Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: AK 47 WASR 10" 7.62x39 to 223

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    almost all AKs have lh threads the weiger is an exception . some cugir 223,s had 1/2 rh htreads.

the 223 is a odd ball in the ak world there is no standard every country did there own thing as far as mags an other stuff.

you should get a 223 or 5.45 recvier if your going to build a 223.. the ejectr tip needs to be longer than a 7.62x39 recvier .
    I can only find 7.62x39 receivers, the only 5.45 receivers I find are for the ak74.
    I am thinking with all the hassles building a 223, maybe I'll rebuild to a 7.62x39.
    I am getting an AR15 for the 223 and the more I read about the 308 the more I like it. I have to replace the receiver and barrel anyway and a 7.65 bolt face doesn't look hard to come by. Would there be anything else I would need?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

you can use a 5.45 receiver or 7.62 rails to make a 223 the ejector needs to be trimmed and re-heat treated with a map torch
    the only diffence in a 7.62 or 5.45 or 223 receiver is the mag opening and the tip of the ejector
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

The trigger guard came off easy, tapped the inside rivet ends with a nail set and a hammer and they popped right out. Looks like they were too short and only swelled in the hole to hold them on. had to grind a little on the back one. The welds holding the trunnions wre because the holes didn"t match up. Going to make it tough to drill out the rivet holes with them half full of slag, oh well thats when the fun starts.
    Are Nodak Spud premium receivers OK? I read some comments on a tapco G2 trigger set that you couldn't use them on "NoDak Spud economy receivers". I intend to order the NDS-1 EZ 100% receiver. I am sure I could buy $300++ to get all the tools and not come up with anything as good as these for 1/3 the cost.

Feedback Score

Unhappy

Finished demilling my ak, gas lock, rear sight and front site were not pinned or drilled, the gas block was just pressed on, the barrel pin pressed out easy, the barrel pressed out easy and is a 22 mm barrel. Does that mean I have an AK74 trunnion? That's not good because I just ordered a 7.62x39 receiver. Should I get that changed? The one on to begin with was a 7.62x39 which is maybe why things did not line up and were welded. I am totally confused.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I think the Saiga 223 models are built on AK74 receivers & trunnions
    And yes, I think you should get a hold of the place you ordered the receiver from and see if you can get it switched
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    I think the Saiga 223 models are built on AK74 receivers & trunnions
    And yes, I think you should get a hold of the place you ordered the receiver from and see if you can get it switched
    Thanks Coils, got it changed to a NODAKSPUD 5.45x39 NDS-2EZ. They were very helpful and agreed with you on the dif receiver. No 223 barrels to be found.
    There was one with a 23mm trunnion I could get turned down, I have a friend that is a good millwright. he has an amazing shop. No gunsmith stuff though.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by lscheibenberger View Post
    Thanks Coils, got it changed to a NODAKSPUD 5.45x39 NDS-2EZ. They were very helpful and agreed with you on the dif receiver. No 223 barrels to be found.
    There was one with a 23mm trunnion I could get turned down, I have a friend that is a good millwright. he has an amazing shop. No gunsmith stuff though.
    I hope all my parts will work with this receiver but I can't find anything anywhere saying it won't.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

The 22mm barrel & trunnion is correct, this is what the 74s also use.

(guessing) By piecing the info together that you gave, I think everything you have is correct other then the 7.62 receiver and the poor way it was put together.
    I think just by changing out the receiver will get you a functioning rifle.

For now, just sit back and relax (or start a new project) until you get the new receiver.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    The 22mm barrel & trunnion is correct, this is what the 74s also use.

(guessing) By piecing the info together that you gave, I think everything you have is correct other then the 7.62 receiver and the poor way it was put together.
    I think just by changing out the receiver will get you a functioning rifle.

For now, just sit back and relax (or start a new project) until you get the new receiver.
    The more research I do the more it looks like a late ak74 build. The gas block is the late one with the hole drilled straight down with the gas block off. the hand guard retainer and spring are a 74 design also, I have not figured out yet what the bullet guide is. I took some better pictures.
    I don't think the barrel was ever used, everything on it was like they are shipped. The pin holes were never drilled, just starter holes. the gasblock was just pressed on over the hole predrilled, not pinned, thats why everything was welded, except the gas block, i would guess just an oversight.
    There is no sign the middle two holes in the Trunnion were ever drilled. Once i cleaned of the little dab of weld it was clean.
    i think if I can find a barrel I"m going back with the 5.56x45.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

That does look a lot like a 5.56/223 bullet guide, look here and you can click on the pic to see it larger.
    The Largest AK-47/74 Rifle...

So you did confirm that the barrel is 22mm at the chamber?

Is the barrel cut in front of the gas block area? Is it cut or damaged anywhere else?
    I'm asking because I'm trying to think of a use for it

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.