Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: A Reminder of Why You Can't and Don't Want to Convert Your AK to full Auto.

Feedback Score

It is sad that the folks with money are the ones that can get a legal transferable FA weapon. I strongly believe that ANYONE that has the background check should be allowed to own a fully automatic firearm, from the stand point that we should have weapons that are used by combat troops to our disposal. Price keeps many from buying a FA, and sometimes state regulations curtail this. Wonder how this will work when the Second Amendment is found to be state to state wide and not just in D.C. in the up coming SCOTUS decisions?

I also believe that one should always have ability to have or build a sound suppressor. It is ecologically better, it's less annoying to neighbors, and since the inception of the NFA on that silencer only 2 people have been killed with suppressors illegally. I also would advocate a suppressor for a deer hunting rifle. Would keep you from giving away your position and would be easier on your ear drums. Perhaps if there were a way to eliminate some of the emissions of the powder burn one could put on a suppressor to keep the air clean?

All in all I believe in full auto weapons, just not illegal ones and dangerous ones tinkered with at home. Leave it to a professional gunsmith that has knowledge of such things. I also believe in suppressors and would love to enact legislature to remove that outdated law from the books.
    Cheers!
    Vern
    http://taurus45acp.com My website, and has links of interest, NRA-ILA feed and profile.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth AkSarBen View Post
    It is sad that the folks with money are the ones that can get a legal transferable FA weapon. I strongly believe that ANYONE that has the background check should be allowed to own a fully automatic firearm, from the stand point that we should have weapons that are used by combat troops to our disposal. Price keeps many from buying a FA, and sometimes state regulations curtail this. Wonder how this will work when the Second Amendment is found to be state to state wide and not just in D.C. in the up coming SCOTUS decisions?

I also believe that one should always have ability to have or build a sound suppressor. It is ecologically better, it's less annoying to neighbors, and since the inception of the NFA on that silencer only 2 people have been killed with suppressors illegally. I also would advocate a suppressor for a deer hunting rifle. Would keep you from giving away your position and would be easier on your ear drums. Perhaps if there were a way to eliminate some of the emissions of the powder burn one could put on a suppressor to keep the air clean?

All in all I believe in full auto weapons, just not illegal ones and dangerous ones tinkered with at home. Leave it to a professional gunsmith that has knowledge of such things. I also believe in suppressors and would love to enact legislature to remove that outdated law from the books.

Silencers are legal in most states. Approval to buy or build is easy to get. $200 tax isnt that much any more. I'll have to count sometime but I think I'm up to 8 of them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Any tips om build sites or plans to build legal silencers. I assume each one has a unique s/n. What system is easyist for home builders to use to s/n ?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

legal silencers are tax paid and leo signed off.

A piece can count as the whole. It's my understanding that Paperwork is first.

There is a good site but I lost the link when my other machine went down.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Gunco Member Tru-South Outfitters's Avatar
    Feedback Score

When I was in the military (Navy) we had M-14's (man how I love 'em). My instructor told us right off the bat, " I know all of you want to shoot this full auto, but let me show you why you don't want to". Each one of us shot it full auto and could not hit the broad side of a barn with any sort of accuracy or ability, just wasting ammo. Once we were done, he asked an interesting question. "How many of you would still be alive with adequate ammo for a possible second attack after being in a firefight where you shot full auto and didn't hit anything?" Answer... none. When your life depends on finite numbers of lead hitting enough targets to where the other targets lose thier nerve, break camp, and regroup for another day, full auto kind of goes out the window with Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tru-South Outfitters View Post
    When I was in the military (Navy) we had M-14's (man how I love 'em). My instructor told us right off the bat, " I know all of you want to shoot this full auto, but let me show you why you don't want to". Each one of us shot it full auto and could not hit the broad side of a barn with any sort of accuracy or ability, just wasting ammo. Once we were done, he asked an interesting question. "How many of you would still be alive with adequate ammo for a possible second attack after being in a firefight where you shot full auto and didn't hit anything?" Answer... none. When your life depends on finite numbers of lead hitting enough targets to where the other targets lose thier nerve, break camp, and regroup for another day, full auto kind of goes out the window with Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy.
    Just like anything else, you have to train to use full auto (or burst fire) effectively and know when to use it and when not to use it. It's not that full auto is inherently inaccurate, because I guarantee if you had a bipod and some support while firing small bursts, your accuracy would increase dramatically.

That said, regardless of how wildly inaccurate full auto can be... It's still great fun.

Mark

Feedback Score

True, Markp. Some rifles are better designed for full auto firing. The new HK 416 ( ref: Heckler & Koch HK416 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) can shoot very well under full auto, and keep right on firing because the bolt does not get gas bled on it and neither does it get hot. I've seen it fire and it baffles me that it is not adapted over the more jam prone M4. Piston driven system. It is designed to take the action straight back upon firing. It is alway inherently more accurate to fire semi -auto and make clean placement shots as opposed to full auto. However, as I said, some calibers, such as 7.62 NATO and 7.62 x 39 Soviet do not lend themselves well to full auto. It was the difficulty of the FN FAL in 7.62 x 51. My .308 Saiga would have a similar problem.
    Cheers!
    Vern
    http://taurus45acp.com My website, and has links of interest, NRA-ILA feed and profile.

Feedback Score

Any ak can be made to fire FA
    During WW1 the 1903 Springfield Bolt action rifle was converted to fire full auto.
    Is it worth going to jail for?
    Those that would give up essential liberty in pursuit of a little temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

That depends... If you are a prohibited person, the penalty for having a full auto weapon is the same as having any firearm. Where is the incentive for criminals not to own machine guns?

Don't think so? Prohibited persons are not subject to the NFA, see US v. Haynes. Requiring criminals to register their full automatic weapons violates their 5th amendment rights. Sure, they are still subject to the CGA of 1968 but there is no material difference of violating 922(g) regardless of the type of firearm involved.

Mark

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tru-South Outfitters View Post
    On the money. Yup. When people are shooting at you, only John Wayne, and those guys they pin medals on stand up.
    Lay down, take your full auto with your arms outstretched and see how good you hit your target.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.