Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: new Polish blanks

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mtdew View Post
    What we need is a rockwell hardness tester. There was one were I worked years ago but that place is out of business. It was simple to use. Stick the metal in, pop it with the spring loaded puncher and read how deep it punched. I am probably over simplifeing it as I never operated it. I wonder if anyone in town has one. I have one of the Copes blanks to test. I'll look into it.

I am not going to completely let the cat outa the bag, but I just sold a Rockwell Hardness Tester to another Gunco member who is attempting to start up a side business heat treating these blanks for people. I think it's a fantastic idea, since they are not an FFL item. Gives all us homebuilders access to a higher quality standard, that only a handful of guys have had access to in the past. I know that some folks have the equipment/procedures for a full heat treat, but I bet 98% of the homebuilders that bend their own flats don't. This will be a good thing for the entire community. I wish him well, and hope that he gets his process dialed in soon, and starts an "open for business" thread.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

One version is reported to be dead soft, most likely requiring more than just the axis pin holes and ejector to be hardened. It also apparently has a sanded finish making refinishing a little more difficult. The difference is easy to spot, the Sportsman guide (and some other vendors) does not have the chicken feet.
    THE SANDED X39 BENT FLAT I HAVE HAS A CHICKEN FOOT.
    IM NMOT SURE WERE IT CAME FROM AS IT WAS SENT TO MY BY A MEAMBER .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I am not going to completely let the cat outa the bag, but I just sold a Rockwell Hardness Tester to another Gunco member who is attempting to start up a side business heat treating these blanks for people. I think it's a fantastic idea, since they are not an FFL item. Gives all us homebuilders access to a higher quality standard, that only a handful of guys have had access to in the past. I know that some folks have the equipment/procedures for a full heat treat, but I bet 98% of the homebuilders that bend their own flats don't. This will be a good thing for the entire community. I wish him well, and hope that he gets his process dialed in soon, and starts an "open for business" thread.
    THAT WOULD BE GREAT. I HAVE A FEW OTHER THINGS ID LIKE TEMPERED INCLUDING HOME MADE BENT UNDRILLED FLATS IN HEAVIER METAL..

KEEP IN MIND THEY NEED TO BE TEMPERED BEFORE ANY WORK IS DONT TO THEM OR THE ATF MIGHT GET YOU .

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendican View Post
    Thats awesome. I also have things I would also like heat treated. I began test fitting the "blank" I have last nite, havent drilled holes yet, so may hold off to get heat treated. The front and rear trunions slid right in, perfect fit. So I ordered 2 more. I have a homemade "forge" but no real way to do it right exept eyeball the color and quench, temper in oven. Works great but I'm leary of doing a reciever.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

here are some pics of the differant bent blanks an there differances

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f3/inter...l?=#post683512

Feedback Score

The one without the Y stamp for the third axis pin hole looks to be cut for a milled receiver double hook trigger and have the "drain holes" for the bending jig pins. Those just look like American-made flats that have been bent. Are the other ones already fully hardened? The imported lower bolt rails come fully hardened.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by allesennogwat View Post
    The one without the Y stamp for the third axis pin hole looks to be cut for a milled receiver double hook trigger and have the "drain holes" for the bending jig pins. Those just look like American-made flats that have been bent.
    possible explanation for that. LOL. Caption from that pic

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62x39 View Post
    Here is a comparison of a bent blank from Copes and a flat from akbuilder that I have bent.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62x39 View Post
    possible explanation for that. LOL. Caption from that pic
    Ah I see now. I'm working with a small screen. What is the difference in the two Polish types? One is soft and the other is hardened? One has the X and Y stamps and the other one doesn't? Poland is not using American-made 4130 steel. The technical manual calls for, "steel 50" which is basically the same as 1050 steel.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

We are still trying to figure out exactly how many different versions of these blanks are being sold right now. There appears to be at least 3.
    We know that the ones that copes and akbuilder are selling are good. They appear to be the same material as the flats we've been using.
    Some of the other vendors are selling ones made of questionable material. We are trying to determine who is selling what. I'm just going to play it safe and stick with the copes/AKB versions

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I corrected my original reply to this thread. According to an email confirmation I just found, my bent Polish blank is from AK-Builder and has both chicken feet and a brushed finish - not smooth like the flats he sells.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.