wont be able to say that about this one.
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Just curious while looking for parts did you hit gunbroker, gunparts ( numrich) google, e-bay, gunboards, midway, brownells, etc
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by mtdew View Post
    Well, I don't quite know what to think about Ruger. They called yesterday and said they would rather send me a new gun the same model free of charge. That's cool, only I like to "rescue" guns that no one wants anymore. I may just sell this new one when it gets here. I don't know yet. Sense of pride in rebuilding something I guess. Wont be able to say that about this one.
    Just what did you send to Ruger?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

hell yea-- i going to grab a few out of the trash dumpster at the dept of corrections and call ruger myself--just to piss um off--LOL!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sprat View Post
    Just curious while looking for parts did you hit gunbroker, gunparts ( numrich) google, e-bay, gunboards, midway, brownells, etc
    Yes, I found many parts at Brownells, Numrich, Midway.
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Just what did you send to Ruger?
    A 580 series Mini that was missing bolt, trigger, secondary sear, and hammer. These are the parts that Ruger wont sell to anyone, including FFL. They want to fit them at the factory. The rifle was in excellent shape. I just don't see how its cost effective to send me a new gun.
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'm kinda weird I guess. I didn't WANT a mini. I just thought it would be a fun project. The last one I rebuilt and sent to ruger for the restricted parts I sold it for $450. I had $200 in it. The one before that I gave to my son. I had about $400 in this one before sending it to ruger. Now I'm getting a brand new one from ruger that I'm not really interested in. My wife said she might want it. She's welcome to it.
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mtdew View Post
    A 580 series Mini that was missing bolt, trigger, secondary sear, and hammer. These are the parts that Ruger wont sell to anyone, including FFL. They want to fit them at the factory. The rifle was in excellent shape. I just don't see how its cost effective to send me a new gun.
    Production line gun with high profit margin, versus hand fitted parts and time in their "skilled trades" gunsmith and repair section?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I had a mini 14 from me 80's? I think factory folder factory 20 rd mags.cool rifle.got an under fold ak in trade. Mini wasn't bad but cheap ammo was better at the time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.