Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: AK 47 WASR 10" 7.62x39 to 223

Feedback Score

Dunno., in general barrels are relatively soft. I'm not sure that US barrels are heat treated at all and simply button rifles from alloy steel stock barrel blanks.
    Hammer forged barrels tend to be harder from the process. Yugo barrels seem softer that hammer forged Romanian and others.

Feedback Score

Ground the hammer a little, will shoot this morning to see if it fixed the firing problem. It need a bullet guide but I can't even figure out how it would go in. There isn't anything in there now.

Feedback Score

The bullet guide is missing?

Feedback Score

Yep, trunion to barrel, nothing I would call a bullet guide. It still won't fire the rounds. The ones that go bang have a nice dent in the primer, the ones that don't go bang have a little tiny dint or no dent at all, just a mark on the primer. I've cleaned the bolt and firing pin, and ground a little off the upper part of the hammer to keep it from bottoming out on the bolt above the firing pin. Nothing works.

Feedback Score

IMG_0284.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_0288.JPGHere are a couple of pictures of the magazine, trunion and the breach. Four rounds, one on the right that fired, deep impact on primer, other thee did not fire, second from right tried twice two small dints third and forth round barely marked. Ammo factory Remington PMP. Also had a box of reloaded 5.56 thad were resized and reloaded 233 same results.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

in picture two it appears that there is a bullet guide, its flat, suppose to be flat without a better pic its hard to tell

funky primer hits
    the primer on the far left looks like its because of a overtight headspace and the two in the middle look about right, but you say they were hit a second time, sounds like the bolt and carrier are not going to battery everytime or when it feels like it
    the left one is a little strike bolt not going far enough???

if you take off the recoil spring and work the bolt does the bolt and carrier progress without any stoppages or heavy rubbing?? , does the bolt lock up fully??

I would not do to much filing till you work this out or take it apart

or take Big guns advice and not shoot it
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

i beleive bi gun is right, I'm just determined to find out what is keeping it from firing. The go-no-go guages from Brownell seemed to say the go- no gospaces were ok although a little tight. When I drop one of the missfired rounds in the bolt ejector and let the bolt into the groove it does not rotate down like it should, so I'm guessing the go is too tight. So that would indicate a barrel removal and reheadspace. Now that is just what I wanted to do. That is going to bge so much fun it should be illegal. Thanks guys, you have been great help, I was thinking the missfires were from to much headspace.
    Sprat, you are right there is a bullet guide in there, I thought a bullet guide should direct the bullet to the barrel opening. I can't see what this one even does, is it the right one or is it a 7.62 guide? The bolt runs smooth since I took a little off the hammer. Before bolt would drag on the hammer.
    I have had it appart ecept the barrel and trunion which is all welded to the receiver.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

take a good picture of in front of the barrel.

so your saying its tight on the head space?

Is the hammer spring Ok an not broken or installed wrong been heated up by some idiot when it was demilled ? If your getting primer strikes an the bolts are rotated in it should go bang .

take a good picture of the fcg as well. unless the bolt is hittin ght tang on the trunion or some really weird thing it shoud shoot .

Id dam sure wear safety classes .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

is the firing pin protusion ok an is it free in the bolt ?

btw if the head space is a little tight that's ok as long as the round chambers an the bolt rotates in it should shoot . the carrier should be touching the trunion on the LH side when its ready to fire .

as far as feeding is the mag lips up against the under side of the rails ? does the mag have up an down play ? what mag is it ? if you got a Galil mag its going to hang to low on a Rommy 223 trunion. take pictures of every thing you got .

are you certain the spring is in correctly ? if the pin is ok an has enough protrusion an not rusted in an the hammer spring is good an installed correctly an the round chambers an the carrier hits the trunion an the hammer hits the pin squarely it will go bang.

how many mags do you have ?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

the bullet guide appears nornal if the pic is correct, a 223 guide would look the same but thicker, while most 5.45 guides have two notches on either side, but 223 rounds will feed with 5.45 bullet guides

ok seems it is a headspace problem, I also bet that bolt needs a lite filing or a stone on the lugs, it should fit in and out by hand without the carrier and with the carrier
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.