Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: A Reminder of Why You Can't and Don't Want to Convert Your AK to full Auto.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

get one of the tapco type retainers instead of the shepards hook or c clips. for $10 this makes assembling the trigger group really easy and i have never nor have i heard any one having a retaining pin problem on a semi auto ak

Gunco Member mmercer@bmtmed.com's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

When an AK is manufactured in semi-auto only, the little lug on the bolt carrier that trips any full-auto lever is machined off. Plus, the hammer on a semi-auto only AK is machined not to allow that little trip lever to fit under the front of it; not to mention the fact that the receiver does not have the extra hole required for that trip lever to be installed.

I've rebuilt a number of AK's recently and nowhere did I ever hear of the need to change the bolt carrier. Ive used all 922 compliant parts (Nodak Spud receivers) and fire control group but kept the original bolt carrier.

Is this a problem?
    Last edited by mmercer@bmtmed.com; 05-26-2010 at 02:01 PM.
    "If you're 20 and not liberal you have no heart. If you're 40 and not conservative you have no brain"

Winston Churchill

Feedback Score

Most use the original carrier, same with FALs, and just about any other rifle. You'll be fine.

Gunco Member mmercer@bmtmed.com's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by [486] View Post
    Most use the original carrier, same with FALs, and just about any other rifle. You'll be fine.

Thanks
    "If you're 20 and not liberal you have no heart. If you're 40 and not conservative you have no brain"

Winston Churchill

Feedback Score

Ive had my share of fun, If some one is that interested in shooting ful-autos, They rent them at the by-anual machinegun shoot at KnobCreek gun range. This way You dont get in any trouble. Class 3 weapons are an expensive Hobby. And just as expensive if you do it illegaly.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

With Disney vacations running in excess of 10k, is owning a full auto really "expensive"?

It's all a matter of priorities.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    With Disney vacations running in excess of 10k, is owning a full auto really "expensive"?

It's all a matter of priorities.
    Disney World is exactly 71 miles from my front door. 10k you betcha.
    I was 3k for 4 nights. That was with my Military discount. I got in free.
    Took the Grandniece down and the lady neighbor plus her little girl, my sister, girlfriend and myself.
    Sent everyone out and went too the Don Shula restaurant for a steak.
    "Sir your supposed too wear a tie. I dont own no stinking ties. Now shut the hell up and bring me more wine. With these prices. I should be be hand fed."
    $98 later, I think the food was o.k..
    Yup. Should have bought a full auto.
    You tourists enjoy. None of us locals can afford the place.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    Disney World is exactly 71 miles from my front door. 10k you betcha.
    I was 3k for 4 nights. That was with my Military discount. I got in free.
    Took the Grandniece down and the lady neighbor plus her little girl, my sister, girlfriend and myself.
    Sent everyone out and went too the Don Shula restaurant for a steak.
    "Sir your supposed too wear a tie. I dont own no stinking ties. Now shut the hell up and bring me more wine. With these prices. I should be be hand fed."
    $98 later, I think the food was o.k..
    Yup. Should have bought a full auto.
    You tourists enjoy. None of us locals can afford the place.
    Yep, that's why the disney vacation club is such a good deal. Not 10k for one vacation then.

We can use the points from the vacation club to stay at one of the resorts and then a 4 day "vacation" cost us between $500 and 1k for the family (when we lived in Bama of course ). But that did involve staying in a 1 or 2 bedroom which has a kitchen in it and cooking versus going out for every meal (we would usually do one of the resort restaurants one night of our stay and that was expensive enough). But then again there were a bunch of people there that seemed to eat out every meal - and must not have minded spending the money.
    Of course if I had ten grand of money to blow, instead of a full auto I would rather buy a bunch of semiautos and ammo. I got the full auto bug out of my system years ago when my buddy let me shoot his sten a few times at the range. It was fun, but reloading would be the only cheap(er) way to feed it (factory ammo could get expensive in a hurry). I can have as much fun with a semi auto and not spend as much money on ammo (or in other words have more ammo for more trips to the range). Then again if I ever win it big on the lottery, I might just let the full auto bug bite.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score

Hi, everyone. I'm an old new AK owner - uhhh, meaning I'm 56 years old, and had always been an AR man, looking down at AK's. Sold my last AR 6 yrs ago, got the "Assault Rifle" bug again, and after seeing 2011 prices for AR's decided on a CAI Yugo Underfolder. VERY happy with this weapon...minute of torso accurate, reliable, and as my wonderful wife said"...it looks mean."

As you can guess by my screen name, I'm a cop...a county mounty, not a fed. I live in a state that allows full auto ownership. I have been lucky enough in my 2 careers, (20 yrs USAF SP, 18 yrs LEO) I've gotten to shoot quite a few full auto weapons, from M-16's to M-60's M-2's, Colt 9MM, H&K .40S&W subguns. They're fun, no doubt, but except for bipod or tripod mounted crew served weapons, difficult for most people to handle effectively. I want to reiterate what numerous other posters have said. If you own a civilian semi auto AK/AR/whatever, and want to "convert" to full auto...DON'T! Those nice Feds with the gold badges WILL eventually catch up with you. An illegally coverted and possessed full auto is a gun you can never show anybody, tell anybody about, or shoot, because the only way you can guarantee your freedom is to keep it an absolute secret...and like the saying goes, if more than 1 person knows your secret, it ain't! If you live in 1 of the 39 states that allows ownership, save your coin, apply for the license or permit or whatever you want to call it, and get one. You'll either love it or get tired of the costs and sell it. Good shooting!
    Last edited by IrishCop; 03-09-2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: typos

Feedback Score

I say save your money and dump it into a good gun set-up and training. One well-aimed shot will always be better than 30 wild ones.

Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.