Thread: price check on getting a AK built?

Feedback Score

Default price check on getting a AK built?

just curious what legal AK builders are getting to build say a matching romy g kit with barrel. You supply the 922 parts, rivets, polish 80% reciever. Ive got a kit and since these things arent all that cheap anymore. The more I think about it, Im wondering if it would be better to just send it out and have it professionally built. Im sure others out there have kits stashed and never actually built it. The guy I bought this kit from had another matching kit but he drilled the rivets out and almost punched through the chamber. Im not that careless, but I dont have the proper rivet crusher ( I do have a bolt cutter) but reading how some folks have issues getting the rivets crushed right the first few times, headspaced etc. jim

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

$10,000,000,000 or there abouts,,,just for parts,,

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Jim...

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f259/bar...-piston-32831/

Restorit is one who can build it for you.. Their are others here, be damned if I can remember their names..
    Just my .02.. I would go with the 100% receiver and let them do the whole 9 yards..
    twa is not far off on the prices these days.. That smart ass..
    You will not need and FFL on the trip too the builder, if their is no receiver involved.. Just parts..
    Coming back you would need a local FFL to accept it on your transfer back too you..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

restoreit1 is not a FFL as far as I know. No building.
    Likely in the $350 -$400 range for the build and finish by a FFL smith. The 80% could make the price higher based on extra work and heat treat etc.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The 80% "not a receiver" might raise issues unless the FFL has an 07 manufacturing FFL. Technically he would be the one manufacturing the receiver, but as a sub-contractor for you using your materials. Normally with a 100% receiver that would be OK for a regular gunsmith to do, but I haven't seen any rulings or letters on the 80% blank issue.

In any event, he would charge more for the receiver work alone than a Nodak would cost.

Feedback Score

I do not believe a gunsmith can assemble an AK for another individual nor create/manufacture a receiver from a blank without a FFL. He can assemble parts on a barrel etc., but not a receivered rifle or make a receiver for sale or services from a flat or shell.
    Last edited by akblue; 03-10-2013 at 10:02 PM.

Feedback Score

I was just curious what a regular class 07 FFL charges, I sent my PSL kit to Iron clad armory to have built and I thought it was very reasonable. Thier website shows they build AK's for 300 bucks on your kit and reciever. I was just curious if thats about the going rate. jim

Feedback Score

I have a type 07 FFL. I am planing on get into doing Ak47 builds with the help of a friend. I can tell you the requirements. Any time I add value to a gun it is considered to be manufacturing by the ATF. If I blue a barrel for a gun it is adding value and I have to report it as a build. On a parts build the receiver must have the name of my company, city where built, the cal., and a serial number. I do not know what the going price is here, but I would say around $200 to 300 hundred.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.