Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: A Reminder of Why You Can't and Don't Want to Convert Your AK to full Auto.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by ZOID ZODIAN
    On a similar subject, those of you who read the above carefully realize that there is nothing to prevent a semi-auto AK from firing out of battery either.
    Dr. Kalashnikov is no dummy. The little "nub" that protrudes from the rear of the bolt carrier, right above the bolt stem hole, is the device that prevents the hammer from being able to touch the firing pin until the bolt is fully closed.

Unless this nub is horribly worn away, the rifle will not fire unless the bolt carrier is fully forward (which is only possible when the bolt is fully locked).

Roger
    "Anything that is complex is not useful and anything that is useful is simple. This has been my whole life's motto." -- Dr. Mikhail T. Kalashnikov

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

That reduces the likelihood of firing out of battery due to premature hammer falling. Slamfires due to a stuck or too long firing pin remain, though even less likely with standard ammo.

Feedback Score

Default REPEAL FA BAN

Folks: We got the sunset of the Clinton Abortion, something we all hoped for and many of us actively worked for. We have majorities on BOTH houses elected in large part because gunowners got out and worked and voted.
    NOW we need a goal... to roll back some laws!
    I suggest we work on repeal of the 1986 Reagan Machine Gun Ban. Yes, this ban on new sales to civilians was a compromise to get us this wonderful influx of surplus weapons, ammo and the Gun Owners Bill of Rights allowing interstate transport of our guns.
    Still I think the time is right to slam Schumer, Boxer, Feinstein and the Clintons with reopened sales of full auto weapons to qualified citizens. There is no reason to deny military small arms to the civil population. There are many good reasons to allow Americans to enjoy the liberty of owning such tools. It will take time, but will keep the anti's on the defensive, too. Personally I never have really wanted a full auto enuff to go thru the trouble of getting one, yet when they were made harder to come by... much more expensive... then I began to think in those terms! Time to strike while the iron is hot..... get the ball rolling just as we have done with concealed carry in many States.. Just a thought, what do you all think?
    Let A Thousand Builders Flourish, Let Ten Thousand Dealers Sell!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Sounds cool to me...
    "It's all over but the cryin'!"Moonshiner

Feedback Score

I'd follow your lead.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Firing more than one round with one pull of the trigger may be fun, but it's not worth being married to a guy covered with tattoos for several years.

My wife doesn't mind that!!!

Great thread. Might help some dope from getting hurt or hurting someone else(not just physically either).

SVT
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DunRanull
    Folks: We got the sunset of the Clinton Abortion, something we all hoped for and many of us actively worked for. We have majorities on BOTH houses elected in large part because gunowners got out and worked and voted.
    NOW we need a goal... to roll back some laws!
    I suggest we work on repeal of the 1986 Reagan Machine Gun Ban. Yes, this ban on new sales to civilians was a compromise to get us this wonderful influx of surplus weapons, ammo and the Gun Owners Bill of Rights allowing interstate transport of our guns.
    Still I think the time is right to slam Schumer, Boxer, Feinstein and the Clintons with reopened sales of full auto weapons to qualified citizens. There is no reason to deny military small arms to the civil population. There are many good reasons to allow Americans to enjoy the liberty of owning such tools. It will take time, but will keep the anti's on the defensive, too. Personally I never have really wanted a full auto enuff to go thru the trouble of getting one, yet when they were made harder to come by... much more expensive... then I began to think in those terms! Time to strike while the iron is hot..... get the ball rolling just as we have done with concealed carry in many States.. Just a thought, what do you all think?
    Let A Thousand Builders Flourish, Let Ten Thousand Dealers Sell!
    Lets start with the Bush 1st Import ban....

Feedback Score

The question really is not whether full-auto is useful. We already know it is--otherwise every cop and soldier would not have access to such weaponry. Whether or not is uses a lot of ammo or whether or not it is useful, the real issue at hand is that we as American citizens are not trusted with the full capabilities of these rifles and instead have to resort to all manner of abortions such as bending our own flats in order to have non-screwed up rifles to shoot. The guns we have are crippled by ridiculous laws and all we do is pretend that that is peachy. It should be legal to import any rifle we want, no parts rules and no bs about semi or full-auto. To even discuss this matter without bringing up this simple fact is pretty much just rationalizing how un-free we are.

Feedback Score

OK...heres one I dont understand...

On an AK the bolt face is fully supported.. I hear all the time how the AK will fire out of battery if you do a conversion and "blow up" in your face.... Lets use some logic for a second here guys...

1) The bolt is fully supported... this means that even IF the hammer DID fall on the FP the FP cant reach the primer until the bolt is fully locked and seated. WHY? Because the round itself is gonna be sitting up on the edge of that bolt face. Until it goes into battery and is pushed past the extractor there is NO way that hammer is gonna hit that firing pin....kinda like fully supported bolt faces on SMG w/fixed FP...

2) IF the hammer follows the bolt home it wouldnt need to have any energy to pop the primer, all you would need is to have the hammer pushing the pin forward...as the bolt locks into battery it would essentially become an open bolt w/a fixed firing pin...

NOW Im not advocating this at all. IT IS STUPID to mod one regardless of it it will run or not, since the legal implications are stupendous... However I have heard stories firsthand from people that are known to be truth tellers that were employed as "operatives" by a large world government in the 1980s verifying that an AK WILL run in this manner. Apparently the government agency they worked for had taught them all some method to expediently convert any AK to FA in the field for a SHTF-I have no rifle- type scenarios...

Anyway, without going into conversions can someone that is a "GURU" and in the know on this subject prove to me why #1 and #2 above arent true... I cant see for the life of me HOW an AK can actually FIRE out of battery w/out a non-supported bolt face...

THANKS

Roswell UFO survivor ZOID ZODIAN's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jpglee1
    OK...heres one I dont understand...

On an AK the bolt face is fully supported.. I hear all the time how the AK will fire out of battery if you do a conversion and "blow up" in your face.... Lets use some logic for a second here guys...

1) The bolt is fully supported... this means that even IF the hammer DID fall on the FP the FP cant reach the primer until the bolt is fully locked and seated. WHY? Because the round itself is gonna be sitting up on the edge of that bolt face. Until it goes into battery and is pushed past the extractor there is NO way that hammer is gonna hit that firing pin....kinda like fully supported bolt faces on SMG w/fixed FP...

2) IF the hammer follows the bolt home it wouldnt need to have any energy to pop the primer, all you would need is to have the hammer pushing the pin forward...as the bolt locks into battery it would essentially become an open bolt w/a fixed firing pin...

NOW Im not advocating this at all. IT IS STUPID to mod one regardless of it it will run or not, since the legal implications are stupendous... However I have heard stories firsthand from people that are known to be truth tellers that were employed as "operatives" by a large world government in the 1980s verifying that an AK WILL run in this manner. Apparently the government agency they worked for had taught them all some method to expediently convert any AK to FA in the field for a SHTF-I have no rifle- type scenarios...

Anyway, without going into conversions can someone that is a "GURU" and in the know on this subject prove to me why #1 and #2 above arent true... I cant see for the life of me HOW an AK can actually FIRE out of battery w/out a non-supported bolt face...

THANKS
    Your reasoning is sound; however, keep in mind that if "slam-firing" on full-auto were not a problem, then the Russians would not have added the hammer retarder device to the AKM to keep it from firing out of battery due to excessive bolt carrier bounce. That is, the firing pin must be capable of hitting the primer or this would not have been a problem.

In guns that have been illegally modified so that the disconnector doesn't do its job, i.e., the hammer follows the bolt forward, I am told that the guns simply don't fire MOST OF THE TIME. Part of the time, though, they evidently DO fire, and potentially on full auto.

IIRC, one of the guns confiscated from Diesel had been modified in such a way.

But let's muddy the waters a little:

If ya JUST GOTTA have as close to full auto as you can get, try this:

A three-round burst is about the best use of full-auto.

Now, a double tap is almost a three-round burst, and is legal. (By double tap, I mean two quick manual pulls of the trigger: no mechanical double-firing).

Why not just have a gunsmith either install a custom fire control group or modify the existing one to allow hair-trigger double taps with a lightning fast reset?

This way you can stay legal and still have a reasonable, safe simulation of full auto.

Whattaya think?
    Last edited by ZOID ZODIAN; 03-31-2005 at 11:11 PM.

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.