Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lower Rail Rivet Confusion

Feedback Score

Default Lower Rail Rivet Confusion

Can you Rivet in the lower Rails? All I see is folks spot welding them in. I seem not to be able to find much info on Riveting in the rails. Were they originally riveted in?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Rails are normally spot welded.
    Some have bolted and I do recall some have riveted them as well.

I will see if I can find a few threads for you too look over.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

rivet, weld or screw all have held up, it depends on your thought, some want that off the shelf look, others want the functional look and others don't own a welder and if they did, don't know how to weld

its your kit & your build just build it safe and durable
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

Thanks guys

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

kits are expensive at least plug weld then in so it looks good. IMO .

yes you can make a safe functional gun with rivets or screws but its sort of like putting dingle balls on Porsche. It just don't look right .

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Whatamatter biggun, you don't like my dingle balls?!?!?! Lol.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

Gonna go with the Rivets Do not have access to a Spot Welder and we are not going to buy one. My friend already bought the drilling jig and is going to buy the trunion drilling jig. You can only buy so much for tools before it becomes cost prohibitive. My friend has a wire feed but like it was mentioned welding can be tricky if you do not do it all the time.

Feedback Score

I am probably going to rivet them on as well. I have a little mig welder but even with grinding I have a feeling I will booger them if I try to weld. Rivets may not be purist but I feel they look cleaner than screws or a nasty weld.

My first attempt at my from-scratch receiver failed. I used the poor man's jig but I also used flat bar under the jig and long bolts/nuts to help pull the flat through. The bends came out great but the issue was that apparently the 1 1/4" flat stock I used was not a true 1 1/4...its a tad smaller so my trunnions will not sit flush in the channel. I am going to redo it with a new piece of flat steel, but this time I am using a piece of 1 1/4" angle iron(which measures out perfectly) in place of the flat bar that needs to be bolted to the top of the flat. I have everything to get my receiver together, and I'm not frustrated enough yet to just buy a 80% prebent flat

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Gonna go with the Rivets Do not have access to a Spot Welder and we are not going to buy one. My friend already bought the drilling jig and is going to buy the trunion drilling jig. You can only buy so much for tools before it becomes cost prohibitive. My friend has a wire feed but like it was mentioned welding can be tricky if you do not do it all the time.
    ok let me get this straight you guys can afford all these jigs you don't even need to do the job buy you cant afford a cheap wire feed or have some one weld 8 plug welds?
    the welder will work on every thtng the drilling jigs is good for only doing one thing an you don't need it.

I have a little mig welder but even with grinding I have a feeling I will booger them if I try to weld
    you cant drill a few 3/16 holes an stick the wire in the center of the hole an count to 4 or 5 while you move in a small circle an sand a bump down lush with a flap disk on a 4.5" grinder .

Id recommend getting some scraps an spending 10 minutes practicing . a monkey with a rock can do this.

riveting in rails is going to look like crap an your more likely to screw it up than welding .

a plug weld will be invisible when sanded down flat .,

I don't get the mentality of guys who have a kit an parts qworth over $500 an the money for jigs that are not needed an can afford $10+ boxes of ammo but cant afford the money or the time to build or by a good recvier ?????????????

just because we used to do it 10 years ago don't make it a good idea to day.

learn to do a plug weld learn to use a center punch an a caliper

what did all those jigs an special tools you don't need cost BTW.

a trunion drilling jig ?? use a post it note or a pair of modified tweezers.

whats next a special toll to install the dust cover ?

I don't have any of this stuff an I build aks every night .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.