Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Re-building a 580 series

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Re-building a 580 series

Last week I went into a gun shop in Little Rock and they had another 5 gal bucket of mini 14 barreled receivers that were used and abused by ADC and sold at auction. I have re-built 2 of these in the past but they were 180+ series, $50. I saw that these were 580 series so I bought one, $100. So in gathering the parts at brownells, midway, and numrich I saw I was about to hit $300 worth of parts so I decided to see what these 580's cost new. I was shocked. Some were advertised as high as $899! So I will have $400 in a nice used gun. Not to bad, not too good. I still need to get the parts in, assemble, and send it to Ruger for the bolt, hammer, trigger, secoundary sear. They wont even sell these parts to FFL. Good news is they do it for free, even pay return shipping! At least I hope they will still do it for free. We shall see...
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

rots or ruck with ruger--

i sort of like the mini-- people think i hate them --hell i'm just sharing the results of the three or four of um i've had over the years.

i figure you could probably overcome the niggly little issues with it IF you could get parts- good parts.

ruger is the american taurus when it comes to parts.

i do like the design of the minis-- i wish some body else would make the parts for it, better steel in certain areas would help a bunch.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mtdew View Post
    I still need to get the parts in, assemble, and send it to Ruger for the bolt, hammer, trigger, secoundary sear. They wont even sell these parts to FFL. Good news is they do it for free, even pay return shipping! At least I hope they will still do it for free. We shall see...
    These guys sell complete trigger groups. About 3/4s of the way down the page. Mini 14 Accessories Ruger Rifle 30 Muzzle Brake Gas Block Compensator Steel Bedding System Not cheap though

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    rots or ruck with ruger--

i sort of like the mini-- people think i hate them --hell i'm just sharing the results of the three or four of um i've had over the years.

i figure you could probably overcome the niggly little issues with it IF you could get parts- good parts.

ruger is the american taurus when it comes to parts.

i do like the design of the minis-- i wish some body else would make the parts for it, better steel in certain areas would help a bunch.
    Right on the money J427! Better Steel, and good parts availability would change a lot about the Mini-14. Sadly, even if at $400, it does not compete favorably with the AR...
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

I wonder when the patent runs out? I see that the 10-22's are now cloned with great reviews. I might just order one from SOG.
    Maybe the mini's are not far behind.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

deleted... post came up in wrong thread?
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score

I have had good luck acquiring bulk parts from Gunjoker. Sellers TJonesoutdoors and WideBuffalo have cut my cost when trying to get the parts for a complete build when I had a receiver, frame or even a cut frame. Think both have a line on police confiscation weapons. Use to be a guy that would hit the Houston Fun Shows that would sell cut firearms that were confiscations, sure do miss his deals!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrock View Post
    I wonder when the patent runs out? I see that the 10-22's are now cloned with great reviews. I might just order one from SOG.
    Maybe the mini's are not far behind.
    Do you remember the AMT copies of the Ruger 10-22s and Mark 2 pistols about 30 years ago. They were called Lighting. Why did they stop?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

KT ordinance used to carry Mark 1 80% frames

willie I thought i bought a sig 228 police cutup kit from that guy is Texas
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

No sig but a couple of SS S&Ws 4506&639. American Derringer SS in 45ACP and some other junk. Stainless steel welds so purdy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.