Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Green moutan barrel blank (7.62x39)

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    Its says AK profile so Im not sure what that is going to be. I hope it is over size. Ill post when I get it. mine was $36 shipped. Im a little unsuure why there so cheap as well. I want to build a target set up but with a 311 bore so i can also shoot surplus ammo with out the pressure increase. 20" is fine with me it will add about 150 or more FPS. I wonder how long they will have them?? I almost called them today.
    From what I saw it is not profiled in any way at all and is a full 1" down the whole barrel length.

Here's a pic of what it looks like if you don't have access to a lathe then it is going to be hard to use.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

got mine today its a unprofiled unturned blank in hopefully a 311 bore ( I havent slughed it but sticking a bullet down in id say its close. its saw cut on bolth ends. Ill have to get it in the lathe and turn it on centers to see how consintric it is. but for $36 dollars shipped it will make a barrel for any AK as long as its under 30" it looks just like the picture above

when i get time ill chamber it and make sure its true to the centers and if it is ill turn the trunion end to 23 mm and leave the rest large and crown it and do a bull barrel target barrel with out gas port or GB and see how well it can shoot. the out side is a smooth black. looks like one inch rod with a hole in it. hope fully it will be fairly consentric.

IMOO the ads says profled and to me that means even if its straight it should be turned on centers. if its a straight or tapered or steped profile it should have been turned. this should be a advertised as a .311 20"x1" OD unturned blank with the correct twist rate given. Im not going to biuth as its what I really wanted but I can see how others will be disipointed. If it shoots i may get a few more to set up as plug and play target barrels for sale. Id like to be able to buy other calibur blanks like this for that price. a 5.45 for instance woud be nice as well as a 223 and .308. Id but a bunch of 6.5mm" blanks as well for that price.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

the twist rate is fast. I really dont get the reason for the Ak,s using such a fast twist unless the equipmint was left over form doing Mosin barrels and they just never changed it. its even fast for a 150 grain bullet IMOO. 30-06 and 308 use mostly 1-10 as well as most other 30 caliburs that normay shoot 150 grain bullets they use 1-10 because they also shoot up to 200 grain bullets as well. in all but a supressed application a bullet over 150 is pretty much pointless in a AK as its just to damm slow. if good bullets are used its fine as overstabelising will not affect a consentric bullet as much but if the bullets are out of spec a little then that high rate of spin will hurt accuracy.

a couple good links here about twist rates and using a to fast of a rate.

Barrel Twist vs. Bullet Weight

30BR Guide - 30 BR Benchrest Lapua Cartridge with Reloading, .308 Bullet, Accuracy, and Competition Info

Barrel FAQ -- Barrel Velocities, Lengths, Twist Rate, Contours, Cleaning, Accuracy and Ballistics for Benchrest, Hunting, Precision Shooting

I have a 30 BR barrel in 1-17 that I plan on rechambering to .308x39 some time and see how it does.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

1biggun, does the barrel have a mark on it at either end to tell you which end is the chamber end?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

1biggun, does the barrel have a mark on it at either end to tell you which end is the chamber end?
    NOPE none that I could find. Ill likey face off each end and wahat ever end swallows the the bullet the most will be the breach. Im not sure what else to do? I cant tell if one side of the rifleing is sharper than the other or any thing like that. Im looking for suggestions. I might call them and have a few words with them.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

My .50 cal Green Mountain barrel has a noticeable burr on the muzzle end, which is also a bit smaller than the chamber end.

I don't have enough experience with blanks to know how common this sort of thing is. The bore was nice and shiny, so I decided to ignore it and continue.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

on mine the burr end is a bit bigger. I im sure it makes a differance and Id like to know how to tell. the barrel is saw cut on both ends so Im sure it was cut. from a longer blank

Im guessing the burrs are were the tooling was pulled out of the barrel but I dont know if that the muzzel or the breach end. Im thinking you would want the bullet going the directionthe tooling was but I have no reall reasoning oter than any burrs or ruff ness would be pointing to the exit of the tooling. I think I need to call them and ask WTF.

This would make a really cool looking bull barrel gun maybe add a intrigal break like magna porting although I doubt there would be much of a kick with this heavy of a barrel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    the twist rate is fast. I really dont get the reason for the Ak,s using such a fast twist unless the equipmint was left over form doing Mosin barrels and they just never changed it. its even fast for a 150 grain bullet IMOO. 30-06 and 308 use mostly 1-10 as well as most other 30 caliburs that normay shoot 150 grain bullets they use 1-10 because they also shoot up to 200 grain bullets as well. in all but a supressed application a bullet over 150 is pretty much pointless in a AK as its just to damm slow. if good bullets are used its fine as overstabelising will not affect a consentric bullet as much but if the bullets are out of spec a little then that high rate of spin will hurt accuracy.

a couple good links here about twist rates and using a to fast of a rate.

Barrel Twist vs. Bullet Weight

30BR Guide - 30 BR Benchrest Lapua Cartridge with Reloading, .308 Bullet, Accuracy, and Competition Info

Barrel FAQ -- Barrel Velocities, Lengths, Twist Rate, Contours, Cleaning, Accuracy and Ballistics for Benchrest, Hunting, Precision Shooting

I have a 30 BR barrel in 1-17 that I plan on rechambering to .308x39 some time and see how it does.
    This has been on my mind as well. If there is a good reason for the fast twist in the AK, I would like to know it. The big queston is how much better would an AK in 7.62x39 shoot with say a 1:15 barrel using the standard 120-130 gr bullets? I'm not a benchrest shooter but if I could hit things at long range with the AK that I could not before that would bring a smile to my face.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 20nickels View Post
    This has been on my mind as well. If there is a good reason for the fast twist in the AK, I would like to know it. The big queston is how much better would an AK in 7.62x39 shoot with say a 1:15 barrel using the standard 120-130 gr bullets? I'm not a benchrest shooter but if I could hit things at long range with the AK that I could not before that would bring a smile to my face.

Good reason? The M91 Mosin Nagant used that twist and the Russians didnt see any reason to change it.

Accuracy with the 1:10 twist has shown to be great if good ammo is used and a little trigger work is done. The sights are the biggest limiting factor. Put those sights on a bench rest rifle and use 10 cent a round crap surplus ammo and it will shoot like shit too.

Feedback Score

Bumping this on up. There current description is
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Mountain View Post
    Gunsmith Edition 20" AK Barrel Blank,1" diameter x 20",7.62 x 39mm, 1:9.5 twist, 4140 button rifled, thermo stress relieved, air gaged AK barrel ready to be milled and chambered for custom projects.
    They weren't open today and won't be open on Monday. So I will give them a call on Tuesday. I will be asking about longer barrel blanks, they have them since they are making the 23.2" long rpl barrels. I will also ask them if they intend to offer a different rate of twist, though I wouldn't count on it.

Did just notice they are listing a 17.5" 9mm barrel blank. 9mm Button Rifled Barrel Balnk, 1.20" x 17.5"

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.