Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New AK Builder in Central Florida

Feedback Score

Default New AK Builder in Central Florida

Hi everyone. I just got into the AK realm and decided to buy a kit to try putting one together. Problem is I think I may have done this backwards... I bought the M64 kit. This AK is of the milled receiver variety. I have spent several weeks going over all the build threads and VERY informative tutorials. I gathered that the milled receiver will be a much tougher task than just bending a flat and drilling holes on it.

I just wanted to know if there are any active AK builders in the Central Florida area to share some of your wisdom and building knowledge. I consider myself fairly handy, but I have never tackled anything like this. I am considering if I should I buy a stamped kit to acquire some know-how before I dive into the milled receiver business. The tutorials I have seen are great and I think I can pull it off, but I want to avoid ruining a good build on account of ignorance. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by cgaudin69; 01-25-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Feedback Score

buy a couple cut receivers (m64) from APEX fit pieces together best way swaping them around, weld it up. this is easier than messing with a flat for 1st bulld, an average welder can do this.
    Oh and welcome

Feedback Score

Rapidrus, I appreciate the reply. I was already thinking along the same lines and have already bought 4 cut up receivers from APEX. This should give me plenty of "good" metal portions to work with. If I'm lucky and there's enough meat remaining on the receiver leftovers, I might be stupid enough to try a second kit, provided I'm successful with the first, of course. I think this is gonna be a lot of fun. I just hope I don't get silly like some of you guys out there and build an arsenal.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cgaudin69 View Post
    Rapidrus, I appreciate the reply. I was already thinking along the same lines and have already bought 4 cut up receivers from APEX. This should give me plenty of "good" metal portions to work with. If I'm lucky and there's enough meat remaining on the receiver leftovers, I might be stupid enough to try a second kit, provided I'm successful with the first, of course.
    welcome aboard
    i might suggest looking at nico's weld jobs for inspiration he is a master of these sort of things he is a member here and produces some beautiful work
    and from what i believe he does tutorials you might want to see if you can hook up with him and get the ball rolling
    god luck

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by earnie View Post
    welcome aboard
    i might suggest looking at nico's weld jobs for inspiration he is a master of these sort of things he is a member here and produces some beautiful work
    and from what i believe he does tutorials you might want to see if you can hook up with him and get the ball rolling
    god luck
    Earnie, before I even bought my M64 kit I read, re-read, and read again Nicoroshi's, Rahatlakhoom's, VZ58's, and a few other's amazing tutorials on welding milled receivers. I have one AK I bought at the local gun shop and I was so taken by this rifle that I started reading more and more on it. Then I went to a gun show and put my hands on a nice Polish milled receiver rifle. The difference on the action is so huge, and the fact that everyone agrees that a milled rifle is inherently more accurate and stronger than any stamped variety, I figured this is the way to go. The barrel that came w the kit looks good so it should be a decent shooter provided the builder doesn't foul things up...Actually, it was Rahatlakhoom's tutorial that inspired me to take on the M64. He did a magnificent job. American ingenuity never ceases to amaze me. You guys are true craftsmen. I know there is plenty of knowledge, talent, and experience in this forum and I thank you all in advance for the help and advice.

Feedback Score

looks like youve done some research
    I would not take the screwed in barrel out
    your gonna hav to take underfolder off, pins drive out bottom
    use your cover for correct length ,not to tight
    pay attention to both sets of rails the rest is cosmetic
    I have a 64 its the 1 that got me hooked
    good luck

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by rapidrus View Post
    looks like youve done some research
    I would not take the screwed in barrel out
    your gonna hav to take underfolder off, pins drive out bottom
    use your cover for correct length ,not to tight
    pay attention to both sets of rails the rest is cosmetic
    I have a 64 its the 1 that got me hooked
    good luck
    You're scaring me, man. I don't want this to be some disease that'll take me to the poor house. I've always been a dabbler, so after a couple of builds, the fever will go away... I hope.

One question that may sound elementary but, is headspacing necessary if the barrel is not moved? I'm not clear on that one. Thx.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Talking Sorry.. Your already hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by cgaudin69 View Post
    You're scaring me, man. I don't want this to be some disease that'll take me to the poor house. I've always been a dabbler, so after a couple of builds, the fever will go away... I hope.

One question that may sound elementary but, is headspacing necessary if the barrel is not moved? I'm not clear on that one. Thx.
    Where you be in Central Florida. I am in Astor. 40 miles west of the ocean and Daytona, in the Ocala National forest and swamps.
    Members from our forum and others in this A.O.. I cant answer your question on milled headspacing. I just send mine too ProjectGuns.
    I have tools and stuff sitting here if you need some help. You build, I will help yah. Welcome too the forum.
    I dont bend flats and we start drinking beer about 3 p.m...
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

no it dose not have to be reset
    some people are gonna say check it
    but mine was good

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    Where you be in Central Florida. I am in Astor. 40 miles west of the ocean and Daytona, in the Ocala National forest and swamps.
    Members from our forum and others in this A.O.. I cant answer your question on milled headspacing. I just send mine too ProjectGuns.
    I have tools and stuff sitting here if you need some help. You build, I will help yah. Welcome too the forum.
    I dont bend flats and we start drinking beer about 3 p.m...

I live in Orlando. I actually do most of my rifle shooting out in the woods in the Ocala Nat Forest about 10 miles north of Umatilla off Route 19. I don't generally go during December due to the hunting going on. I don't like to disturb the guys out there but I do burn a lot of ammo out there with my son on weekends. If you know about AK's, I'd be happy to look you guys up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.