Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast

Thread: A Reminder of Why You Can't and Don't Want to Convert Your AK to full Auto.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by DonW View Post

Well,thats exactly what you are in store for. I do not understand why the distributors of the Romy G kits included most FA parts in their kits?

I,for one immediately tossed mine in the trash,once I realized once they were!!!!!!!-Only thing missing was the FA disconnector.The whole deal sounds like a TRAP to me.-Thats why I'm having a FFL,builder etc.) put together mine for me.,,,

I didnt even now about that dissconector mod people would do intentionally. That is so stupid it wouldnt cross my stupid.

I saw LA police det. testifing that conversion to full auto are very rare, conversion of AK even rarer. He mention 50000 weapons confiscated in his career, not one converted. (it is on u tube under "truth abouth assault weapons" me think)
    It require serious machine work to the receiver.
    Because of that AK full auto parts that are included with kits are not that "sensitive" as certain AR parts.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Wow -- this is a 4 year old thread.

The full auto issue. Except it's really not an issue, at least not here.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score

I agree 100% with the consensus of this thread...

The truth of the matter is that ANY semi-auto firearm can be converted to fully-automatic. It just takes time, machining, and materials. Even then, it's not really worth it (for all the reasons stated here)...

But this thread is right... It's not so easy to PROPERLY convert an AK to full auto! You need an auto sear & spring, an auto disconnector & spring, a hammer retarder & spring, a selector switch, and a bolt carrier with the part which trips the auto sear.

Also, A LOT of people forget to mention the Hammer Retarder which allows time for the auto sear to engage the hammer, and to keep the hammer from riding the underside of the bolt carrier (and causing binding / cycling problems) as the carrier is returning to battery.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

In 1986, listened to a talk show on an AM radio. They announced this was the LAST WEEK to register a fully automatic weapon. I had a RUGER 10-22 leaning against the wall and one of them 50 round EAGLE mags. At that time I never thought I would want something that could shoot faster than that thing would. I could drop a 50 round box of ammo through that gun in less than a minute at the outdoor firing range.

I think that gun is still fun to shoot. Along with all of the others I have now.

I just wish my mind was set more on investment back then than on long legged skinny girls. I could have registered a few receiver tubes then. I would be set up well now!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by iNuhBaD View Post

But this thread is right... It's not so easy to PROPERLY convert an AK to full auto! You need an auto sear & spring, an auto disconnector & spring, a hammer retarder & spring, a selector switch, and a bolt carrier with the part which trips the auto sear.

Back in the 90's the parts were readily available from C-III dealers for $ 25 or 50 bucks ....

and in took a $ 10 book to give you the proper drill bit sizes and placement of the holes ...

easily accomplished with a dial caliper

the drilling the rail for the disconnecter ....

then welding a bump on the bolt carrier or buying a FA one .....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by iNuhBaD View Post
    Also, A LOT of people forget to mention the Hammer Retarder which allows time for the auto sear to engage the hammer, and to keep the hammer from riding the underside of the bolt carrier (and causing binding / cycling problems) as the carrier is returning to battery.
    The hammer retarder was an "improvement" made after they converted from milled to stamped construction. Millions of AKs came from the factory without one and run just fine. Since all it does is slightly delay the hammer fall AFTER the auto sear releases the hammer it affects the actual auto sear operation not at all. There are a few theories on why it was added, the two most credible ones: it was simply a rate reducer to save on ammo and the other that the flexing of the stamped receiver allowed harmonics to cause bolt carrier bounce, if the hammer was allowed to fall without a short delay the hammer might hit the carrier as it bounced back a bit from full battery and cause a misfire.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

When in doubt go "Full Auto". They estimate it took something like 70,000 rounds to kill an enemy soldier in Nam. Spray and pray. I never could hit a damn thing on full auto.
    If you go to Knob Creek or any other "Legal" places to shoot full auto. Try it laying down. Total waste of ammo.
    I'll take semi over full auto any day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

Its a 250,000.00 fine and 10 years in prison for an unregistered NFA item. Not worth it in any way.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ironhead7544 View Post
    Its a 250,000.00 fine and 10 years in prison for an unregistered NFA item. Not worth it in any way.
    I have a real problem with blatant exaggerations. First off its real easy to convert an AK to full auto. Machine work ??? Any moron with a $50 drilling template, a drill and dremel could do it in under an hour with a full AK de-milled part set. Half a dozen places sell them that I know of on the web. You can still even get drop in AR-15 pre 81 auto sears for an AR-15 on the internet or through SGN ads. How the hell they get away with that I don't know. And Romy's not having the disconnecter? WTF is that ? I couldn't believe it when I saw that. I don't know how many parts kits Ive handled over the years and I had never seen a kit that didn't have all the parts. The shit KVAR used to sell . Man, they'd throw in 3 round burst packs and drop in full auto trigger groups. I cant tell you how many complete brand new full auto fire control sets Ive thrown in the garbage. Even parts kit de-mills. The romys are the only ones where they didn't include everything and thats a recent thing too. 7-8 years ago you got the whole package and theres was better Romanian stuff available then too. short gas tubes and carriers, one piece gas blocks , funky flash suppressors etc. The stuff now is all pedestrian national guard stuff.

As far as the fine and jail part. Have you ever known anyone who went to jail for NFA violations? Ive known a few. One got two years for selling an illegal machine gun to an undercover ATF agent. Paid $10,000 fine. The other also sold one to an undercover agent and had 60+ firearms in his home when he was raided in addition to grenade launchers, explosives and grenades. A lot of the guns were illegal machine guns and in any case he was a convicted felon so all the guns were illegal for him to own. He got 8 years. Another guy had 40 lbs of weed in his trunk and an unregistered SBR. He got 4 years. Did 2 . Feds didn't even bother to prosecute on the weapons charge even though he had crossed state lines to deliver the cargo.

Yes its all illegal and yes they will prosecute most of the time but throwing around that 10 year thing like its the gospel isnt right.

And to that cop who's seized 50,000 or whatever it was guns and never seen a converted AK....I don't know f they still do it but USA Today used to print a full page ad on the back page of forfeitures and seizures from the ATF. It was single spaced and packed with forfeited and seized machine guns and other NFA banned items that police agencies had turned in. By law they have to post them to see if anyone steps forward to claim them before they got destroyed and of course no one was going to do that but it was thousands a week. That cop just want paying attention.

Feedback Score

Excellent post.Safety should be paramount to ALL shooters.when one person does something stupid,we all look bad,not to mention the people who care for you that are affected by your "accident"that will probably occur.
    XMAN

Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.