Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Green moutan barrel blank (7.62x39)

Feedback Score

Default Green moutan barrel blank (7.62x39)

Well Green Mountain Is listing an "AK" barrel blank now. Just though I would let you you know. Gunsmith Edition 20" AK Barrel Blank

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I just ordered one. I really wish it was not profiled. I rather be able to keep it heavy for a target build. wish they would also sell one unchambered.

I will stick it on a AMD 65 kit and see how it works. the price is right I see its cut rifleing.

Im sure for $30 it will be top quality LOL. I may rechamber it using my reamer see what I get first.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'm having a hard time understanding why they're so cheap.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by steve10 View Post
    I'm having a hard time understanding why they're so cheap.

I have a hard time understanding why other barrels are so expensive. 5 minutes of CNC time if that on that barrel. Only $5 shipping too. I don't know why they are charging sales tax though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I guess I'll pull the trigger then. Worst comes to worst it's only 35 bucks.

I can't say I'm enthused that it's 20 inches, but beggars can't be choosers.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

You'll have to machine the barrel anyway. Its not machined for size externally.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by chipmechanic View Post
    I have a hard time understanding why other barrels are so expensive. 5 minutes of CNC time if that on that barrel. Only $5 shipping too. I don't know why they are charging sales tax though.
    I would guess that the major cost is the time and machinery overhead to do the accurate deep-hole boring, and then straightening of the barrel. Read these:

Barrel Making - The Art and Science
    Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Articles: The Making of a Rifle Barrel

Plus, if you can find it, Harold Hoffman's books show in great detail the equipment and processes used for rifle barrel making. The equipment overhead is large, and if you have a DIY rifle boring / rifling setup, the time is not inconsequential. Profiling - that's easy. As you said, a few minutes in a CNC lathe. But that's after you have a barrel that's bored straight and accurately, rifled, and straightened and stress-relieved.
    Q - What is Bambi?

A - Viable Target

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

You'll have to machine the barrel anyway. Its not machined for size externally.
    Its says AK profile so Im not sure what that is going to be. I hope it is over size. Ill post when I get it. mine was $36 shipped. Im a little unsuure why there so cheap as well. I want to build a target set up but with a 311 bore so i can also shoot surplus ammo with out the pressure increase. 20" is fine with me it will add about 150 or more FPS. I wonder how long they will have them?? I almost called them today.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    I just ordered one. I really wish it was not profiled. I rather be able to keep it heavy for a target build. wish they would also sell one unchambered.

I will stick it on a AMD 65 kit and see how it works. the price is right I see its cut rifleing.

Im sure for $30 it will be top quality LOL. I may rechamber it using my reamer see what I get first.
    Agree with everything except that it's cut rifling. Button rifling is listed by Green Mountain, and that is not cut rifling, but rather is a type of cold forming where metal is not removed, but rather displaced.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

I bought one too. Wasnt planning on building another AK but this might change my plans. Never know what will come in the mail Still trying to figure out why they charged sales tax and what state its going to.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.