Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Thread: A Reminder of Why You Can't and Don't Want to Convert Your AK to full Auto.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by ZOID ZODIAN
    These internet Assault Weapons discussion boards invariably attract newbies or gun-owners with a little bit of warped enthusiasm who just can't get it out of their heads how neat it would be to convert their AK to full auto.

In discussions with people I meet, who are invariably new to guns, I keep hearing how easy it is to convert your AK to full auto by filing on this or that part.

The AK-47 action is not "timed" . We all know about revolvers, and how they are "timed" so that the round is not fired until the cylinder has locked on a fresh chamber, and the chamber is lined up properly.

A full-auto AK-47 has an extra lever just forward of the hammer that holds the hammer back until the bolt is fully closed and locked. It also prevents the hammer from falling unless the round is fully seated in the chamber. This is to prevent the gun from firing "out of battery", and possibly blowing pieces of the firearm into your face. Because the AK action is not "timed", the hammer could very well fall too soon without this lever holding the hammer back until tripped by the bolt carrier.

When an AK is manufactured in semi-auto only, the little lug on the bolt carrier that trips any full-auto lever is machined off. Plus, the hammer on a semi-auto only AK is machined not to allow that little trip lever to fit under the front of it; not to mention the fact that the receiver does not have the extra hole required for that trip lever to be installed.

Sometimes, manufacturers of semi-auto only AK's also machine off a little tab on the rear of the disconnector, and the corresponding tab on the safety lever that pushes the disconnector out of the way so it doesn't grab the hammer on a full-auto gun.

I have a full auto that was converted by the monkeys at century to be semi only. It still has some full auto parts in it starting with the bolt, carrier and hammer. All they did was remove the auto disconnector, FILE the notch in the hammer but they left the pin that holds the disconnector there to reinforce the reciever though. As far as I can tell, it only consists of the hammer, sear and trigger. No disconnector here (thats the extra 'lever' in front of the hammer which times the hammer release in auto).
    You know there is a way to file the hammer to make it into semi-auto only. I looked at the picture of one in 'SUBMACHINE GUN DESIGNER'S HANDBOOK' . You have a very good point though about them firing out of battery without the required parts. Whether its legal or not makes no difference if you have no hand to hold it or eyes to look down the sights.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by AK76239

also, id like to point out, if someone really wants a full auto, they WILL get it, even if its a felony. so this post is useless, as people who want them will ignore this post all together.
    Hey, thanks for reminding me to go check up on the paperwork for my new one. I really want one and it will be $4000 for the thing after taxes, fees, paperwork and all that. So I WILL be getting one soon just that it won't be a felony! Btw, Happy thanks giving all .

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 3 WEELIN GEEZER
    I have a full auto that was converted by the monkeys at century to be semi only. It still has some full auto parts in it starting with the bolt, carrier and hammer. All they did was remove the auto disconnector, FILE the notch in the hammer but they left the pin that holds the disconnector there to reinforce the reciever though. As far as I can tell, it only consists of the hammer, sear and trigger. No disconnector here (thats the extra 'lever' in front of the hammer which times the hammer release in auto).
    You know there is a way to file the hammer to make it into semi-auto only. I looked at the picture of one in 'SUBMACHINE GUN DESIGNER'S HANDBOOK' . You have a very good point though about them firing out of battery without the required parts. Whether its legal or not makes no difference if you have no hand to hold it or eyes to look down the sights.
    If you have one of those "converted" full auto AKs that has an elongated pin where the full auto auto sear retaining pin WAS, as well as a small piece of metal tac welded in the side rail to prevent the lever of the auto sear from fitting in, as well as an extra groove cut in to the right side of the receier for the slector lever, you have an unlawful weapon that was recall by the ATF some years ago. The ATF has a ruling that basically states "once a machine gun, always a machine gun" my advice turn it in, especially since you hae now annouced to the community you hae it.
    Last edited by Chiroone; 11-23-2006 at 10:15 PM.
    Nemo ME Impune Lacessit
    Manus sapiens potens est
    пиштоли не убиваат луѓе, тие само го прават тоа полесно

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 3 WEELIN GEEZER

What does the full auto bolt have that a semi-automatic bolt doesn't have?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1ak2b
    What does the full auto bolt have that a semi-automatic bolt doesn't have?
    There is no difference in the bolt itself. However, the bolt carrier has a little metal "nub" in the right rear which trips the safety sear (auto sear) in full auto mode.

Without the safety sear (the goodie which rides on the evil third pin), the nub is useless and doesn't touch anything.

Actually, it would be nice if we all had the safety sear, because it prevents the hammer from falling unless the bolt carrier is fully forward (a nice safety feature).

Unfortunately though, the safety sear also places the AK one small step away from full auto (you only need hold back and disable the disconnector).

Therefore, the safety sear is a big no-no. In fact, the mere presence of the third HOLE makes the weapon illegal.

Of course, as said earlier, those people who have already done it or plan to do it don't talk about it in public.

Roger
    "Anything that is complex is not useful and anything that is useful is simple. This has been my whole life's motto." -- Dr. Mikhail T. Kalashnikov

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I'd like to point out here that it's almost impossible to make an AK fire out of battery even if you were to remove the disconnector. The father of our hobby designed his rifle so well that this is very unlikely. The tang on the rear of the bolt-carrier will always prevent the hammer from striking the firing pin until the bolt is fully locked in battery. Try this with your AK without any ammo. You'll see that the released hammer will ride the back of the bolt-carrier as it slides forward, but the tang on the back is just long enough to hold the hammer away from from the rear of the bolt. When the bolt-carrier reaches the front trunnion the bolt rotates into battery, and then the bolt-carrier advances a half-centimeter or so with the bolt fully locked in battery until it gets far enough forward to release the now-spent hammer to drop lightly onto the firing pin.

Usually it doesn't have enough strength left in the hammer spring to detonate the round. It simply dents the primer, making the round unstable and dangerous. Sometimes, though it will detonate the round, but this is uncommon.

The only way I've found to make the round detonate out of battery is to jam the firing pin in the bolt, so it's locked forward. In this condition it can detonate the round when it first contacts it. Even in this circumstance, though the round will probably just burn rather than detonate.

Now I'm not trying to say that illegal mods to your AK aren't dangerous. It's just that the danger isn't likely to come from your AK. It's more likely to come from the guy who rapes you every day in prison.

Stay legal. Stay safe.
    * This is My Rifle *

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Mods, THis needs to be a sticky at the top of every board.
    Freedom is not free. Some will perish to preserve it for the many. Just as our Forefathers did before us, we must take up the battle and not waver. Victory is our only option.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Who needs FULL-AUTO when you can bump fire

I burn up enough ammo the allready, if I went FULL-AUTO I would be in the poor house.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AKarl_12
    Who needs FULL-AUTO when you can bump fire

I burn up enough ammo the allready, if I went FULL-AUTO I would be in the poor house.
    Ain't that the truth. Last weekend I went through about 700 rounds of 5.45mm and 400 rounds of 7.62mm. I was bumping my Yugo M70B1 and my Tantal. A group of guys shooting a full-auto Uzi came over to see how my "full-auto" AKs felt. They were pretty disappointed to hear that they were semi-auto. They were also amazed to hear that all that firing was coming from a semi-auto AK.
    * This is My Rifle *

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by my-rifle
    Ain't that the truth. Last weekend I went through about 700 rounds of 5.45mm and 400 rounds of 7.62mm. I was bumping my Yugo M70B1 and my Tantal. A group of guys shooting a full-auto Uzi came over to see how my "full-auto" AKs felt. They were pretty disappointed to hear that they were semi-auto. They were also amazed to hear that all that firing was coming from a semi-auto AK.
    +1 I love screwing with peoples head at the range!

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.