Gunco Forums banner

Anybody build an AK like this?

6K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  jimraynor21 
#1 ·
#3 ·
JackSquat has great products. The old three piece weld packs did not have top rails.I still have a few sets I bought from Sangrunhunter. I think Jacks have them pre bent allready. You should see his new layer sandwich AR lowers!
BTW: the weld up AK receivers are VERY stout. Go ahead & try one . Nice to have something different than the rest of the Crowd.

#7 ·
JackSquat has great products. The old three piece weld packs did not have top rails.I still have a few sets I bought from Sangrunhunter. I think Jacks have them pre bent allready. You should see his new layer sandwich AR lowers!
BTW: the weld up AK receivers are VERY stout. Go ahead & try one . Nice to have something different than the rest of the Crowd.
Please tell..... I did a quick search and found nothing.

#11 ·
Welcome to the forum

Can't say anything about his 3 piece receivers, but it looks like he makes nice stuff, there's a few people that have built on these. The main thing is if you can weld.

#13 ·
Rikoshay, that is one more bad*ss bullpup. Impressive!!!!!

#18 ·
Heck, with the low recoil of an AR15 you could use JB Weld to hold the peices together, LOL.

Jack Squat had welded the peices in a few places and ground them down. If you look close at the pic you can see some of the spots where he welded.

For a 3 peice flat I would use a peice of aluminum on the inside to control the heat and prevent any blow-thru.

#19 ·
Getting them welded is the least of your problems, after the welding the real fun begins. Because the extra .5mm is on the outside rather than the inside, nothing fits. Top cover, selector, axis pins, selector stop and probably others that I don't remember at the moment. As I said before, way more trouble than they're worth.

#25 ·
You are right about the dimensions, I ran into that back in the day when all three bits were still held together by "tabs". The very early ones were horrible, and you had to go search for 1.6MM pins to make it work, or bore out detent holes....Neither was a good solution.

I finally ended up cutting the three plates apart with a dremel, shaving down the bottom plate a bit, and the front and rear trunnions. I was making my own center support using truck brake tube at the time, and heat treating it along with the rest of the shell. Ah, the good old days....

Personally, I abandoned the three plate receiver after a number of issues. But I still did make some pretty good AKs using this process and materials.

My experience is that Bending or buying Bent shells is the way to go. However: I am not the best welder this country has ever produced. Perhaps a more skilled guy could do better.

As a footnote: All of my three plate builds have been de-milled and rebuilt using 1.6mm bent shells. This was due to two receivers exhibiting cracks along or adjacent to the long assed welds that held the three plates together. I am more than willing to take the blame, and my welding skills might have passed in a Tank Factory, Circa 1917. Just sayin....

Regards,

#20 ·
SURE BEEN A LOT OF GUYS WANTING TO THINGS THE HARD OR ASKING ABOUT WAYS THINGS USED TO BE DONE LATELY.

ARE THERE NO FLATS OR BENT BLANKS AVALAIBLE ANY MORE ?

I SAW SOME INTERESTING PISTOL / FOLDER TRUNIONS THAT WERE A BUNCH OF PLATES YOU STACK WELD TOGETHER I WAS THINKING OF TRYING .

#22 ·
Naw! Just guys who are looking at the whole cost of Bent Flats. We all ended up working around to it over a period of time. For the newest guys, they are looking at this like it was bright and shiney new....

Let's face it, when we started this hobby, we used rubber mallets, c-clamps, and blocks of steel, aluminium, or wood as a guide. Hell, I filed my first top rails by hand because I did not trust myself to use the Dremel for fear of taking too much metal off. My first several heat-treats were done in molten lead! I still like that method by the way....

I saw some of those trunnion concepts too. I am NOT a fan. Unlike the AR-15, the AK design uses the Trunnion as additional anti-explosive armour for want of a better term. That trunnion is a safety factor, as well as a locking device, and structural member for the assembly of the rifle. The stacked ones, well I would need a lot of time to think about those...

Regards,

#24 ·
If anybody has any questions in regards to the cut receivers being "over heated" or changed because of the heat; I had a heck of a time trying to mill out the opening for the magwell. Was using carbide endmills and thought "oh, this will be easy".

Ended up using the HF 4 inch grinder to hack the sides out of the magwell.

#26 ·
I just wish that they polish underfolder 3 piece flats were in stock.
If you really want to try one of these, just send him a message or call him and ask if he can do one up and notify you when it's ready. If I remember right he has his own laser cutter and does all this stuff himself.

1biggun
Look at the pics of the mag well, there's tabs that go into slots to line everything up.
He says his works with drums & stick mags, the other brand sheet metal ones that aren't made any more only work with the drums unless you mod it.

#27 ·
He says his works with drums & stick mags, the other brand sheet metal ones that aren't made any more only work with the drums unless you mod it.
I have a couple of the Lichtenberg(?) magwells. They were $75 or so each by the time I got them to my door. Considering the amount of cutting, hammering, welding, and grinding apparent, I felt it was a reasonable price.

When I found Jack's DIY magwells I bought a couple "just in case." Yeah, they're more work, but at that price, passing on them would be silly...

#28 ·
Yeah that's the name, Lichtenberg. I got one of his too, but haven't done anything with it yet, and I agree his are nice but the down side is you have to mod them to use stick mags.

#30 ·
I used TIG to fuse the edges on one of these, think it was 16 gauge (1/16").

t
I would have to call you an artist then! That's awesome work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.