Gunco Forums banner

New AK Builder in Central Florida

4K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  4thIDvet 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. I just got into the AK realm and decided to buy a kit to try putting one together. Problem is I think I may have done this backwards... I bought the M64 kit. This AK is of the milled receiver variety. I have spent several weeks going over all the build threads and VERY informative tutorials. I gathered that the milled receiver will be a much tougher task than just bending a flat and drilling holes on it.

I just wanted to know if there are any active AK builders in the Central Florida area to share some of your wisdom and building knowledge. I consider myself fairly handy, but I have never tackled anything like this. I am considering if I should I buy a stamped kit to acquire some know-how before I dive into the milled receiver business. The tutorials I have seen are great and I think I can pull it off, but I want to avoid ruining a good build on account of ignorance. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
Rapidrus, I appreciate the reply. I was already thinking along the same lines and have already bought 4 cut up receivers from APEX. This should give me plenty of "good" metal portions to work with. If I'm lucky and there's enough meat remaining on the receiver leftovers, I might be stupid enough to try a second kit, provided I'm successful with the first, of course. I think this is gonna be a lot of fun. I just hope I don't get silly like some of you guys out there and build an arsenal.

#4 ·
Rapidrus, I appreciate the reply. I was already thinking along the same lines and have already bought 4 cut up receivers from APEX. This should give me plenty of "good" metal portions to work with. If I'm lucky and there's enough meat remaining on the receiver leftovers, I might be stupid enough to try a second kit, provided I'm successful with the first, of course.
welcome aboard
i might suggest looking at nico's weld jobs for inspiration he is a master of these sort of things he is a member here and produces some beautiful work
and from what i believe he does tutorials you might want to see if you can hook up with him and get the ball rolling
god luck

#6 ·
looks like youve done some research
I would not take the screwed in barrel out
your gonna hav to take underfolder off, pins drive out bottom
use your cover for correct length ,not to tight
pay attention to both sets of rails the rest is cosmetic
I have a 64 its the 1 that got me hooked
good luck

#7 ·
You're scaring me, man. I don't want this to be some disease that'll take me to the poor house. I've always been a dabbler, so after a couple of builds, the fever will go away... I hope.

One question that may sound elementary but, is headspacing necessary if the barrel is not moved? I'm not clear on that one. Thx.

#12 ·
Where you Hunt & shoot is only about 18 to 20 miles from Fourth's CP. He's just up the road a ways. Watch Tim though, he's liable to chain you down and not let you leave until
you tried some of his Devils Brew and partake in some venison. His welcome mat is always
out for Gunco members.

#18 ·
It is unlawful to knowingly discharge a firearm in any public place, or on the right of way of any paved public road, highway or street or over any road, highway, street or occupied building, except in defense of life or property, in performance of official duties or where expressly approved for hunting.
What Are the Gun Laws in Florida?

O.K. can't find the new law they passed.. At that it is kind of up too the L.O. who shows up..
We are on a private road, not county maintained.. When the kids are in school and the coast is clear.. We shoot in the swamp across the road..
Aim low in the mud. If some neighbor, not many around gets upset, they call the law..
Sheriff showed up the other day and told us to build a back stop and fire away..
Technically it is legal to shoot on private land, or in the National Forest..
Common sense must prevail.. Aim low, have a back stop..
Poaching, people are hungry, oh the Law will show up..
When they do, most of them are decent guys.. Talk nice, they usually let you shoot or ask you to stop..
Key here is stay away from paved public roads.

#19 ·
I just finished my first build which turned out pretty good. Learned a lot and I'm lookin forward to the next one. I live in Winter Springs, just north of Orlando and would love to help out any one (or get advice) with a build. Just let me know. And yeah, I'll be headin' up to Astor and parts north to do a bit 'o shootin'!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.